Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is better don't be bias
Los angeles 27 36.99%
chicago 46 63.01%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

I don't think you can really compare these two cities. People move to both for very different reasons.

People move to Chicago because they like the urban vibe, density, nightlife and vibrancy of the city.

People move to LA for its weather, nightlife, laid back feel, and its bizarre vibe (which I like...not bizarre in a bad way).

I love both cities. Depending on what I value most at the time I could choose either city.

I don't think you would go wrong with either choice, I'm damn glad both are US cities.

I dunno...I like Chicago more but I would never down LA, or NYC, or San Francisco... They are all great cities and hold their own with any city in the world IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 01:53 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
It's just more comfortable living in Los Angeles than Chicago. Live outdoors all year long, grow vegetables/oranges in your back yard that are harvested year-round. The sports comments are all about watching sports rather than doing sports & why Los Angeles is much more of a "sports city."

On a cool winter day, you put on a wind-breaker. People wear flip/flops all year. Your wardrobe is just light clothing. You can wear a t-shirt outdoors all year. Climate plays a much bigger role than Chicago fans are willing to admit. When it is sunny every day for months you feel like going outside & enjoying a swim or tennis. Leave your windows open all night all year.

The freeways are a nightmare of-course & mass transit is less effective in LA due to spread of city & natural barriers [mts]. Chicago has LA beat hands down in terms of transportation. But you don't have to use your car heater in LA [oh well

I like trees more than buildings so a high-rise city isn't all that attractive. The comment about palm trees is only partly correct. The native California fan palm grow in oasis' in the desert [about 100 miles away]. But palm trees of every variety, flowering subtropical trees in winter, flowers growing everywhere all year make it fun to be outside.

Chicago has nothing like Hollywood so the comments about more plays is incorrect. Los Angeles has more small theater groups than even New York due to number of actors in LA [I did not know this]. Nightlife also is more fun in LA where you can go outside by a pool for drinks both at home and at a club [btw I do not have a pool but my neighbors do]. There's more energy at night in LA, more clubs, entertainment, dining.

The mix of cultural foods is what makes many people come to Los Angeles. Trends in food often start here. You can't get the sheer variety of restaurants in Chicago w/ Asian/Latin just one example. You eat outdoors in LA all year. There aren't any commercial wines grown in LA county anymore but you can grow grapes in LA, not Chicago. Also the nearby agriculture of figs from the desert, every kind of fruit & vegetable grown all year are shipped daily to LA restaurants/markets in abundance.

People want to come to Los Angeles much more than wanting to visit Chicago. The glamour & natural beauty draws people from around the world to California, not Illinois.

And on and one

Old 05-27-2008, 02:01 PM

162 posts, read 271,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
It's just more comfortable living in Los Angeles than Chicago. Live outdoors all year long, grow vegetables/oranges in your back yard that are harvested year-round. The sports comments are all about watching sports rather than doing sports & why Los Angeles is much more of a "sports city."

On a cool winter day, you put on a wind-breaker. People wear flip/flops all year. Your wardrobe is just light clothing. You can wear a t-shirt outdoors all year. Climate plays a much bigger role than Chicago fans are willing to admit. When it is sunny every day for months you feel like going outside & enjoying a swim or tennis. Leave your windows open all night all year.

The freeways are a nightmare of-course & mass transit is less effective in LA due to spread of city & natural barriers [mts]. Chicago has LA beat hands down in terms of transportation. But you don't have to use your car heater in LA [oh well

I like trees more than buildings so a high-rise city isn't all that attractive. The comment about palm trees is only partly correct. The native California fan palm grow in oasis' in the desert [about 100 miles away]. But palm trees of every variety, flowering subtropical trees in winter, flowers growing everywhere all year make it fun to be outside.

Chicago has nothing like Hollywood so the comments about more plays is incorrect. Los Angeles has more small theater groups than even New York due to number of actors in LA [I did not know this]. Nightlife also is more fun in LA where you can go outside by a pool for drinks both at home and at a club [btw I do not have a pool but my neighbors do]. There's more energy at night in LA, more clubs, entertainment, dining.

The mix of cultural foods is what makes many people come to Los Angeles. Trends in food often start here. You can't get the sheer variety of restaurants in Chicago w/ Asian/Latin just one example. You eat outdoors in LA all year. There aren't any commercial wines grown in LA county anymore but you can grow grapes in LA, not Chicago. Also the nearby agriculture of figs from the desert, every kind of fruit & vegetable grown all year are shipped daily to LA restaurants/markets in abundance.

People want to come to Los Angeles much more than wanting to visit Chicago. The glamour & natural beauty draws people from around the world to California, not Illinois.

And on and one
We are talking Los Angeles vs. Chicago., not Illinois vs. California

California is obviously a nicer state than Illinois but is Los Angeles a better city than Chicago?

The natural beauty in California is outside of Los Angeles.

Myself, I would rather live in Los Angeles than Chicago because I am more familiar with the place and I have a lot of family in Los Angeles, but I don't necessarily think Los Angeles is a better city than Chicago.

Last edited by KYLE1; 05-27-2008 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-27-2008, 02:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:

And on and one
Seeing that Chicago is in the top 5 tourist cities in the USA, Im confused by your statement. Also seeing that Chicago restaurants are always rated well, and has won the title of "best restaurant city" by some publications, and also voted as having the single best restaurant in the USA (Alinea) as well.
Alinea (restaurant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Chicago also has another "top 50 restaurants in the world" rating in Charlie Trotter's. Hmmm, dont see a single L.A. entry...
Restaurant (magazine) Top 50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes, grapes can be grown here, there are several vinyards in the area.
List of wineries in Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anything else you care to be wrong about?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:33 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
We are talking Los Angeles vs. Chicago., not Los Angeles vs Chicago.

California is obviously a nicer state than Illinois but is Los Angeles a better city than Chicago?

The natural beauty in California is outside of Los Angeles.

Myself, I would rather live in Los Angeles than Chicago because I am more familiar with the place and I have a lot of family in Los Angeles, but I don't necessarily think Los Angeles is a better city than Chicago.
Your first sentence is confusing, but I get your point.

The "natural beauty" is within Los Angeles [ie Pacific ocean- btw Chicago doesn't have a Venice Beach]. Los Angeles has a mountain range that cuts right though the city w/ fantastic views as good or better than high-rise buildings. All the cities that surround LA are considered part of the greater LA area & some were once part of the city [Beverly Hills, West Hollywood].

Old 05-27-2008, 03:56 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
LA definitely has more stuff to do because of the weather and the landscape. Beaches to skiing, you can do it all. However, coming from the East Coast, I need a city that hustles. LA seems really laid back and spread out. Chicago has definitely more of a city feel.

Steve, please don't compare the women in LA with women from the Midwest. No contest! It reminded me when you were comparing the beaches in Illinois with the beaches in Florida. Come on dude!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:12 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:

And on and one
Los Angeles is a great city to get first hand views in the entertainment industry. Film, television, and it's also a great city for art.

But it's not as well known for Broadway and off Broadway as Chicago and New York are. Those are true "theatre" cities, where such troups as Steppenwolf, Broadway, The Oriental, and other great theatres.

There are no "live performance" cities like Chicago or New York when it comes to theatre, although LA is a fantastic music city.

I also disagree with your nightlife quote. LA nightlife Is fantastic, but Chicago has the same quantity and quality, and the bars stay open nearly 4 hours later!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Chicago definitely has the bar scene and the blues clubs! But LA has way more upscale and trendy night clubs.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Steve, please don't compare the women in LA with women from the Midwest. No contest! It reminded me when you were comparing the beaches in Illinois with the beaches in Florida. Come on dude!
First off, youre correct. You cant compare women from the midwest to LA's women, thats not even fair. That would be like me comparing women from Needles, CA or Furnace Creek, CA to those found in Chicago. But overall, women in Chicago are dang fine, and the area has spawned some of the most beautiful women on the planet, not to mention the worlds most famous supermodel. All those women you see in LA are more than likely NOT natives.

Secondly, I dont recall off the top of my head comparing IL beaches to Florida's. No contest there, youre correct. I often compare MI's beaches to CA's, is that what youre talking about? And if thats the case, yes, I firmly believe western MI has some of the best beaches in the country, and many others would agree.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 PM

595 posts, read 2,743,042 times
Quote:
Yay, when it comes to natural beauty, LA wins, but when it comes to everything else, Chicago's got it beat. It's much more of an actual city. It has a downtown people actually enjoy walking around. When I say that, I mean downtown is more than just tall office buildings. We have museums, great shopping and restaurants, awesome parks, historic architecture, and so on. When people around here want to get out for the day, they say their going downtown, cus they know that theres plenty to do.

Also, if we ever get tired of the big city, we still have Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, just a couple hours away. Lake Michigan is just like the ocean, just with smaller waves. Steve-o is right, it still has great beaches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City