Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is better don't be bias
Los angeles 27 36.99%
chicago 46 63.01%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,698,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
Last I heard, it was suppose to be 80 degrees in Chicago today. I find that not too be cold.
check the temperatures and windchill for the past 6 months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:38 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
Los Angeles all the way for me. I live in NYC and LA is the only other american city I would live in. There are elements of manhattan glam out there (albeit a very suburban version), and after being in the city (read new york city), it is a breath of fresh air to have some space, sunshine and sunglasses. Santa Monica, westwood, beverly hills, west hollywood specificaly. Nowhere, including LA, can give me the vibrancy of NY, but LA does something that Chicago can't...offer something completly different. I also work in TV and film, and Chicago isnt an option for that...at all.
Haha want some space, go to Houston! (No pun intended!) That was just a small joke, but seriously, LA and Chicago draw parallel things from each other, they're better in the things the other lack. Which makes them pretty even.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Haha want some space, go to Houston! (No pun intended!) That was just a small joke, but seriously, LA and Chicago draw parallel things from each other, they're better in the things the other lack. Which makes them pretty even.
As a Chicagoan who has been trapped by her career in LA for the past few years, Chicago is by far the superior city.

Los Angeles has a lot of media power, this is true. And what fabulous things it generates-- Britney Spears, cringingly awful Hollywood cinema of unspeakable mediocrity, Hannah Montana and oh, yes. How could we forget? (insert medical drama here).

I hate Hollywood. We would be so much better off were it to disappear.

I do miss the theatre, opera and symphony of Chicago. As well as the utter convenience of life; I feel embarrassed by how suburban this town is. At no point in my early or mid twenties did I picture myself owning a house in an admittedly very expensive suburb. I was delighted when I purchased my townhome in Chicago; it was such an accomplishment. Out here they sell views of an utterly pitiful downtown against the scrub brush and sage hills at a premium price. This premium is placed entirely on the egos and illusion of a very small minority of the citizens of this state.

But the weather is gorgeous, this much is true. It's like a Mediterranean city but without any history, art, culture, civilization, cuisine or architecture.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:42 PM

305 posts, read 771,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
But the weather is gorgeous, this much is true. It's like a Mediterranean city but without any history, art, culture, civilization, cuisine or architecture.
Let's not fabricate things here, ok?

Old 04-02-2010, 11:56 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
...http://yahoofreak.com/animated%20emoticons/Smile%20Animated%20Emoticons/eat%20sandwich%20and%20drink%20cola.gif (broken link)

Old 04-03-2010, 12:06 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
As a Chicagoan who has been trapped by her career in LA for the past few years, Chicago is by far the superior city.

Los Angeles has a lot of media power, this is true. And what fabulous things it generates-- Britney Spears, cringingly awful Hollywood cinema of unspeakable mediocrity, Hannah Montana and oh, yes. How could we forget? (insert medical drama here).

I do miss the theatre, opera and symphony of Chicago. As well as the utter convenience of life; I feel embarrassed by how suburban this town is. At no point in my early or mid twenties did I picture myself owning a house in an admittedly very expensive suburb. I was delighted when I purchased my townhome in Chicago; it was such an accomplishment. Out here they sell views of an utterly pitiful downtown against the scrub brush and sage hills at a premium price. This premium is placed entirely on the egos and illusion of a very small minority of the citizens of this state.

I think we all "read" your bias quite clearly & your questionable statements only amplify some inferiority issues in my opinion. For anyone to suggest that Los Angeles has no culture generally means that the conversation has sunk to the absurd level. No need to respond anymore since provocation seems to be your motive!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:12 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
Quote:

NO art or culture? No history? Saying chicago is far superior is subjective. I know alot of people who have said the complete opposite.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Both are so different, Chicago city itself blows LA downtown out of the water, but if you live in LA you've got far more than Downtown, with many diverse districts such as Long Beach, Hollywood, Topanga etc, the beautiful ocean, canyons, mountains, desert.etc. Around Chicago it just seems there is generic Midwestern farmland.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:35 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:

Thats a little extreme. I said eariler that I thought Chicagos cultural offereings were better, but LA still offers alot.

I dont know why a city needs architecture to be good. Its like when people go on and on about which city had a better skyline. Who cares? They are buildings meant for people to work in. If you need to see tall buildings, look at a picture.

As for food, it depends on what you like. Chicago has an amazing food scene, but LA's is definately up there. The only thing I was never able to find in LA was a decent Chicago style pizza. They have a Rosati's in Corona, but thats a long way to go (when youre living in El Segundo). But LA defintately has far superior Asian cuisine. LA also offers alot of foods that are very healthy and has better fusion cuisine than Chicago. As to which city has better food overall, I did give that edge to Chicago, but thats just my opinion on what I like to eat.

But as must people will tell you, whats great about LA (and why so many live there) is the weather and topography. It is a city set in one of the most prestine environments in the world. We never had to worry about bad days, we could go to the beach year round, we could go hiking, we could go to the desert, and we could go skiing in the winter/spring.

What is great about LA isnt so much the city itself, but the whole area. Its a place you can spend your entire year outdoors. Whats great about Chicago is the city itself. Theres not too much to the outdoors in Chicago or Illinois in comparrison.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Thats a little extreme. I said eariler that I thought Chicagos cultural offereings were better, but LA still offers alot.

I dont know why a city needs architecture to be good. Its like when people go on and on about which city had a better skyline. Who cares? They are buildings meant for people to work in. If you need to see tall buildings, look at a picture.

As for food, it depends on what you like. Chicago has an amazing food scene, but LA's is definately up there. The only thing I was never able to find in LA was a decent Chicago style pizza. They have a Rosati's in Corona, but thats a long way to go (when youre living in El Segundo). But LA defintately has far superior Asian cuisine. LA also offers alot of foods that are very healthy and has better fusion cuisine than Chicago. As to which city has better food overall, I did give that edge to Chicago, but thats just my opinion on what I like to eat.

But as must people will tell you, whats great about LA (and why so many live there) is the weather and topography. It is a city set in one of the most prestine environments in the world. We never had to worry about bad days, we could go to the beach year round, we could go hiking, we could go to the desert, and we could go skiing in the winter/spring.

What is great about LA isnt so much the city itself, but the whole area. Its a place you can spend your entire year outdoors. Whats great about Chicago is the city itself. Theres not too much to the outdoors in Chicago or Illinois in comparrison.
What is Chicago 'deep-dish' pizza. Kind of like thick-crust from Dominoes or Pizza Hut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City