Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Cities Could Be Considered Sports Capitals of the US?
Boston 105 59.32%
New York City 77 43.50%
Philadelphia 80 45.20%
Los Angeles 53 29.94%
San Francisco 25 14.12%
Seattle 11 6.21%
Miami 15 8.47%
Denver 16 9.04%
Chicago 71 40.11%
Dallas 40 22.60%
Atlanta 24 13.56%
Las Vegas 11 6.21%
Phoenix 5 2.82%
Houston 14 7.91%
Nashville 8 4.52%
Charlotte 5 2.82%
Indianapolis 14 7.91%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 21 11.86%
Kansas City 10 5.65%
Other City 20 11.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 07:05 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times

Advertisements

Is Boston so enthusiastic about sports that they’re willing to go the extra mile even if it involves being a bit racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 07:10 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle cares about the Husky football team. (The number of heart issues across the city right now, as they won a thriller against a rival they should've beaten easily...)

For past generations, the Huskies were the biggest game in town. They're still embedded in our psyche.
I think it’s just a PNW thing. UWash Wash State Eastern Wash. Oregon and Oregon State + Portland St. all have dedicated fanbases. Outside of USC west coast doesn’t go crazy over its college sports.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:29 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I think it’s just a PNW thing. UWash Wash State Eastern Wash. Oregon and Oregon State + Portland St. all have dedicated fanbases. Outside of USC west coast doesn’t go crazy over its college sports.
Really? Washington State and Oregon State are last and next to last in PAC 12 FB attendance and have the two smallest stadiums. Fresno State has more football fans than all of those except Udub and Oregon. I'd put Gonzaga basketball up there before Portland state.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Really? Washington State and Oregon State are last and next to last in PAC 12 FB attendance and have the two smallest stadiums. Fresno State has more football fans than all of those except Udub and Oregon. I'd put Gonzaga basketball up there before Portland state.
Replace a PNW with another PNW school. You (inadvertently) proved my point.

I may have been a little harsh against Cali only mentioning USC. Stanford has a great athletics program and a large turnout. Fresno State? Don't make me laugh. It's not about the size of the stadium; its about the percentage filled.

100K seats only at 40% capacity is worse than 30k fans at 100% capacity, which is Oregon St and Washington St.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yeah. Earlier someone said that western cities aren’t as passionate as eastern cities. I think the real geographical skewing is to the north. Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Boston and Philly are crazy about sports. Miami, Atlanta and Phoenix are relatively dull at supporting sports.
Highlighted cities still bring in tons of revenue and are great hosts cities for events. That was OP's point.

LA and NYC may not have rabid fanbases, but their brand carries more weight than any city in the country.
They are globally recognized. Lakers could win 20 games in a season and people would still go to the Staples Center to watch a game because it's the "thing to do" . The allure of going to LA is similar to that of NYC, Miami, and now Vegas, and most importantly those are the cities players want to go to if possible.

Buffalo and Green Bay are prime examples. Both have a passionate fanbase with little pull for fans and players; it's a small market team, with terrible weather and little to nonexistent night life.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:41 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Replace a PNW with another PNW school. You (inadvertently) proved my point.

I may have been a little harsh against Cali only mentioning USC. Stanford has a great athletics program and a large turnout. Fresno State? Don't make me laugh. It's not about the size of the stadium; its about the percentage filled.

100K seats only at 40% capacity is worse than 30k fans at 100% capacity, which is Oregon St and Washington St.
I didn't post anything inadvertently. I mentioned Gonzaga intentionally to show that other than Udub and Oregon, that your post was way off base. I wasn't and still aren't sure if you're serious with Portland State and the last two teams in Pac12 attendance. I may be missing a joke.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:59 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Boston, Philly, Chicago or St. Louis in no particular order are heads and shoulders above other cities in terms of how ride or die their fanbases are.

LA/NYC have sheer scale, but to many non-locals that adopt the teams for clout.

I’d put Seattle/Detroit over the likes of Pittsburgh, DC, Baltimore, Dallas, Atlanta, MSP, Denver, Miami, etc..

Old 11-25-2023, 09:24 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Boston, Philly & Chicago would be top 3. New York is more diluted and not as heavily into sports as those three, but would still make a top 10. The rest would probably be rounded out by Midwestern cities like Minneapolis, Milwaukee & Cincinnati who are die-hard for the teams they do have. I could see an argument made for Dallas to represent the South where they’re die hard for football and they sell well for the Rangers & Mavs too.
Agreed. Living in NJ, like I said in another post, not really NYC heavy/as sport related to Philly and Boston, for sure.

I mean the town next to MetLife uses the Patriots’ logo in their High School sports. The non-allegiance to me eliminates NYC area alone.

Old 11-25-2023, 09:32 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Having lived in other metros, I think that LA has very good fan support across the board. The Dodgers have the highest attendance in MLB. They're a big deal here and support is up there with baseball anywhere. Attendance for other major sports are all decent and comparable to most of the cities being discussed.

On the other hand, people in LA do have tons of interests outside of organized sports. We have water cooler conversations about the Lakers, Dodgers, and SC but it's not like some of the other areas of the country where such talk really dominates. That probably means that LA isn't a "sports capital" but it's wrong to characterize it as a bad sports city where teams aren't supported.
The Summer Olympics are almost exclusively the domain of alpha global cities. The smallest summer games host ever was Antwerp, and St. Louis only got them on a technicality from Chicago in 1904.

NYC, Boston, and D.C. have either never hosted/got passed over by the IOC. That's why the constant minimizing of the Olympics.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:27 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The Summer Olympics are almost exclusively the domain of alpha global cities. The smallest summer games host ever was Antwerp, and St. Louis only got them on a technicality from Chicago in 1904.

NYC, Boston, and D.C. have either never hosted/got passed over by the IOC. That's why the constant minimizing of the Olympics.
The us olympics committee selected Boston to host 2024. The taxpayers didn’t want it.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-s-olympic-bid

Looks like la taxpayers are worried about the infrastructure upgrades needed to be invested by taxpayers for a one month event.
https://www.surfacemag.com/articles/...r-los-angeles/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City