Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Cities Could Be Considered Sports Capitals of the US?
Boston 105 59.32%
New York City 77 43.50%
Philadelphia 80 45.20%
Los Angeles 53 29.94%
San Francisco 25 14.12%
Seattle 11 6.21%
Miami 15 8.47%
Denver 16 9.04%
Chicago 71 40.11%
Dallas 40 22.60%
Atlanta 24 13.56%
Las Vegas 11 6.21%
Phoenix 5 2.82%
Houston 14 7.91%
Nashville 8 4.52%
Charlotte 5 2.82%
Indianapolis 14 7.91%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 21 11.86%
Kansas City 10 5.65%
Other City 20 11.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 09:17 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The Olympics are terrible on the economies of the cities that build up these infrastructures and have to maintain them. I would say Atlanta benefited from hosting them a long time ago, and most of its facilities now have been moved to convention centers or still nature projects. Also, not all places in the US can support the summer sports. Is there a river good for whitewater rafting competitions? Atlanta used the Toccoa (one of the only north-flowing rivers in the world) that goes into Tennessee. Does LA have such an option, or did LA dam it all up for water and power?
In 84 canoeing and rowing was in Lake Casitas in Ventura county. Shooting was in Chino (Prado Park). Water Polo was in Malibu at Pepperdine. Sailing was in Long Beach.

You could argue 3 "centers" of the olympics: the Coliseum where the opening and closing ceremonies were, the Olympic village at USC or the Athletes village at UCLA.
Lake Casitas is 80 miles from USC or the Coliseum.
Prado park is 43 miles from the Coliseum.

In 28, canoeing, kayaking, and rowing is planned to be in either Sepulveda Basin Park (LA, Van Nuys, Encino, or Sherman Oaks depending on where they build it) or Long Beach. Shooting is going to be at Sepulveda. Water Polo in Long beach. Sailing at Long Beach. 28 will be a much more compact games EXCEPT the preliminary football matches - they are planning on playing at the Rose Bowl, SoFi, BMO, and the 49ers stadium, UC Berkley's, Stanford's, and in San Jose.

In the 24 bid, Boston would have had the canoeing and kayaking way out on the Connecticut and Deerfield rivers in Deerfield and Westfield. 99 miles from Seaport! Rowing was planned on the Merrimack in Lowell - why not the Charles?? - but just 30 miles from Seaport. Boxing was planned at UMass Lowell's basketball arena. Basketball would be at the Garden. Mountain Biking would be at Nashoba Valley, 30 miles from Seaport.
Athletes Village was planned at Bayside Expo in Dorchester. In 2015, that was the location of a failed mall that became an expo center that UMass Boston bought in 2010 after it closed and went in to foreclosure. In 2015 the roof collapsed under 40"+ of snow .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 10:54 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Anyone else's egos hurt by those numbers?

Seattle looks terrible with 3 total, and even that counts our Stanley Cup before it was really the Stanley Cup (or so hockey people tell me). Even MLS only gets us to 5. Can we count WNBA, rugby, and college sports to at least reach double figures?

Old 11-28-2023, 11:04 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It would be interesting to see the data kept to this century. 23 years is a really long time.
I would include MLS wins too.

Heck making the playoffs is a big deal. There are teams that make championship games frequently but didn't close the deal. I bet those cities were all buzzing just because the team made it that far.

Houston Astros has been in 4 of the last 6 World series. The 2 wins doesn't give a full picture of the last few years

Old 11-28-2023, 11:13 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:

Seattle looks terrible with 3 total, and even that counts our Stanley Cup before it was really the Stanley Cup (or so hockey people tell me). Even MLS only gets us to 5. Can we count WNBA, rugby, and college sports to at least reach double figures?
Yeah throwing in other sports outside "the big 4" makes this a turkey shoot.

Baltimore is the mecca for US Lacrosse and host The Preakness & Maryland Cycling Classic, but how do you even compare that Denver's NBA & NHL team which Baltimore lacks.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:45 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Bigger cities can run into issues.

For one, there's generally more to do.

Two, a nice, non-subsidized arena might rely on a lack of competing arenas. Seattle had some trouble with earlier arena concepts due to Key Arena's existence (it was mostly rebuilt as Climate Pledge, solving the problem and potentially opening the way for the NBA's return). Smaller cities might not have this issue as often.

Three, if the bigger city isn't as passionate about a team, it might be harder to pass public support, whether that's a major subsidy or smaller offsite work like street redos.

Four, bigger cities can require more time to get to games. An hour trip after a 10:00 ending on a weeknight can be too much.

I'm just spitballing here, and these aren't necessarily applicable to these cities.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:50 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:

Was there a total numbers of sports championships by city posted? I missed it and can’t find it but I see a list on Wikipedia. It doesn’t surprise me and generally follows the poll.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:08 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Was there a total numbers of sports championships by city posted? I missed it and can’t find it but I see a list on Wikipedia. It doesn’t surprise me and generally follows the poll.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Pro...y-City-2228259

Unsurprisingly, it’s New York, Boston, and Chicago as far as “the big four” sports. Although I don’t understand certain data, e.g. the Bears winning 11 NFL Superbowls and Championships. I think it’s 9.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:29 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
While I wouldn't consider it the sports capital, there is plenty of sports entertainment in Minneapolis - St. Paul:

MLB
NFL
NBA
NHL
MLS
WNBA
PWHL
AAA Baseball
Two D-1 Universities

Last edited by YIMBY; 11-28-2023 at 04:52 PM..

Old 11-28-2023, 04:52 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
While I wouldn't consider it the sports capital, there is plenty of sports entertainment in Minneapolis - St. Paul:

MLB
NFL
NBA
NHL
MLS
WNBA
AAA Baseball
Two D-1 Universities
https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...s-value-2017-5

Minneapolis is a secondtier city in terms of revenue. Let's stop trying to push this narrative it's up there with the big boys. It's below Phoenix of all cities.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:58 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...s-value-2017-5

Minneapolis is a secondtier city in terms of revenue. Let's stop trying to push this narrative it's up there with the big boys. It's below Phoenix of all cities.
Also AAA baseball is really reaching to the back of the fridge for a thread like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City