Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:08 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times

Advertisements

Depends. I think the weather is what it ultimately boils down to. If you like hot weather, L.A. beats New York. If you like cold weather, the opposite occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 06:28 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Neither.

-Both are overpriced.
-Both have crime problems in certain areas.
-Both have the potential to become the next victim of a large scale terror attack.
-Both have a high probablity of being destroyed by a natural disaster.
-L.A. is always warm, no seasons. NYC gets too cold and too humid.

I could go on but you get the point. Honolulu, Hawaii seems nice.
Yep,,agree

Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 PM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
How do know that for sure unless you've visited NYC? Seems odd you dismiss any place without having been there?
That's kind of like not going to see a movie because you've seen bad reviews of it. I wouldn't be so quick to judge a place without going there and getting firsthand knowledge.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:50 PM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I know that NYC has entertainment and variety,but i've always just enjoyed what L.A offers.
I think a trip to NYC to see it firsthand should be on the agenda for you, my happy California friend.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:51 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,605 times
I wish NY or CA had the cost of living like that of Houston or Atlanta.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:05 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
Both cities have their share of thugs. In New York, you could get run over by a "diplomatic immunity" character with UN tags. In Los Angeles, you'd better watch out for Paris Hilton when she leaves the nightclub.

I vote for a long life and plenty of cheap corn. Des Moines anyone?
After all, this is George Bush's America. In Los Angeles, you'll struggle to find a real middle class area (as polarization between the Paris Hilton rich and immigrant poor is striking). In Des Moines, you can get paid to grow corn, and watch corn grow.
As a BONUS, you can go to Applebees OR TGI Fridays for dinner. They have them everywhere in this country.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:26 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
I love LA, so I think I am standing alone.

I don't have time to post much tonight but I will say that I miss LA terribly.

People being shallow???? It is all in who you choose to associate with. My friends were typically well educated, concerned for others, weren't overly concerned with looks or shallow endevors.

I love that you can go snow skiing and surfing in the same weekend if you want to (I stopped surfing after a bad accident, but it can be done.) There is always something to do that doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

I would move back to LA in a heartbeat if my husband would agree.

Dawn

Old 06-10-2007, 05:09 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,605 times
Where do you live now Dawn?

Old 12-28-2007, 07:32 PM

8 posts, read 14,096 times
Default ESCAPE FROM NY to LA

Well, I have been all over (New Orleans, New England) and I currently live in NY and although LA has its land slides, its earthquakes and its firestorms, NY has a natural disaster that I don't think FEMA or any emergency program can prepare for and that's THE PEOPLE OF NY (whom I also call the natural "wildlife").

First off, NYers are only nice to you IF THEY WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU. New Jack City was not based on NY for nothing, plus any New Yorker will tell you that whenever they go out of state, they get harassed more often than anybody else from other areas, and why is that? I mean, there are bad people from other states, but ion order for one particular state to get harassed so consistently, evidently there is a problem with that place's great culture or It must be due to the THEIR HISTORY OF HUSTLING! New Yorkers are known for hustling and, if you don't believe me, just talk to the nearest bodega man or the nearest passer by who will give you tips on how to lie, connive,bs, and con your out of something from somebody by telling you, "overstate *for instance* you car then talk em down". These people live and breathe conning. When I first came here and I was searching for a room to rent (the stories of "I have a room" yet I am an actress will round out my superficial portion of how NY is) I got constant advice telling me how to con my way out of paying for a room. On top of that, though I lived in high crime New Orleans, the only time I got attacked was when I was living in NY after a Mexican in Bronx tried to force himself on me. Thankfully I fought him off. They also feel that if they do something for you, you HAVE to give them something in return and no one does anything out of the sincerety of their hearts unless they are looking for pay and because of the abberant culture, it is perfectly acceptable to be predatory and live in a blind, sociopathic society full of cretans who are all about getting what they want and doing things for others conditionally and feeling perfectly content with that (prob. cause they have no souls here)

As far as supeficiality is concerned, NYers have to be the most self obsessed people on the face of this Earth who literally live and breathe on romanticised, pumped up, overinflated stereotypes of themselves and they like to imagine themselves as being blunt. When I say blunt, blunt has two meanings, the first one being "obvious" and the other being "stupid" and I have come to the conclusion that, when they are blunt, they are being blunt because they are stupid due to the fact that they don't have the cerebral where with all to comprehend people and therefore express themslves in a more intelligent manner.

NY is #1 in Sexual Harassment (Anucha Brown Sanders/ New York Knicks ring a bell) where walking down the street becomes an all out fight for life as trolling predators believing you as a woman to be automatic bait for their "come ons" just because you happened to be minding your own business and walking down the street which are often close to attempted rape in their scope and approach in that, if you decline them, they will call you all sorts of name that the devil couldn't conjure up and the women look at you as if you are crazy if you fight back. I guess those women like being prey to predators. On the other hand, when I went to LA for a reality show and a guy was about to spin some crap about, "Ohhh you could be America's next top"...I stopped him dead in his tracks and you know what he did, he RESPECtED me and moved on. He didn't push himself on me and refused to respect my right to have a preference unlike those predators in NY (BTW the men of new englnad ARE FAR better looking than the crap that the NY women spawned from their stomaches)

As for superficial, it amazes me how so called wanna be actors (who look down on reality shows and other possible avenues to success and as far as my eyes are concerned, unless you are hallie Berry, Denzel or any of the others ACTUALLY making a living from it YOU' RE NOT AN ACTOR, but an aspiring actor who is currently waiting tables at Burger king) will tell you, "I rent an apartment". Well there must be a million darn millionaires in NY since the only way you could afford to live in NY (Even craphole Bronx) is if you make at least $200,000 a year and forget about Manhatten unless you are a millionaire. I just wanna say, "You don't have a damn apartment, but a room, you idiot". Here, more than often, if you are not wearing the right shoes, have the right look (Unless they can get something from ya) they look down on you and I don't know what it is about the northeast, but, just as the bitter winter winds are cold, so are the people and sometimes you can't read them or tell where they are coming from when interacting with them.

I would choose LA. If you are in acting, read the Bios of every major performer and even both Denzel and Whoopi (Who were born in NY had to move out to LA cause they knew that that was the place to make it and look at where they are now).

Also, I can't blame ginat monsters (The Cloverfield beast) for, err, exposing New York as the Cesspool capital or Con City that it is! Escape from NY

Old 12-29-2007, 01:08 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,525 times
^^^ Brit? I hope you're a girl 'cause,... je t'aime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City