Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionThis View Post
From what I hear it's also known as Sleezeside Heights by the rest of the State.
I was surprised, though--I went to Seaside last summer after sitting on the Parkway for way too long only to find the exit to Point Pleasant back up past the toll booth entrances. I was going to say the heck with it, turn around at the Seaside Heights exit and head back up the Parkway and hang out at the town pool instead of going to the beach.

But there was very little traffic at the Seaside exit, so we decided to bite the bullet and go to the beach there. Last time I was there, a few years back, it was infested with creepy drunk teenagers and 20-somethings and the buildings looked like they were crying out for a can of gasoline and a match. However, this time, the street where I parked had buildings that were all new construction and there were several more cleared sites with equipment sitting on it. The beach was nice and clean, and it was all families there. Maybe SH is trying to upgrade itself and make a comeback? I don't know--that was just on one end of town, but it looked much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was surprised, though--I went to Seaside last summer after sitting on the Parkway for way too long only to find the exit to Point Pleasant back up past the toll booth entrances. I was going to say the heck with it, turn around at the Seaside Heights exit and head back up the Parkway and hang out at the town pool instead of going to the beach.

But there was very little traffic at the Seaside exit, so we decided to bite the bullet and go to the beach there. Last time I was there, a few years back, it was infested with creepy drunk teenagers and 20-somethings and the buildings looked like they were crying out for a can of gasoline and a match. However, this time, the street where I parked had buildings that were all new construction and there were several more cleared sites with equipment sitting on it. The beach was nice and clean, and it was all families there. Maybe SH is trying to upgrade itself and make a comeback? I don't know--that was just on one end of town, but it looked much better.
I like Seaside, it has one of the best boardwalks you can find IMO. During the day the beaches are filled with families, and "appropriate" teenagers but once night falls the crazed young NYers come out.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:05 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think the point is that NJ itself doesn't contain the dominant cities for the major metro areas which include a big chunk of each end of the state. It's a fair point, even though state lines aren't as static as threads like this would suggest.
State lines do not matter ... especially when it is just as simple to cross the river into Manhattan (main business and cultural center of NYC) from NJ as it is from ANY of the other parts of NYC (Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Staten island). All of NYC's boroughs are separated from Manhattan by water, just like NJ is. NJ is a major, major, MAJOR part of NYC's metro area.

You never hear this crap in other parts of the country, like "Oh, northwestern Indiana is a wannabe Chicago!". LOL...

Old 03-24-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I'd pick North Carolina. I just can't find a reason to live in New Jersey, when places like NYC, Philadelphia, Westchester, Long Island, and Connecticut are so close by. North Carolina is an attractive place though. It would be my number one place to move to in the South. So much natural beauty and some very nice cities.
And NJ differs vastly from Westchester, Long Island, and Connecticut ... in which ways?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I think that's a common misperception of a lot of people who haven't gone into north Jersey much further west of the Turnpike. Most of north Jersey looks nothing like that. Travel inland 20 - 30 miles--it's really quite pretty. Lots of trees and parks, lakes and ponds, and the houses have large yards. Another 40 or 50 miles west and you'll find more space and the larger areas that are still heavily wooded.

North Jersey doesn't look like South Jersey because there are more hills and low mountains in the north as compared to the flatter coastal lands, and the northern woods are thicker with large trees like oaks and maples, whereas in South Jersey the scrub pines prevail, at least near the coastal areas. Both have their attributes, in my opinion--just different geography, different plant life.
I find the rural areas of North Jersey to be much more attractive than the rural areas of South Jersey. Mainly because of the hills and mountains, which South Jersey lacks.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:25 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
State lines do not matter
Well then, let's throw in SC, TN, and VA for NC then.

I'm being facetious. But the point I'm making is that, again, NJ doesn't contain any of the principal cities for metros of which large chunks of the state are included. As a state, it's more dependent on cities in neighboring states (NYC and Philly). That's not the case with NC, which is much more self-sufficient in this regard. That's a legitimate point to be made.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:27 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
I think that's a common misperception of a lot of people who haven't gone into north Jersey much further west of the Turnpike. Most of north Jersey looks nothing like that. Travel inland 20 - 30 miles--it's really quite pretty. Lots of trees and parks, lakes and ponds, and the houses have large yards. Another 40 or 50 miles west and you'll find more space and the larger areas that are still heavily wooded.

North Jersey doesn't look like South Jersey because there are more hills and low mountains in the north as compared to the flatter coastal lands, and the northern woods are thicker with large trees like oaks and maples, whereas in South Jersey the scrub pines prevail, at least near the coastal areas. Both have their attributes, in my opinion--just different geography, different plant life.
I was aware of this (especailly since I go to school in Newark and have friends from Sussex, Warren, and Hunterdon Counties), I was just pointing out what most people think of when they think of North Jersey.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:

I'm being facetious. But the point I'm making is that, again, NJ doesn't contain any of the principal cities for metros of which large chunks of the state are included. As a state, it's more dependent on cities in neighboring states (NYC and Philly). That's not the case with NC, which is much more self-sufficient in this regard. That's a legitimate point to be made.
True but unlike most states NJ's major cities are clustered together.
Newark borders Jersey City (that's over 510K all together) Both are among the densest cities in the nation as well (besides NYC, Paterson is the densest city in the nation, following JC after SF)
JC is only 14 square miles, and Newark is around 24

Charlotte is about 242 square miles.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:

But what does that really MATTER, when it could take 6 minutes to get to NYC from NJ? Are you implying that somebody that lives in Upstate NY, 3 hours from NYC, has an advantage over me, because they live within the state of NY, and I do not? Are you saying that somebody who lives 2 hours drive from Charlotte, in North Carolina, has an advantage over me, because I live 6 minutes from Manhattan?

It's all about convenience to GETTING to great places, who the heck cares if you cross an invisible state line in the process? It's a bizarre point you're trying to make. NJ's finest asset is it's location. If NJ had NOTHING of interest within it's borders, it'd still be a great place to live ... but NJ DOES indeed have amazing things within it's borders, as well as right across the rivers.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
But what does that really MATTER, when it could take 6 minutes to get to NYC from NJ? Are you implying that somebody that lives in Upstate NY, 3 hours from NYC, has an advantage over me, because they live within the state of NY, and I do not? Are you saying that somebody who lives 2 hours drive from Charlotte, in North Carolina, has an advantage over me, because I live 6 minutes from Manhattan?

It's all about convenience to GETTING to great places, who the heck cares if you cross an invisible state line in the process? It's a bizarre point you're trying to make. NJ's finest asset is it's location. If NJ had NOTHING of interest within it's borders, it'd still be a great place to live ... but NJ DOES indeed have amazing things within it's borders, as well as right across the rivers.
I think you're failing to understand that I essentially agree with you as far as the practicality of all of this is concerned. I was simply making a statement of fact. NC's largest urban areas are based/centered in NC. NJ's largest urban areas are based/centered in neighboring states. That's just how it is. NJ's biggest benefit is proximity, whereas NC has produced the major cities that drive its economy within its own borders. Just a fact; take it as you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City