Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 11:40 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
That's if your assuming that southerner is moving to the immidiate NYC metro area (NENJ)
Cumberland, Warren, Atlantic, and maybe even Sussex counties offer a similar price range, but that's if you don't mind living in these somewhat isolated counties.
Yes, I'm assuming they would do an "apples to apples" move; i.e. if they live in a suburb 20-30 minutes from Raleigh or Charlotte in NC they would move to a suburb 20-30 minutes from NY or Philly. If they live in an isolated, rural town in NC they would move to an isolated, rural town down south of Vineland or up in Sussex County, or the like.

Either way, they will not get as much house or property for their money in NJ. That's because NJ costs more, because NJ, overall, is more desirable to most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
How can you assume so? I don't deny the unbelieveable draw for many people to come to NYC. But its not like half the nation lives in NYc. It's CSA is at 23million (I'll give it extra people for argument sake) and the population of the nation is at 300 million. That is close to 10% of the nation lives there and 90% live elsewhere. Any comments about the vast majority is based on assumptions and is hard to quantify. That is not a knock against NYC and I am not discussing the economic impact of NYC because that is a different story. IMO, NYC is just not that appealing and I prefer down south. I know this is a rare opinion but I tend to be persuaded by my own thought and not other people.
So you said it yourself...Your opinion that the south is preferable is a rare one.

Obviously, certain individuals will choose NC over NJ due to a preference for the south, or the weather, or the lower cost, or whatever other reason. However, they are the minority. MOST people would choose NJ, and prices reflect that.

It's the same reason Hawaii is the most expensive state for everything - I'm sure there are millions who would love to live there but can't afford it. Same with California (esp. L.A., SF, SD) and other parts of the Northeast (Boston, DC, Philly).

Yes, there are always the people who prefer to live in Yuma, AZ over Los Angeles, or NC over NJ, or Syracuse over NYC, but they are the minority.

Half the nation lives in the Northeast (in the Bos-wash corridor) and the West coast. Half. That's where the demand is, and the supply is more limited than the supply of the rest of the country. Why is the demand so high??? These are the desirable places. It's just that simple.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
So you said it yourself...Your opinion that the south is preferable is a rare one.

Obviously, certain individuals will choose NC over NJ due to a preference for the south, or the weather, or the lower cost, or whatever other reason. However, they are the minority. MOST people would choose NJ, and prices reflect that.

It's the same reason Hawaii is the most expensive state for everything - I'm sure there are millions who would love to live there but can't afford it. Same with California (esp. L.A., SF, SD) and other parts of the Northeast (Boston, DC, Philly).

Yes, there are always the people who prefer to live in Yuma, AZ over Los Angeles, or NC over NJ, or Syracuse over NYC, but they are the minority.

Half the nation lives in the Northeast (in the Bos-wash corridor) and the West coast. Half. That's where the demand is, and the supply is more limited than the supply of the rest of the country. Why is the demand so high??? These are the desirable places. It's just that simple.
That rarity is based on stereotypes and generalizations mostly stated by individuals such as yourself. Good try in trying to spin my words on me.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:

About 55 million people of the 300 million live in the Bos-Wash corridor. That is not close to the 150 million needed to be half. Now if you reference GDP, you might have a point.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm assuming they would do an "apples to apples" move; i.e. if they live in a suburb 20-30 minutes from Raleigh or Charlotte in NC they would move to a suburb 20-30 minutes from NY or Philly. If they live in an isolated, rural town in NC they would move to an isolated, rural town down south of Vineland or up in Sussex County, or the like.

Either way, they will not get as much house or property for their money in NJ. That's because NJ costs more, because NJ, overall, is more desirable to most people.
NJ costs more because it has less land available. If NC had the amount of development that NJ had I'm sure it would be a better comparison as far as a true apples to apples comparison.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
NJ costs more because it has less land available. If NC had the amount of development that NJ had I'm sure it would be a better comparison as far as a true apples to apples comparison.
Right. That's why prices are higher in NJ. The fact that more people are willing to pay those higher prices is proof that it is more desirable to more people.

For example, McDonald's makes and sells a lot more chicken McNuggets than Ruth's Chris sells filet mignons. That's because there is a lot more chicken parts available to make into McNuggets. The supply is huge. Filet Mignon, however, has a much more limited supply. It is one relatively small piece of a huge cow. There just isn't that much of it. So, it's more expensive. There we see the mechanics of supply and demand in determining price.

However, if we were to look at desirability, the Filet Mignon is going to be more desirable to more people. If I were to offer 100 people, at random, on this forum a coupon for a free 20-piece McNuggets value meal or a free Filet Mignon dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, the vast majority would choose the Filet. Sure, there would still be some people (probably little kids or parents with little kids, or people with more of a taste for junk food than real, quality food) who would choose the McNuggets over the Filet. When you take away the cost to the buyer, which is determined by supply and demand, it becomes clear which choice is the most desirable to most people.

NJ is the land of Filet Mignon and Lexuses.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
I don't think that's a reason why it's so expensive. Alaska pretty expensive, and it has the least amount of land developed than any other state.
I'm not going to go on and saynj is more desirable, but the reason why it's so expensive is because it's the only state that's a complete
metro area of either NYC or Philly. It also has better schools than almost the whole country, it has the one of the lowest poverty rates, it has some ofthe highest paying jobs, and it's actually in the top 20 safest states.
I think these are all good reasons to be so expensive.

Like I said before. If nc had all these qualities, it wouldn't be cheap either.

I just think this comparison is stupid.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 PM

31 posts, read 36,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
It definitely does. But like Bergen County Johnny said earlier, if you offer a 4-bedroom house on a half acre in NJ, 20 miles from NYC, and an identical house on a half-acre 20 miles outside Raleigh, NC ... the vast majority would choose the NJ house.

The people who WANT to be near NYC. It's kind of a bold statement to say the majority. And besides, who ever said the majority is thinking with a full deck? Like what people are willing pay for a shoebox apartment in manhattan. People are willing to sacrafice (for a price) and put up with alot of things to be near NYC. And what do you say about the people in NC or another state that make a ton of money ,could afford to live in new NJ, but wouldn't be caught dead there. Are they missing something? No, maybe just having frazzled nerves and dealing with pompous people

Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
^ Dude just get over it. People don't want to live in New Jersey and if they live in New Jersey, they really probably want to live in New York. (BTW, what is New Jersey's big city?) I have nothing against New Jersey, but I guess people in the NE do. When I first moved here, people referred to New Jersey as the "dump next to New York." I didn't say it, they did--that's just Northeast brutality talkin'.

I pick North Carolina.
Pardon me, but being from South Jersey, I couldn't give a crap about what happens in NY, and would MUCH rather live in NJ. I grew up in one of the "rural pockets" of New Jersey. This "pocket" is better known as South Jersey, or NJ's better half in our opinion. It's clean, not crowded, not NY influenced, slight Philly influence, and is VERY scenic.

Also, I live in Vineland which I saw someone call isolated, if you ask me it has the perfect location. Half way between Philly and the Shore and surrounded by scenic farmland and the amazing Pine Barrens (as well as the marshes of Southern Cumberland County), what more could I want?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Also, to everyon here, NJ is a very scenic place where the differences between the rural areas and urban areas are vast and the change is quick. Some people all they care about is NYC, but for most of us we really DON'T CARE what happens to it. Yes, it's a draw and our nearest major city (tied with Philly) but that's not all NJ has to offer. There's great schools, a beautiful coastline (that can compete with any other coastline on that note, yes it's not as "exotic" as some, but is none-the less a beautiful scenic place with lots to do, including be completely by yourself with the ocean), forests, farms, small Americana towns, rivers and lakes for recreation, mountains, and much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City