Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
This "pocket" is better known as South Jersey, or NJ's better half in our opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
I'd pick New Jersey, probably north Jersey. Maybe someplace like Montclair. I'd prefer to be near NYC than Philly.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:23 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Pardon me, but being from South Jersey, I couldn't give a crap about what happens in NY, and would MUCH rather live in NJ. I grew up in one of the "rural pockets" of New Jersey. This "pocket" is better known as South Jersey, or NJ's better half in our opinion. It's clean, not crowded, not NY influenced, slight Philly influence, and is VERY scenic.

Also, I live in Vineland which I saw someone call isolated, if you ask me it has the perfect location. Half way between Philly and the Shore and surrounded by scenic farmland and the amazing Pine Barrens (as well as the marshes of Southern Cumberland County), what more could I want?
I don't know, South Jersey is so FLAT. I think the scenery in riural and semi-rural Northern NJ is much, much more interesting. You South Jersey people think of the congested NorthEAST part of the state when you think North Jersey ... but MOST of Northern NJ, geographically, falls in the semi-rural or rural categories.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Well I'll give you that. A lot of njians are stuck to money like white on rice. But I personally am not often associated with those arrogant people.
Just curious... Have you ever met anyone in nj who's just blue collar? You have plenty of blue collar towns in this state, and that's where you'll find the most down to earth people in the state.
Dome did a comparison including hillsdale, nj which is just snobville like many other towns in that area.
Give me wood-ridge, rutherford, or Union anyday over ridgewood or hillsdale.

Nj's natural beauty is great. It's not the best (I'll give you that) but it's nothing to complain about. (just rake a look at some of my albums)

The nj accent thrives. I don't know who's denying that.
Hmm ... the stereotypical NJ accent exists in SOME people, in a very small geographic corner of NJ (coincidentally, the corner of NJ that you reside in...which is why you may hear it often).

I've spent a lot of time in every county in NJ, and trust me, a VERY small percentage of NJ residents sport the stereotypical NJ accent. Usually it's old timers who have the accent, and in almost all cases, it's in the very small cluster of blue collar towns that directly border NYC. I grew up about 12 miles outside of Manhattan, and nobody had any semblance of a "NJ accent" where I grew up. We pronounce our R's unlike the New Yawkas.

Also, generally the higher the level of education, the less thick the accents tend to be (any accent, whether southern, northern, ethnic, etc). Since NJ is the #1 most educated state in the US, well...

Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 PM

73 posts, read 132,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
As a matter of fact the south has one of the fastest growing millionaire populations.
No.

Houston is the only southern city/metro which ranks in the top 10 as far as millionaires go (and it's dead last), and ironically, Houston is losing millionaires at the fastest pace (21.1%). There are more/higher percentage millionaires in Detroit than Atlanta or Houston.

I thought the south was supposed to be the new emerging wealth creating region?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SV View Post
No.

Houston is the only southern city/metro which ranks in the top 10 as far as millionaires go (and it's dead last), and ironically, Houston is losing millionaires at the fastest pace (21.1%). There are more/higher percentage millionaires in Detroit than Atlanta or Houston.

I thought the south was supposed to be the new emerging wealth creating region?
No.

Read what he claimed again. His claim was that Atlanta had the fastest growing population of millionaires.

Claritis made this claim in 2006, it is not unbridled boosterism.
Atlanta is home to fastest growing millionaire population

4SV - So sorry, I just realized he said the South has the fastest growing number of millionaires. I stand corrected.

Living here he probably remembered the Atlanta mention, and I'm guessing he confused it with the South in general.

Last edited by johnatl; 04-06-2010 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Clarification and apology

Old 04-06-2010, 03:04 PM

One reason I don't care for the southern metro areas is the sprawly layout. A car is mandatory. In the Northeast, our cities were developed LONG before automobiles existed, so there is great infrastructure for public transportation which, in my opinion, is much better and efficient. As cities like Charlotte and Atlanta continue to grow, I hope the infrastructure does as well, or you guys are going to have a mess. Public transportation is so much better for the environment.

FYI, New Jersey is one of the greenest states in the US. I think it's ranked 6th or 7th highest, based on such things as public transportation, recycling, dumping laws, enforcement of LEED building, etc. Honestly the reputation of NJ as a garbage dump state is very outdated, from the 70's, when admittedly NJ was pretty dirty. Now, NJ's coastal waters are considered among the cleanest as well (yep, it's true).

Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,415 times
North Carolina by FAR but I am a southern girl, so I'm a bit biased

Old 04-06-2010, 06:09 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Wow .Very good question.Close one for me but I would go with NC.Because I prefer the attitudes down south most of the time.DC is not far.Cleaner air.The Mountains,the beaches are better.People are less worried about what you have or who you know.Although the NJ has more diversity.New Jersey surprisongly has some very rustic and beautiful locations.However for me my culture is rooted deeply in the being that I am African American.I lived in Jersey before and although it was pleasant enough,it just was not for me.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Now, NJ's coastal waters are considered among the cleanest as well (yep, it's true).
VERY true, infact we have the strictest standards of cleanliness for which beaches can operate. What would close a NJ beach would not close a beach in California, Florida, or North Carolina. I take pride in that statement, because it shows how clean our beaches are (being that if they do close, it's a big deal)

Also, to the idiot dentist from P.A. who decided to use the back bays as a dumping ground for needles, I hope <rant against people from P.A. removed before moderators did>

Also, South Jersey may be relatively flat, but it gives this feeling of openness. I've also noticed that in areas without mountains, trees look SOOOOO much taller. Mind you of course your preference for one or the other is entirely based on personal preference, driving up the mountain to where my friend in Sussex County lived I thought I was in another state. Very scenic, and VERY hilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City