Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
San Francisco and Seattle are nothing compared to other cities..,

Albuquerque:
As you can see by the following elevation numbers the downtown area is really lower in elevation than anywhere in the city, its located in the Rio Grande River Valley.

Downtown Elevation 4,953
South Valley Elevation 5,288
East Side Area 5,911
My House West Side(VR) 5,550

Albuquerque has Real Hilly Areas, plus were pretty high up in elevation for a city its size.
Albuquerque may be located at a higher elevation, but the city itself is rather flat when compared to Seattle or San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Cincinnati is also quite hilly.

Indianapolis is so flat that city's highest elevations are highway over passes.
The highest point in Indianapolis is actually a hill at the Crown Hill Cemetary.

But I do get the gist of your post, and won't disparage it. Indy is very flat, and there are some tall overpasses ; I just want to rep our hill.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Hilliest:

San Fran
Seattle
Duluth, MN had some incredibly steep hills
Pittsburgh
Gatlinburg, TN

Flattest:

Chicago
Miami
Phoenix
Kansas City
Columbus

Old 09-08-2008, 09:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
It's funny (ironic) to see Columbus on your list, Steve-O. When a co-worker of mine from Champaign visited Columbus, she came back raving about how hilly it was! That's how flat Champaign is. Add it to the list!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:22 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Memphis is NOT flat. The city has quite a bit of rolling terrain. Very charming city.

And Indianapolis is not that flat. The central part of the city perhaps, but there are some decent sized hills across the northern side of town, and also on the far southside.

In fact, the highest elevation in Indy is about 900 feet on the far northwest side, and the lowest elevation is about 650 feet on the far south side-- a difference of about 250 feet. Not super rugged, but not pancake flat as many would like you to believe.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's funny (ironic) to see Columbus on your list, Steve-O. When a co-worker of mine from Champaign visited Columbus, she came back raving about how hilly it was! That's how flat Champaign is. Add it to the list!
Hilly? I didnt see anything out of the ordinary.

But yes, Champaign lies squarely in the middle of glaciated land, so naturally anything would look hilly.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hilly? I didnt see anything out of the ordinary.

But yes, Champaign lies squarely in the middle of glaciated land, so naturally anything would look hilly.
Yes, there's a saying, "if it doesn't look flat any more, you've been there too long"! I once read that Douglas Co., Ill, just to the south of Champ. Co, is the flattest in Illinois.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, there's a saying, "if it doesn't look flat any more, you've been there too long"! I once read that Douglas Co., Ill, just to the south of Champ. Co, is the flattest in Illinois.
Well, where I live there are some decent rolling hills, keeps things interesting. I dont really care if the area is flat or hilly, as long as the quality of life is good and there are abundant things to do, which Chicagoland has in heaps.

I do enjoy driving out through the Campton Hills area, and down near Elburn for some quick-fix scenery. Its not the Rockies, but I still enjoy it, especially driving to the top of Johnsons Mound, etc.

Central IL is incredibly flat for the most part. I DREAD driving down 55 or 57, especially during the daytime.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Norfolk/Va Beach is very flat. The highest elevation (and only real change in elevation) in Va Beach is a capped landfill dubbed (appropriately), Mount Trashmore.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
I think the Lubbock metro area is one of the flattest in the country, from what I read somewhere the Texas panhandle and parts of eastern NM are the flattest, I dont know how true this is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City