Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

I like all the ancient TV series being brought up here like Dallas and Dragnet, as if the skylines are even the same as they were back then.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
Ok if the Hollywood sign don't count then the Capitol Records building or "Dragnet" building will be the skylines that identify LA. LA sprawling landscape will be the one that identifies LA. Why is LA has always been more identifiable than Seattle even if with less remarkable landmarks? Because LA is in movies. TV movies, the Terminator series you name them. Seattle is barely in movies/TV and when that happens, foreigners simply won't care if Seattle has beautiful skylines or it's a birthplace of Starbucks.
LOL Capital Records building is in Hollywood. It's not part of the Skyline.

FWIW, New Year's Eve has become a pretty big celebration at the Needle. And the Networks here, show all the icons around the world every year at New Years. The Eiffel Tower, NYC, Sydney, The Space Needle and on and on. And Sleepless in Seattle didn't hurt either.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 PM

293 posts, read 900,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
LOLOLOL Dragnet was like 40 years ago.

Do you see either of those building in this Skyline?

That's my point. Both the buildings he specified don't effect the skyline in any way, shape or form. That's like bringing up the Seattle Central Library in a skyline competition. Sure it's a nice building but it's irrelevant in the comparison and it doesn't help your case because it doesn't effect the skyline in any way.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I like all the ancient TV series being brought up here like Dallas and Dragnet, as if the skylines are even the same as they were back then.
I would suggest that about half of the people who saw the last Dragnet show when it aired are no longer alive. That was 40 years ago.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:37 AM

156 posts, read 378,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
Just because a city (like LA) is in a lot of movies doesn't mean that in that movie you get clear shots of the skyline like this.

You often just get quick glances or a street view. And don't even mention the Capitol Records building or the Dragnet building. Those are not buildings that effect the skyline in any way, and are more part of the LA's land marks then skyline additions. Again, LA easily, easily win if we're listing which of the two cities as a whole is more identifiable, but this is a very specific, strict comparison of the skylines.

As I said before, stick the two pictures above in front of a foreigner's face and I doubt they'll be able to identify LA easier then Seattle.
Actually even if those LA buildings are considerably nameless and unremarkable, as a whole they'd identify the city more than Seattle to foreigners because the same scenery is used in many movies set in LA. A city is more likely identify the skyline, not the other way around. The sprawl with a few unknown buildings jutting out in LA is very identifiable to foreigners because they know about LA and any LA sprawl skyline complements to memorize LA on their brains.

Obviously the keyword is "foreigner", and you know how little exposure foreigner got from Seattle. Who knows about Seattle except those who are really into America or Microsoft? They drink the coffee, but sure hell don't care about the city. If they don't think a lot about Seattle, then they have never really noticed about the Space Needle or Mt Rainier.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:02 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
I guess a city that is unrecognizable is a fast pace growing,an ever-changing skyline,the only recognizable thing would be landmarks.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
1. New York
2. Seattle
3. St Louis
4. Las Vegas
5. San Fran
I believe these are the only cities with a skyline that could not be mistaken for another city.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 PM

293 posts, read 900,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
Actually even if those LA buildings are considerably nameless and unremarkable, as a whole they'd identify the city more than Seattle to foreigners because the same scenery is used in many movies set in LA. A city is more likely identify the skyline, not the other way around. The sprawl with a few unknown buildings jutting out in LA is very identifiable to foreigners because they know about LA and any LA sprawl skyline complements to memorize LA on their brains.

Obviously the keyword is "foreigner", and you know how little exposure foreigner got from Seattle. Who knows about Seattle except those who are really into America or Microsoft? They drink the coffee, but sure hell don't care about the city. If they don't think a lot about Seattle, then they have never really noticed about the Space Needle or Mt Rainier.
Once again, In all those movies set in LA you don't get a view like this or similar.

I feel like i'm repeating myself and I also feel that you don't understand what this comparison is about. This is NOT about specific scenery or buildings. It's about everything you can easily see in that picture above. In movies you get to see Hollywood, LA street view, Quick glances, ETC. You don't stare at a picture like the one above for five minutes in movies set in LA.

It really seems like your still trying to compare which city is more identifiable. This is about one thing. And that's which of the two pictures i'v shown is more identifiable to foreigners. Instantly once a foreigner sees the Space Needle they will think Seattle. LA doesn't have anything like that that makes foreigners instantly think LA. I honestly don't think the movies and media help foreigners know the skyline because once again, you don't get to see the full skyline in the movies. You get generic street view.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 AM

156 posts, read 378,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
Once again, In all those movies set in LA you don't get a view like this or similar.

I feel like i'm repeating myself and I also feel that you don't understand what this comparison is about. This is NOT about specific scenery or buildings. It's about everything you can easily see in that picture above. In movies you get to see Hollywood, LA street view, Quick glances, ETC. You don't stare at a picture like the one above for five minutes in movies set in LA.

It really seems like your still trying to compare which city is more identifiable. This is about one thing. And that's which of the two pictures i'v shown is more identifiable to foreigners. Instantly once a foreigner sees the Space Needle they will think Seattle. LA doesn't have anything like that that makes foreigners instantly think LA. I honestly don't think the movies and media help foreigners know the skyline because once again, you don't get to see the full skyline in the movies. You get generic street view.
Gee most of the blockbuster movies have spanning view of the city. For recent ones in LA, check on the Terminator series and Hancock. I say it again & again, there's almost zero interest foreigners on Seattle. Asians & Australians specifically have very big interest on LA, they look for it in travel books, and essentially know the general skyline of it - smog & sprawl of it all. Hence I say even if LA has no recognizable buildings/landmarks in their skyline like in Seattle, foreigners would more likely say "Is that LA?" instead of "Where is that, so beautiful?" (for Seattle) because yes, people on the other side of the ocean don't know what's the Space Needle and so on.

Now the question of this thread asks which city skyline is more recognizable, bland but more famous through cinema LA or unique yet less-cared-about Seattle - without any precondition if those foreigners asked know each city beforehand. Please read the question again and without over think about it, you know what the answer is.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Purely skyline?

1 DC (Wash monument and Capital sorry NY)
2 NYC
3 Chicago (Hancock Building alone)
4 San Fran
5 Seattle
after there is less clarity but if you allow other structures

Hollywood sign LA
Arch St Louis
etc then can make a case but honestly I think purely by skyline only a few are immeadiately recognized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City