Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I know people who couldn't distinguish Houston from LA. Or Seattle and Detroit.
SERIOUSLY? I mean, talk about not getting out much...

Maybe it is just me, but I dont think ya have to be city-savy to see an episode of Animal Cops: Houston then see a skyline that's being shown, making a connection, ya know?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

Maybe it is just me, but I dont think ya have to be city-savy to see an episode of Animal Cops: Houston then see a skyline that's being shown, making a connection, ya know?
I know its hard to grasp. But people like us know skylines in other countries, and normal people can't name the skylines in there state.

When they see it, they see concrete and glass, not the BOA, Wells Fargo, and Chase towers.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:49 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:

what is funny is the SPCA is not near downtown, they never ever go pick up animals downtown (its sometimes in places as far off as La Grange) and yet they show the Downtown Skyline in EVERY episode.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:52 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,085 times
Quote:
I know its hard to grasp. But people like us know skylines in other countries, and normal people can't name the skylines in there state.

When they see it, they see concrete and glass, not the BOA, Wells Fargo, and Chase towers.
Pretty much. And that reminds me-
There's an aviation forum I check out from time to time & it's just like that over there. They can't grasp the idea that to the general public, a plane is a plane is an aluminum tube people get on to go from point A to point B. Instead they're appalled and shocked when a person can't tell a difference between a 737-200 and a 737-300.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:53 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Quote:

This isn't the real world.

This is city-data.com

aka city nerd forums

Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what is funny is the SPCA is not near downtown, they never ever go pick up animals downtown (its sometimes in places as far off as La Grange) and yet they show the Downtown Skyline in EVERY episode.
Yeah, that's kind of my point. Sometimes when I watch, they're on some ranch in Sealy or Huntsville, both at least 50 miles from the city, yet they still show the skyline.

Why?

Because you'll know it's HOUSTON, the city for which the show is titled.

And even with that, some people still can't recognize the skyline when they see it somewhere else? That's like learning your ABC's in pre-K, but not knowing how to draw them on paper in the 5th grade to me....

Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's kind of my point. Sometimes when I watch, they're on some ranch in Sealy or Huntsville, both at least 50 miles from the city, yet they still show the skyline.

Why?

Because you'll know it's HOUSTON, the city for which the show is titled.

And even with that, some people still can't recognize the skyline when they see it somewhere else? That's like learning your ABC's in pre-K, but not knowing how to draw them on paper in the 5th grade to me....
Isn't Sealy north of Beaumont?

I think of it as showing a woman what an cam shaft does, then asking her what a cam shaft does a year later.
People who don't care about cities/architecture, don't remember that. Can you name all the pieces of "chic" furniture that one time you went in that store with your wife/girlfriend?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 AM

345 posts, read 833,066 times
Other than Atlanta, excluding Dallas and Houston, there are no extremely prominent cities in the area. Not many other people would want to have interest in just medium sized cities.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Other than Atlanta, excluding Dallas and Houston, there are no extremely prominent cities in the area. Not many other people would want to have interest in just medium sized cities.
What about Miami, New Orleans, Orlando, Charlotte, and Memphis? All of which are very prominent in the south.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 AM

801 posts, read 1,512,891 times
Quote:
What about Miami, New Orleans, Orlando, Charlotte, and Memphis? All of which are very prominent in the south.
Orlando and Memphis aren't really prominent in the South. Orlando maybe because of the tourists but they really don't have a skyline. Going down I-4 will show you it but it's nothing to remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City