Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times

Advertisements

Exactly! Atlanta is the Capital of the South, if you exclude Texas and Florida.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 AM

725 posts, read 1,511,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Exactly! Atlanta is the Capital of the South, if you exclude Texas and Florida.
Atlanta is the capital of the south regardless... is Texas and Florida not in the south?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Atlanta is the capital of the south regardless... is Texas and Florida not in the south?
Don't want to start this up again, but no city in Texas or Florida look up to Atlanta. And Houston and Dallas' sphere of influence reach well into Arkansas, Louisiana, and parts of Mississippi. Why would you consider Texas and Florida as part of the South, and Atlanta as their capital? Especially when two out of the three are larger than Atlanta? Unless you meant Atlanta is culturally the Capital of the South. I can agree with that.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Atlanta is the hub of the Southeast

Dallas and Houston serve as hubs of the Western South and South Central regions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713
Don't want to start this up again, but no city in Texas or Florida look up to Atlanta. And Houston and Dallas' sphere of influence reach well into Arkansas, Louisiana, and parts of Mississippi. Why would you consider Texas and Florida as part of the South, and Atlanta as their capital? Especially when two out of the three are larger than Atlanta? Unless you meant Atlanta is culturally the Capital of the South. I can agree with that.
While I'll agree that Texas doesn't look to Atlanta, but whether Florida is influenced by Atlanta is up to debate, but I'd say that the Panhandle and NE Florida would have more ties to Atlanta than the rest of the state would. There is a reason why Jacksonville feels more "connected" to Atlanta and Charlotte than it does to Miami. A lot of people do not realize the connections between Georgia and Florida run a lot deeper than many think.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:18 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Yeah North Florida has SOME connections to ATL, but MOST of Florida's population lives South of Daytona, and that's where a VAST majority of Florida's culture comes from. In that regard, most of Florida's culture isn't really influenced by anything OUTSIDE of Florida. And to reiterate what Scarface said, if we're speaking in terms of geography only, than yes ATL is the capital of the South INCLUDING Florida and Texas. BUT if we're talking about Sphere of Influence, than ATL is the capital of the South EXCLUDING Florida(from Daytona on South), and ALL of Texas, because these 2 states are pretty large, and are more influenced by the countries they're adjacent to, and have VERY distinct cultures than that of the rest of the South, and then add all this to the fact that they have there own HUGE metropolises that control the Sphere Of Influence within there own states, rather than an outside force controlling it. For instance, Miami and San Antonio have almost no connections to Atlanta, the same way Tallahassee, and Beaumont MIGHT(and probably don't). And to add, it SEEMS Jacksonville has a larger influence over Savannah and Southeast GA, than ATL has over North Florida. A VAST majority of North Floridians, believe it or not, look SOUTH towards, Orlando, Tampa, Miami for Sphere Of Influence, rather than ATL. A big reason for this is a VAST majority of college students at schools like FSU, UF, FAMU, Bethune Cookman, etc, are originally from South Florida, and or Tampa, and Orlando.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah North Florida has SOME connections to ATL, but MOST of Florida's population lives South of Daytona, and that's where a VAST majority of Florida's culture comes from. In that regard, most of Florida's culture isn't really influenced by anything OUTSIDE of Florida. And to reiterate what Scarface said, if we're speaking in terms of geography only, than yes ATL is the capital of the South INCLUDING Florida and Texas. BUT if we're talking about Sphere of Influence, than ATL is the capital of the South EXCLUDING Florida(from Daytona on South), and ALL of Texas, because these 2 states are pretty large, and are more influenced by the countries they're adjacent to, and have VERY distinct cultures than that of the rest of the South, and then add all this to the fact that they have there own HUGE metropolises that control the Sphere Of Influence within there own states, rather than an outside force controlling it. For instance, Miami and San Antonio have almost no connections to Atlanta, the same way Tallahassee, and Beaumont MIGHT(and probably don't). And to add, it SEEMS Jacksonville has a larger influence over Savannah and Southeast GA, than ATL has over North Florida. A VAST majority of North Floridians, believe it or not, look SOUTH towards, Orlando, Tampa, Miami for Sphere Of Influence, rather than ATL. A big reason for this is a VAST majority of college students at schools like FSU, UF, FAMU, Bethune Cookman, etc, are originally from South Florida, and or Tampa, and Orlando.
No arguements from me here. I think you articulated what I was trying to say better. That's why I said "up to debate" since Florida pretty much does it's own thing. I also agree that Jax has more in common with South Georgia than it would with Atlanta, but I still believe the connections between N FLA and Atlanta are stronger than many think, but they're not the strongest connections, if that makes any sense.

What about connections between Tallahassee and Atlanta?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
No arguements from me here. I think you articulated what I was trying to say better. That's why I said "up to debate" since Florida pretty much does it's own thing. I also agree that Jax has more in common with South Georgia than it would with Atlanta, but I still believe the connections between N FLA and Atlanta are stronger than many think, but they're not the strongest connections, if that makes any sense.

What about connections between Tallahassee and Atlanta?
Talley and ATL? Yeah, they're somewhat strong, but again, Tallahassee is a college town, and most of those College students are from points South like Orlando, Miami, and Tampa. So Tallahassee is gonna be influenced by South Florida also, rather than ATL. Samething with Gainesville. A good portion of North Florida activities look South for there sphere of influence. It all goes back to the biggest cities in your state having the overall final say.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 AM

Here is a Sphere Of Influence map: CommonCensus Map Project - Maps

Old 08-12-2010, 04:26 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Talley and ATL? Yeah, they're somewhat strong, but again, Tallahassee is a college town, and most of those College students are from points South like Orlando, Miami, and Tampa. So Tallahassee is gonna be influenced by South Florida also, rather than ATL. Samething with Gainesville. A good portion of North Florida activities look South for there sphere of influence. It all goes back to the biggest cities in your state having the overall final say.
I'm a 5th generation Floridian, my family has been in the Tallahassee area since the 1880s. I can guarantee you that they have a lot more in common with Atlanta than they do with South Florida. In fact, I'd venture to bet that a whole bunch of Florida Panhandle residents (especially the old-timers) would just as soon see South Florida split off from the rest of Florida and become its own state.

You'll see a lot more Atlanta Braves fans in the Florida Panhandle than Florida Marlins fans or even Rays fans.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-12-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm a 5th generation Floridian, my family has been in the Tallahassee area since the 1880s. I can guarantee you that they have a lot more in common with Atlanta than they do with South Florida. In fact, I'd venture to bet that a whole bunch of Florida Panhandle residents (especially the old-timers) would just as soon see South Florida split off from the rest of Florida and become its own state.

You'll see a lot more Atlanta Braves fans in the Florida Panhandle than Florida Marlins fans or even Rays fans.
Maybe back in the day, before Florida had a population boom, and before professional sports teams started making there way into the state, but NOW DAYS, ever since Florida's population boom, and the growth of the colleges up there, and the creation of more Florida Pro teams, it seems like North Florida is more influenced by the rest of the state South of it. I'd venture to say that North Florida influences South Georgia NOW, more than vice versa. There are no major cities in South Georgia(with the exception of Savannah), where as North Florida has Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and Pensacola. I posted a Sphere Of Influence map, and on that map it shows that the North Florida cities have influence over South Georgia. Especially the number of Southern Georgians who venture down to the Florida panhandle for beaches, and for education at there colleges.

Last edited by polo89; 08-12-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City