Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Unfortunately, I agree with the third as well and that's Texas fault if people and Hollywood portrays Texas as this type of state.
True, and I never understood why some Texans even perpetuate these (often false) stereotypes themselves. For example, I've seen Texas related signs, most notably a bumper sticker for a car dealership out of San Antonio, that shows a picture of a saguaro cactus, when those things don't even grow in the entire state of Texas.

I'm not sure if this whole phony Wild Wild West motif is just for the sake of the tourists, but it gets to be beyond annoying.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think what people mean by Atlanta being centered is, not only historically, but the fact that it sits at the point where the Deep South, Upper South, and Old South are joined. It was and is the most significant city for each of these subregions.
Did you read the post I quoted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Um, no. The "center" of the South would be somewhere around Birmingham
Wherever the center is it is not ATLANTA.

and I did mention Alabama.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Did you read the post I quoted?

Wherever the center is it is not ATLANTA.

and I did mention Alabama.
It's no so much about the technical center of the south. Historically and geographically, Atlanta is the center.

The Deep South goes to east to west, the Upper South which straddles Appalachia and rides above the DS, but you also have the Old/Colonial South wish goes north from Georgia. Atlanta is where all of the regions meet.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
It's no so much about the technical center of the south. Historically and geographically, Atlanta is the center.

I am not going into that. All I am saying is that THIS poster made an erroneous comment about ATL's location, and I corrected.

I am not going into who historically thought what was where.

That has probably been debated 300 times in this thread alone. Useless going down that road

what I am correcting is an assertion that was made as fact. and the assertion that ATL is physically located in the central part of the south is WRONG.

It may be kinda central to the SE but not to the south

It is 100% clear the guy is talking about location. The word located should have given it away:
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post

For size and economic importance, the South has four major cities: Houston, Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta. Two (Houston and Dallas) are located on the western fringe of the South, one (Miami) is located at the extreme southeast of the South. Atlanta has a more central location. Miami's claim to be a capital is also undercut by the huge cultural differnces: it has a much more latin feel than the majority of the south. Aside from its location,...

Sheesh. read the parts posts that people are quoting before implying they are wrong about the intention behind what they are referring to.
You are the one who doesn't know the flow of the discussion, so stop correcting me like I am wrong

Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How would the center be somewhere in Louisiana? The center to me is more like Birmingham/Nashville. Absolutely nothing in Louisiana.
from Texas to the Atlantic is 1500 miles.

The mid point is near Monroe Louisiana.

THAT IS HOW THE CENTER ENDS UP SOMEWHERE IN LOUISIANA
I will give you a ruler. go measure it

Atlanta is 1300 miles from the western edge of the south and less than 200 miles from the eastern edge. does that sound central to you???

Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 PM

As usual, your method of thinking is far too practical, Htown. Either way you play it, Atlanta is centered in the south. Far more than Houston and Dallas, definitely.

The south does not just go east-to-west; it also goes north/south along the eastern seaboard.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
As usual, your method of thinking is far too practical, Htown. Either way you play it, Atlanta is centered in the south. Far more than Houston and Dallas, definitely.

The south does not just go east-to-west; it also goes north/south along the eastern seaboard.
it goes north to south everywhere. Not just along the eastern seaboard.

Fact remains: The geographical center is just a bit north of Monroe Louisiana.
I will give you a ruler too, so you can help Annie measure it.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
True, and I never understood why some Texans even perpetuate these (often false) stereotypes themselves. For example, I've seen Texas related signs, most notably a bumper sticker for a car dealership out of San Antonio, that shows a picture of a saguaro cactus, when those things don't even grow in the entire state of Texas.

I'm not sure if this whole phony Wild Wild West motif is just for the sake of the tourists, but it gets to be beyond annoying.
It's crazy isn't it? But at the same time, there still IS a part of the state that stands true to these stereotypes. The thing people don't understand is that those parts of the state make up a smaller part instead of the majority. And also, it doesn't help that many establishments, businesses, hospitals, etc, advertise themselves, or have been crowned as the "1st so-and-so in the Southwest", or the "Largest so-and-so in the Southwest".

Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:

The Deep South goes to east to west, the Upper South which straddles Appalachia and rides above the DS, but you also have the Old/Colonial South wish goes north from Georgia. Atlanta is where all of the regions meet.
Historically its New Orleans, no question. New Orleans has three times as much history as Atlanta, but Atlanta is more recent so that's how we take it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
from Texas to the Atlantic is 1500 miles.

The mid point is near Monroe Louisiana.

THAT IS HOW THE CENTER ENDS UP SOMEWHERE IN LOUISIANA
I will give you a ruler. go measure it

Atlanta is 1300 miles from the western edge of the south and less than 200 miles from the eastern edge. does that sound central to you???
From Dallas to Jacksonville, NC is roughly 1200mi, center is pretty much Birmingham.
Dallas to Savannah is 1000mi, halfway is Meridian, MS.

What on Earth are you considering the south?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Historically its New Orleans, no question. New Orleans has three times as much history as Atlanta, but Atlanta is more recent so that's how we take it.

From Dallas to Jacksonville, NC is roughly 1200mi, center is pretty much Birmingham.
Dallas to Savannah is 1000mi, halfway is Meridian, MS.

What on Earth are you considering the south?
The States the Census consider the south. What else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City