Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mid-Sized Southwest City is better?
Albuquerque 313 51.14%
Tucson 299 48.86%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 AM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Thats actually great Tucson has more malls than us, but we have Americas 2nd largest outdoor mall coming soon,..Winrock Town Center!

Albuquerque now has better shopping than Tucson thanks to ABQ Uptown and other New stores opening on the West Side.

There is no way Tucson's shopping can be better than Albuquerque's..thats a pretty BIG JOKE.

Albuquerque is way more fun.. if your going to make fun of the city at least visit us and explore the WHOLE CITY! Ahhhh Arizona is so MAJOR...UNM likes to beat them every so often.. or every year my bad..Arizona is not major.. ASU gets way more Attention! Were home to the the ballon fiesta and what.. it brings in more tourist to our city than any event in tucson thats for sure.. mmmmm do i have to go on.. i mean look who is winning in the poll dude.

I mean.. honestly also look at Tucson's downtown.. and Compare it to Albuquerque's.. haha oh wait there is nothing to compare..our skyline is actually a skyline with highrises..with more development and progress.
Tucson may not have a great skyline, but Albuquerque's is nothing spectacular as well. As far as shopping is concerned, when both cities have their (proposed or under construction) shopping centers built, they'll probably be equal, but both cities will still not be ultimate shopping destinations. As far as Winrock is concerned, it will be 83 acres - Passages of Tucson (the same type of development) will be around 400 acres when completely built out.

Tourism numbers are almost the same for both cities (about 3 million for Albuquerque and 3.5 for Tucson). Albuquerque does play host to the massive International Balloon Festival, but it lags slightly behind Tucson as a destination city, and doesn't have the types of luxury resorts to accommodate its visitors like Tucson.

As far as fun, you would also need to explore all of Tucson as well before making a judgement about it.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to state about Arizona (the University??).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:07 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Steve-O, you're sounding grumpy. Did you switch to de-caf?
Or is the arrival of our cold and gray weather bringing on the onset of a stealth case of SARS? All in good fun.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Tucson may not have a great skyline, but Albuquerque's is nothing spectacular as well. As far as shopping is concerned, when both cities have their (proposed or under construction) shopping centers built, they'll probably be equal, but both cities will still not be ultimate shopping destinations. As far as Winrock is concerned, it will be 83 acres - Passages of Tucson (the same type of development) will be around 400 acres when completely built out.

Tourism numbers are almost the same for both cities (about 3 million for Albuquerque and 3.5 for Tucson). Albuquerque does play host to the massive International Balloon Festival, but it lags slightly behind Tucson as a destination city, and doesn't have the types of luxury resorts to accommodate its visitors like Tucson.

As far as fun, you would also need to explore all of Tucson as well before making a judgement about it.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to state about Arizona (the University??).

First off i noticed 83 acres, thats wrong on the winrock center they own 532 acres in that area alone.. i work in the planning office, each building will be over 2 stories as well...so do more research as far as thats concerned , our skyline is not all that great but take a look and compare..our downtown also has more commuters threw it on a daily basis, ours is more alive, lets just put it that way.. we have done plenty of research on both cities.. those numbers for tourism are way off, check your sources for that too.

I have "explored" tucson i had to practiclly stay there for a year..

Old 11-17-2008, 12:23 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Those are nice pics and all, but only show the ultra-glamourous side of Tucson. Most of the city is about as desireable as a football player's jock strap after a game. Albuquerque has everything Tucson has, but with a better climate and just as nice scenery (if not better), and the bonus is that its nearby Santa Fe and not too terribly far from Taos. Sorry, but ABQ beats Tucson here by a long shot in almost every category.
So, what you're really trying to say is that you don't go sniffing around the dirty laundry bins in football locker rooms?

Now, you only mentioned jock straps, is the cup itself more desirable for you? jk, man.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:26 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,957,701 times
Albuquerque......better climate, better scenery and closer to my family.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:48 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
First off i noticed 83 acres, thats wrong on the winrock center they own 532 acres in that area alone.. i work in the planning office, each building will be over 2 stories as well...so do more research as far as thats concerned , our skyline is not all that great but take a look and compare..our downtown also has more commuters threw it on a daily basis, ours is more alive, lets just put it that way.. we have done plenty of research on both cities.. those numbers for tourism are way off, check your sources for that too.

I have "explored" tucson i had to practiclly stay there for a year..
When researching Winrock, I found a few sites that boasted it would be between 83-90 acres, so I am guessing that even though "they" own 532 acres in that area, it is probably zoned for between 83-90 acres (???). I've done my research on tourism as well.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
When researching Winrock, I found a few sites that boasted it would be between 83-90 acres, so I am guessing that even though "they" own 532 acres in that area, it is probably zoned for between 83-90 acres (???). I've done my research on tourism as well.
Wow i dont have no clue where you got your facts from dude, anyway we have the offical blueprints and this sunna of a gun has some pretty crazy stores.. i freaked out and pretty huge too, over 1,000 spaces of residential included each building will be 2-5 stories..we have two other malls in planning "the greater southwest mall" which is still in planning would be the largest mall in the southwest with 3 levels and 370+ stores, however i thought the tucson mall was decent in tucson..it reminds me of the cottonwood mall, since they are both operated by simon.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:16 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
How do both Albuquerque and Tucson compare to El Paso in you guys's opinions?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
How do both Albuquerque and Tucson compare to El Paso in you guys's opinions?
Albuquerque and Tucson KILL El Paso hahah,
well...

Albuquerque and Tucson have nicer people, better views..skylines, mountains.., and well there both growing way faster than El Paso.

annnndddd El Paso has nothin on them..

Old 11-17-2008, 09:11 PM

559 posts, read 1,463,904 times
Quote:
Albuquerque is way more fun.. if your going to make fun of the city at least visit us and explore the WHOLE CITY! Ahhhh Arizona is so MAJOR...UNM likes to beat them every so often.. or every year my bad..Arizona is not major.. ASU gets way more Attention! Were home to the the ballon fiesta and what.. it brings in more tourist to our city than any event in tucson thats for sure.. mmmmm do i have to go on.. i mean look who is winning in the poll dude.

I mean.. honestly also look at Tucson's downtown.. and Compare it to Albuquerque's.. haha oh wait there is nothing to compare..our skyline is actually a skyline with highrises..with more development and progress.
Wait your saying University of Arizona is not a major University...then you bring up University of New Mexico...University or Arizona is constantly ranked in top spots and is considered a public ivy, University of Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia look under notable rankings, then look at University of New Mexico,University of New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and they don't even have notable rankings, they barely have a page.

Albuquerque has a balloon show, Tucson has many more tourist attractions then that, like Pima Air and Space Museum, Titan Missile Museum, kartchner caverns, and a lot more.

But I do agree about El Paso...is that even considered a city?

Last edited by snowthedirtbub; 11-17-2008 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City