Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of the South
Coral Gables, Florida 51 10.52%
Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) 148 30.52%
Highland Village (Dallas, Texas) 58 11.96%
SouthPark (Charlotte, North Carolina) 12 2.47%
South Beach (Miami, Florida) 77 15.88%
Uptown Houston (Houston, Texas) 43 8.87%
Palm Beach, Florida 134 27.63%
Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 33 6.80%
Doctor Phillips (Orlando, Florida) 11 2.27%
Galleria area (Dallas, Texas) 20 4.12%
French Quarters (New Orleans, Louisiana) 14 2.89%
Other 32 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,308,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Actually buckhead is a upscale district full single family mansions and large houses with a financial district with high-rises. But I agree with you about what your saying over the geographic settings of these places to Beverly Hills. And buckhead is not a suburb so Palm Beach would be closer to Beverly Hills.

How are you going to say “Why can't Buckhead be its own animal” than say "Buckhead = Tysons Corner of the South. It really is”? ) And trust me Atlantans don’t like the phrase “NY of the South” because of the reason which you stated.

Anyways I think your failing to understand how big Buckhead is, Part of buckhead most of it! would be like Beverly Hills then and part of would be like Tysons Corner. Other than Tysons Corner being just a CBD while most of buckhead is full of single upscale homes. Buckhead is not an edge city, then Atlanta actually does have edge cities. Awhile back there was a skyline battle between Seattle with Bellevue vs. Atlanta with buckhead. Bellevue is not part of Seattle buckhead is part of Atlanta.

Seattle’s Bellevue and DC’s Tysons Corner are like Atlanta’s Cumberland and Perimeter center not buckhead. This is part of the Perimeter center skyline, in Sandy Springs.
I lived in Atlanta for 7 years until this year. I'm very aware. and just because Buckhead is in the city limits doesnt mean its not an edge city. City limits are just an invisible line. Tysons is probably the same distance from the District if not closer. It also has high end residential and such with a very similar mall concept you see in Buckhead. Perimeter Center and Cumberland are like Crystal City and the other DC edge cities like Rosslyn/Vienna. Theres a lot more in common between Atlanta and DC than Atlanta and anywhere else especially the LA area.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,189,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Why can't Buckhead be its own animal? I dont understand why Atlanta is the "NY of the South", the "Beverly Hills of the south" etc. Be unique, be Atlanta! Buckhead is Buckhead which has its own gig going on. I personally don't see any similarity between Buckhead and Beverly Hills they are two totally different areas. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said Buckhead = Tysons Corner of the South. It really is. They have a lot more in common and thats not a bad thing.
Exactly, I don't see how Buckhead is ANYTHING like Beverly Hills.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 PM

72 posts, read 151,765 times
It is sad to sit here and listen to people go on and on about a place and /or places that they have never even been. Yes, PB looks more like BH, but again I say, in terms of wealth distribution, real-estate layout, celebrity factor, upscale shopping, and 5 star restaurants and hotels, BH and Buckhead are most similar, end of story. Palm beach is very nice, I will give you that; however, Buckhead, like BH, has a mixutre of old an new money, old and young residents alike, and has an unparalleled nightlife and entertainment factor. Palm beach is mostly old money, and the wealthy people there have a tight circle that is almost impossible to break into, and they look down on people that don't live, think and act as they do. As a young 25 yr old professional, that does not sound appeasing to me. I live in Buckhead and love it. I recently bought a condo that was expensive, but the amenities of the building, as well as the neighborhood makes up for that ten fold. So Buckhead and BH affords young professionals the opportunity to live, work, and play in those communities, while PB is just an old money, old folks, social club.(Yes I have been to both BH and PB)

Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,189,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboi View Post
It is sad to sit here and listen to people go on and on about a place and /or places that they have never even been. Yes, PB looks more like BH, but again I say, in terms of wealth distribution, real-estate layout, celebrity factor, upscale shopping, and 5 star restaurants and hotels, BH and Buckhead are most similar, end of story. Palm beach is very nice, I will give you that; however, Buckhead, like BH, has a mixutre of old an new money, old and young residents alike, and has an unparalleled nightlife and entertainment factor. Palm beach is mostly old money, and the wealthy people there have a tight circle that is almost impossible to break into, and they look down on people that don't live, think and act as they do. As a young 25 yr old professional, that does not sound appeasing to me. I live in Buckhead and love it. I recently bought a condo that was expensive, but the amenities of the building, as well as the neighborhood makes up for that ten fold. So Buckhead and BH affords young professionals the opportunity to live, work, and play in those communities, while PB is just an old money, old folks, social club.(Yes I have been to both BH and PB)
You don't get it, PALM BEACH AND BEVERLY HILLS ARE NOTHINGGG LIKE BUCKHEAD. Buckhead needs to be compared to other city's midtown type neighborhoods, not a TOWN like Palm Beach or a TOWN like Beverly Hills. As far as the celebrities go, didn't you see the list of Palm Beach celebrites? I didn't even know Buckhead existed before this forum, name some celebrities that live in Buckhead. Palm Beach and Beverly Hills have a diverse group of celebrities but I bet all the celebrities in Buckhead are black, not a bad thing, but I'm just showing the differences. Not all of the people that live in Palm Beach are old, there is a mix of people. I'm not really sure what the whole "old money" vs. "new money" thing is about because Palm Beach has "new" looking houses and you always see people driving "new" cars...I don't get it.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,700,683 times
Quote:
I lived in Atlanta up until last year for 2 years. May I ask where this unparalleled nightlife and entertainment in Buckhead exists? I never saw more then the usual bars and clubs you'll see in alot of other places.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:39 AM

72 posts, read 151,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
You don't get it, PALM BEACH AND BEVERLY HILLS ARE NOTHINGGG LIKE BUCKHEAD. Buckhead needs to be compared to other city's midtown type neighborhoods, not a TOWN like Palm Beach or a TOWN like Beverly Hills. As far as the celebrities go, didn't you see the list of Palm Beach celebrites? I didn't even know Buckhead existed before this forum, name some celebrities that live in Buckhead. Palm Beach and Beverly Hills have a diverse group of celebrities but I bet all the celebrities in Buckhead are black, not a bad thing, but I'm just showing the differences. Not all of the people that live in Palm Beach are old, there is a mix of people. I'm not really sure what the whole "old money" vs. "new money" thing is about because Palm Beach has "new" looking houses and you always see people driving "new" cars...I don't get it.
Old money can buy new houses and cars. That comment was just elementary and as far as all of the celebrities being black, that is far from true, but I can no longer communicate with you because that was an extremely insensitive and ignorant comment, which is very untrue. I'm through with this forum, and people can think whatever they want, but at the end of the day, none of the rich people in Buckhead, BH, or PB give a crap about our opinions.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:25 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,107,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I lived in Atlanta for 7 years until this year. I'm very aware. and just because Buckhead is in the city limits doesnt mean its not an edge city. City limits are just an invisible line. Tysons is probably the same distance from the District if not closer. It also has high end residential and such with a very similar mall concept you see in Buckhead. Perimeter Center and Cumberland are like Crystal City and the other DC edge cities like Rosslyn/Vienna. Theres a lot more in common between Atlanta and DC than Atlanta and anywhere else especially the LA area.
Buckhead an edge city? so is Midtown one too?
1. You do know by definition an edge city is a CBD outside a city right? Second buckhead is just as much Atlanta as Downtown is, I wonder if The Lenox Buckhead area was call Downtown and the current area call Downtown was call something else would idiots call the current Downtown area an edge city? You do know that Downtown Atlanta isn’t much bigger than Midtown and the Lenox area right? The city itself is multipolar.

2. It's a shame that you lived in Atlanta for 7 years and was that unknowledgeable or purposely misleading posters. BUCKHEAD IS MOSTLY SINGLE FAMILY UPPER CLASS HOMES the Lenox area the Area yall comparing to Tyson is a very small area of buckhead. Quote "It also has high end residential and such with a very similar mall concept you see in Buckhead" are you serious? Buckead is 1/5 of Atlanta in area that atleast 30sq mi and it’s over 100,000 people in population, Tysons Corner CDP is 18,540 in 4.9 sq mi, Apples and Oranges.

3. Again How are you going to say “Why can't Buckhead be its own animal” than say "Buckhead = Tysons Corner of the South. Again I agree with you about what your saying over the geographic settings of these places to Beverly Hills. And buckhead is not a suburb so Palm Beach would be closer to Beverly Hills. Then Buckhead is larger than Beverly Hills, Palm Beach and Tyson corner Combine. is it's own animal.

YouTube - 0007 "Rich Streets" of Buckhead

YouTube - Atlanta mansions

YouTube - Atlanta Mansions 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I lived in Atlanta up until last year for 2 years. May I ask where this unparalleled nightlife and entertainment in Buckhead exists? I never saw more then the usual bars and clubs you'll see in alot of other places.
Yes, but Actually the night club scene has took a hit in buckhead for condos in the last 2-5 years.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,699,228 times
Palm beach is the closest thing to Beverly hills in the south if not the country or even the world. End of discussion.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:58 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Palm beach is the closest thing to Beverly hills in the south if not the country or even the world. End of discussion.
LOL don't count on it.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Quote:
It is sad to sit here and listen to people go on and on about a place and /or places that they have never even been.
In case you haven't noticed, 99% of the threads here contain arguments involving cities that most people haven't been to. People use things like pictures and demographics to help make their decisions sometimes...or in most cases, they base their decision on pre-conceived notions about cities (aka: Boston is either a bunch of drunk Irish people or blue-blooded snobs living on Beacon Hill...both are very racist; Houston is all Texans with 10-gallon hats wearing six shooters with enormous belt buckles). I'd try to get used to it.

Quote:
Yes, PB looks more like BH, but again I say, in terms of wealth distribution, real-estate layout, celebrity factor, upscale shopping, and 5 star restaurants and hotels, BH and Buckhead are most similar, end of story.
Palm Beach doesn't have those things?

Quote:
Palm beach is mostly old money, and the wealthy people there have a tight circle that is almost impossible to break into, and they look down on people that don't live, think and act as they do.
That's almost a picture-perfect description of Beverly Hill.

Quote:
As a young 25 yr old professional, that does not sound appeasing to me.
I'm assuming you meant to say "appealing" instead of appeasing...but either way, it doesn't matter what appeals to you. This is about which neighborhood is more similar to Beverly Hills...Palm Beach fits that bill more accurately than Buckhead.

Quote:
I live in Buckhead and love it. I recently bought a condo that was expensive, but the amenities of the building, as well as the neighborhood makes up for that ten fold. So Buckhead and BH affords young professionals the opportunity to live, work, and play in those communities, while PB is just an old money, old folks, social club.(Yes I have been to both BH and PB)
Since when did Beverly Hills become a haven for young professionals? The median age of residents there is 41 years old. The average house costs $2.2 million. That doesn't exactly scream "young professional".

You're trying too hard to make Beverly Hills & Buckhead sound similar. It's coming off as desperate in my opinion.

Buckhead is an amazing neighborhood. It's beautiful, offers a great nightlife like you mentioned, and is very wealthy. However it's not on the same level as Beverly Hills or Palm Beach when it comes to extreme wealth. Both BH & PB are often old money, country club crowds. They're filled with elite people of the two largest cities in the country, Los Angeles and New York. They're both in tropical settings...they seem like they're almost interchangeable with one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City