Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the next "big" city?
Omaha 25 6.78%
Jacksonville 23 6.23%
Charlotte 163 44.17%
Albuquerque 35 9.49%
Riverside 10 2.71%
Oklahoma City 37 10.03%
other, be specific 76 20.60%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times

Advertisements

Riverside is growing Fast and it Wouldn't surprise me If San Bernandino-Riverside - Ontario hit 10 million in Pop over the next 50 years. Estimates 4 Million to SB County and 5 Million in RV County making RV County the 2nd most populous county in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 05:24 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Personally, I think that Raleigh has a better chance to become like Atlanta than Charlotte in the Southeast. The educational facilities are there, the high level of educated individuals are there. The research facilities are there. The infrastructure just needs to be built up a little more though.

Raleigh has great potential because of the research triangle. I have a hard time understanding why Raleigh hasn't taken off already though. Charlotte seems to be the boom city in NC.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Riverside is growing Fast and it Wouldn't surprise me If San Bernandino-Riverside - Ontario hit 10 million in Pop over the next 50 years. Estimates 4 Million to SB County and 5 Million in RV County making RV County the 2nd most populous county in California.
That will NEVER happen.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:54 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Even if Roverside does become that populus what does that mean if the economic boom doesn't come with it? I've noticed on this forum we focus so much attention on the polulation and not enough emphasis on the economic significance. As a global example, take Cairo, Egypt and Atlanta. Cairo has a higher metro population, yet Atlanta's metrp gdp, in terms power purchase parity, is higher. The reason why Riverside does look impressive is because of its high gdp. However, factoring in per capita, it does look too goog. Nothing against Riverside.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:58 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Raleigh has great potential because of the research triangle. I have a hard time understanding why Raleigh hasn't taken off already though. Charlotte seems to be the boom city in NC.
Raleigh is doing exceptionally well. However, since its economic boom is primarily in the suburbs and not the city Charlotte is zooming past it, especially within the past 20 years. In Raleigh you have Cary, for instance, a suburb with a population of over 100,000 due to the RTP success. In Charlotte, you have smaller suburbs but the city of Charlotte at over 650,000 people because in the city of Charlotte is where the biggest economic activity is. I would have included Raleigh in this poll but I wanted a fair assessment from around the country even though I do agree that Raleigh could be up there too, and even surpass one of the cities on this poll first.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Raleigh has taken off, but Charlotte has been growing at a significant clip for several years now. Raleigh didn't really take off until the 90's. By that time, Charlotte was already the undisputed big dog in NC for several decades.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:30 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I agree with you.... I could definately see that happening!

If Austin and San Antonio are combined and are 80 miles apart then that could happen with Tampa and Orlando. They are only 86 miles apart. As of right now they would have 4.8 million
actually, the entire I4 corridor is going to become one long metro over the next few decades. assuming we can insure the homes

same thing with 95 (from miami to jax) and 75 (from Ocala to Naples)

Old 02-14-2009, 10:53 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
actually, the entire I4 corridor is going to become one long metro over the next few decades. assuming we can insure the homes

Austin/SA metro are 80 miles apart
Tampa/Orlando are 86 miles apart

I dont know if people realize this but Philly and NYC are only 76 miles apart.

Could you imagine if they lumped Philly and NYC together into the CSA? WOW

Old 02-15-2009, 12:33 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

I highly doubt that Miami and Jacksonville will merge within the next 30 lifetimes. I really mean that. They are more than 300 miles apart. Now maybe they will have a megalopolis. But one long metroplex. Will never happen.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:53 PM

198 posts, read 654,042 times
Honestly... As terrible and disliked as many think it is...
Phoenix, AZ probably has the highest population increase next to Vegas but has an economy that does not rely on tourism.. It has two downtowns that will probably merge within the next 5yrs with high-rises going up in a few other parts of the city.. Within 10yrs Phoenix will probably have a giant skyline.. from downtown to uptown the highrises are about 2 miles of almost being solid..
It's not Dallas but it will probably catch up or surpass within our lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City