Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the next "big" city?
Omaha 25 6.78%
Jacksonville 23 6.23%
Charlotte 163 44.17%
Albuquerque 35 9.49%
Riverside 10 2.71%
Oklahoma City 37 10.03%
other, be specific 76 20.60%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,660 times

Advertisements

I would include Richmond, Virginia in that list. In the ten years I've been here it's grown by leaps and bounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I had no clue the Bureau put out annual UA estimates via the American Community Survey. Thanks for the link.

So the 2007 estimate of 913,040 represents a change of 154,113, or 20.3%, since 2000. San Antonio's 2007 estimate is 1,440,794, which is 113,240 more persons than 2000--a growth rate of 8.5%. By the end of the decade, Charlotte will have easily passed the 1 million mark.

Estimates are just that, estimates. We will wait until the next census comes out. Even so, Charolotte is still more similar to Louisville (urban area 880,000) in the latest estimates than it is to San Antonio or Atlanta or many of the large cities people compare Charlotte to. I dont get how Charolotte has an image of being so much bigger than it really is when you never hear about places like Richmond or Louisville (which in my opinion have much more dense, historic neighborhoods).

Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Estimates are just that, estimates. We will wait until the next census comes out. Even so, Charolotte is still more similar to Louisville (urban area 880,000) in the latest estimates than it is to San Antonio or Atlanta or many of the large cities people compare Charlotte to. I dont get how Charolotte has an image of being so much bigger than it really is when you never hear about places like Richmond or Louisville (which in my opinion have much more dense, historic neighborhoods).
Not sure why you're poo-pooing the estimates, as they give us some insight into the growth that been occurring here lately. They tend to reasonable indicators of that, and they have small margins of error. So they have their place and shouldn't be dismissed outright. And it would also explain Charlotte's image as a bigger city--it's due to the rapid growth that the city has experienced in recent years and continues to experience, both in terms of population and the economy. Richmond and Louisville may be denser, older cities, but they aren't growing quite as quickly as Charlotte--again, both in terms of population and the economy. The economic factors here are more important, as people are naturally attracted to cities that have an abundance of jobs. That's where Charlotte excels, and that's what speaks to people more than dense, historic neighborhoods. People would rather live in a place with more opportunities for economic advancement, which only makes sense.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:31 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
I don't think anyone's economy is excelling. Most fast growing areas will come to a screeching halt with no new jobs being produced.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:17 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Man, I had been keeping tabs on this thread back when i think it was at 5 or 6 pages. Somehow I forgot to look again...gotta get caught back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I highly doubt that Miami and Jacksonville will merge within the next 30 lifetimes. I really mean that. They are more than 300 miles apart. Now maybe they will have a megalopolis. But one long metroplex. Will never happen.
30 lifetimes is a long time. Who knows? In the future, 300 miles may be nothing. Moving up the Florida coast may be like a quick jaunt to grab the newspaper...i dont know. 30 lifetimes ago was the BC era.

But your point still makes sense. The state of Florida (at least minus the panhandle) may soon become eerily similar to the megalopolis in the NE today. But that'll take some time, cause besides Daytona and St Augustine, theres not a lot going on from Jax down to the South FL metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
Honestly... As terrible and disliked as many think it is...
Phoenix, AZ probably has the highest population increase next to Vegas but has an economy that does not rely on tourism.. It has two downtowns that will probably merge within the next 5yrs with high-rises going up in a few other parts of the city.. Within 10yrs Phoenix will probably have a giant skyline.. from downtown to uptown the highrises are about 2 miles of almost being solid..
It's not Dallas but it will probably catch up or surpass within our lifetime.
Interesting. I bet the new light rail is helping with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The Census Bureau isn't buying your consolidated City Pop Of 700,000..+.. something , and no one else in America is buying it either.
Not sure what there is to buy. Consolidation isn't an attempt to boost population ratings...it's intended to make goverment and municipal services more efficient and cost-effective. There are plenty of pros and cons though, but it's not about inflating the population

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
I say Jacksonville. The downtown is improving, and the new international port thats currently being built will bring in a ton of jobs, and a ton of infrastructure for the city.
Yea, I'm excited for Jax! We'll see whether the administration over the next decade can take full advantage of Jacksonville's geographic blessings...but yes, if it can...Jax will be booming for some time to come. Jax Port has its eyes on being the second largest port on the east coast, and thats not far fetched at all. Add in the nuclear carrier coming in a few years, AND the new cruise terminal...Jacksonville can thank its lucky stars for having both a major river and the ocean at its fingertips. I really look forward to getting Peyton out of office, but I'll give him credit for the shipping ports. That will be his legacy as mayor (at least the positive part of it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Well, Charlotte has an NFL and NBA team. Seriously, you are right in saying that an NBA team does not necessarily make a big city, but dont underestimate what it does for a city's image. Also, I dont think people often compare Charlotte to Atlanta. Well, usually it's a comparison to Atlanta of 15-20 years ago. Cause they've got lots going for them and some excellent examples "smart" growth...assuming they survive the banking crisis.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
I don't think anyone's economy is excelling. Most fast growing areas will come to a screeching halt with no new jobs being produced.
I did say "recent years." And a lot of (most) areas will see a slowdown, but it remains to be seen if it will become a "screeching halt."

Old 03-02-2009, 04:06 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
I wouldn't say Jackson, MS will be the "next" big city, but it is definitely on the list for "soon to come" with over $2 billion of downtown development under construction/on the drawing boards.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:04 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,085 times
Quote:
The economic factors here are more important, as people are naturally attracted to cities that have an abundance of jobs. That's where Charlotte excels, and that's what speaks to people more than dense, historic neighborhoods. People would rather live in a place with more opportunities for economic advancement, which only makes sense.
I wouldn't be touting Charlotte's economic opportunities too much being the job losses are continuing to mount and the unemployment rate for its metro area is probably over 9% by now.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I wouldn't be touting Charlotte's economic opportunities too much being the job losses are continuing to mount and the unemployment rate for its metro area is probably over 9% by now.
To clarify, I did mean up to this point. Area unemployment is 8.9%; for Mecklenburg County, it's 8.3%. Still, even in the face of rising unemployment, one of the advantages for Charlotte is an educated, talented labor pool.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
To clarify, I did mean up to this point. Area unemployment is 8.9%; for Mecklenburg County, it's 8.3%. Still, even in the face of rising unemployment, one of the advantages for Charlotte is an educated, talented labor pool.
That's why we love Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City