Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,562,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8131100-post8.html

Look at his 'own' words on the Chicago forum. He admits that 'this' list is tongue and cheek at best!...... And say's that Chicago is NOT the best city!
Duh, of course Chicago isn't the best city for men in the world but neither is New York. Right now I'd say Dublin with all the beautiful and well-educated Polish, Baltic, Hungarian and Slovakian girls flocking there for jobs.

I just knew that the usual suspects would jump all over the list.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:32 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,075,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
NYC is a little too overpriced for you...? You can't put anyone in their place...you just don't have the right or the skill. I know you feel like you've been "treating" me, but truthfully you haven't. You're a failure straight out Pittsburgh, and no matter where you go, the shadow will ALWAYS follow you. (Probably because there is a trail of rust chipping off of you with each and every step).
I'll be the first one to admit that Mannhattan is too overpriced for me. But not the outer-boroughs where I live. My standard of living in Mannhattan would be too low for me at my age with what it cost to live there.

'If' you're going to insult Pittsburgh or Pittsburgh'ers, you really should lay off the 'Steel' comments. Maybe you're a yuppie who thinks this is some kind of insult, but to us, it's something that we are VERY PROUD of!

The men of men worked, and some still do, on those Blast Furnace's! And try and compare your paycheck and benefit package with a union pipefitter, boilermaker, or ironworker walking out of 'those' places!....
You might just blush when you pull your paystub out!.......
Unless you make more than 5 grand a week ......?

Last edited by pittsteelerfan; 03-31-2009 at 07:44 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 PM

464 posts, read 1,080,490 times
Quote:
I'll be the first one to admit that Mannhattan is too overpriced for me. But not the outer-boroughs where I live. My standard of living in Mannhattan would be too low for me at my age with what it cost to live there.

'If' you're going to insult Pittsburgh or Pittsburgh'ers, you really should lay off the 'Steel' comments. Maybe you're a yuppie who thinks this is some kind of insult, but to us, it's something that we are VERY PROUD of!

The men of men worked, and some still do, on those Blast Furnace's! And try and compare your paycheck and benefit package with a union pipefitter, boilermaker, or ironworker walking out of 'those' places!....
You might just blush when you pull your paystub out!.......
Unless you make more than 5 grand a week ......?
...I didn't know welfare gave out that much ,..I might file for it!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
...I didn't know welfare gave out that much ,..I might file for it!
Welfare?......lol lol lol Guess you don't NOTHING about the union trades then, like SO many other things!....

It's OK though. Me and Dementor enjoy 'schooling' you on these types of things!.... God knows we've done it enough!.....

Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 PM

464 posts, read 1,080,490 times
Quote:
Welfare?......lol lol lol Guess you don't NOTHING about the union trades then, like SO many other things!....

It's OK though. Me and Dementor enjoy 'schooling' you on these types of things!.... God knows we've done it enough!.....
Do you not understand what a joke is lol...? You and Dementor know just as much as my four year old cousin...

Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 PM

My neighbor's a big shot for IBEW Local 21, so I know all about the trade unions and their problems. Good workers are getting laid off now because they don't have seniority and everyone else has to pick up the slack. Meanwhile, many of the older people who were talking about retiring when the economy was decent are now sticking around, pissing off the younger guys whose butts are on the line. The job waiting list is longer than he's ever seen it. It's not peachy.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
My neighbor's a big shot for IBEW Local 21, so I know all about the trade unions and their problems. Good workers are getting laid off now because they don't have seniority and everyone else has to pick up the slack. Meanwhile, many of the older people who were talking about retiring when the economy was decent are now sticking around, pissing off the younger guys whose butts are on the line. The job waiting list is longer than he's ever seen it. It's not peachy.
The electritions is probably the most bloated of the union trades (in terms of members who ride the list). Working out of a union hall is a little different than going somewhere and working steady at one location for a long time. Those guys who do get laid off, they can always 'boom out' to find work if there's nothing going on in Chicago.

I don't know why any older guy would stay in the trades cause of the economy. Many union trademan can make just as much retired as they can if they got up and went to work. Especially when you factor in wear and tear on cars, etc. Even if a guy could make 10 grand more a year working than being retired, ain't he working all year for 10 grand then? If he makes 80 grand working, and 70 grand retired, he's leaving the house everyday for and extra 10 grand a year. Doesn't make sense to me.

Unless he's got a bunch of ex-wives, or one who recently divorced him and is getting half.

P.S. If a guy wants to run all over the country and chase all the overtime jobs, off course he'll out make more than being retired. But still, having a comfortable pension, and waking up everyday is alot better than running all over the place and putting all those hours in!

Last edited by pittsteelerfan; 03-31-2009 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
The electritions is probably the most bloated of the union trades (in terms of members who ride the list). Working out of a union hall is a little different than going somewhere and working steady at one location for a long time. Those guys who do get laid off, they can always 'boom out' to find work if there's nothing going on in Chicago.

I don't know why any older guy would stay in the trades cause of the economy. Many union trademan can make just as much retired as they can if they got up and went to work. Especially when you factor in wear and tear on cars, etc. Even if a guy could make 10 grand more a year working than being retired, ain't he working all year for 10 grand then? If he makes 80 grand working, and 70 grand retired, he's leaving the house everyday for and extra 10 grand a year. Doesn't make sense to me.

Unless he's got a bunch of ex-wives, or one who recently divorced him and is getting half.
Probably lost money in real estate, racked up debt, spouse unemployed, etc. It's not pretty out there for anyone unfortunately.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,690,093 times
Your still Arguing Pitsteelerfan,CHI's not going anywhere its still close,Trying to win this thread the Immature way,(Cow Town I Mean Chi Town)

Old 03-31-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Probably lost money in real estate, racked up debt, spouse unemployed, etc. It's not pretty out there for anyone unfortunately.
Of course there are circumstances that people will have why they stay. But most union trademens are retired by between 55-58 years old. Financally it doesn't make sense to stay any longer. And because a lot of these guys work hard for their money, a lot of them don't take chances with investing as some other people do. I know I'm just generalizing here, but believe me, I know from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.