Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:26 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
That's great. You do know Chicago is home to the largest population of Eastern Europeans outside of Eastern Europe, right?
I do not know. Is it? East Europeans are: Russians, Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Belarussians, Ukrainians, Hungarians, Romanians, Lithuanians, Estonians, Latvians.....
Are you sure that Chicago has the largest combined population of immigrants from those countries?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I do not know. Is it? East Europeans are: Russians, Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Belarussians, Ukrainians, Hungarians, Romanians, Lithuanians, Estonians, Latvians.....
Are you sure that Chicago has the largest combined population of immigrants from those countries?
I dunno about real numbers, but there sure is a hell of alot of E.Europeans in DuPage County. There were soooo many in my high school.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:

You want evidence? I'll give you evidence! Have you really been to Chicago? If so, you'd notice the signifcant Eastern European population.

Here it is, taken from your favorite site to use Dementor, Wikipedia:

"Other prevalent European ethnic groups include the Czechs, and Ukrainians. At the turn of the 20th century, Chicago was the third-largest Czech city in the world, after Prague and Vienna.[18] There are approximately 14,000 Ukrainians living within the Chicago city limits[19]. There is a large African American population located mostly on Chicago’s South and West Sides. The Chicago metropolitan area has the second largest African American population, behind only New York City.[20] Chicago has the largest population of Swedish Americans of any city in the U.S. with approximately 123,000. After the Great Chicago Fire, many Swedish carpenters helped to rebuild the city, which led to the saying "the Swedes built Chicago."[21] Swedish influence is evident in Andersonville on the far north side.
The city has a large population of Bulgarians (about 200,000+)[citation needed], Lithuanians,[22] Croats, the second largest Serbian,[23] and the third largest Greek population of any city in the world.[24][25] Chicago has a large Romanian American community with more than 100,000,[26] as well as a large Assyrian population with about 80,000. The city is the seat of the head of the Assyrian Church of the East, Mar Dinkha IV, the Evangelical Covenant Church,[27] and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America headquarters.[12]

Polish people in Chicago have been very prevalent from the city's early history and were influential in the economic and social development of Chicago. Today Poles in Chicago make up the largest ethnically Polish population of any city outside of Poland [15] making it one of the most important centers of Polonia, a fact that the city celebrates every Labor Day weekend at the Taste of Polonia Festival in Jefferson Park.[10] The Southwest Side is home to the largest concentration of Gorals (Carpathian highlanders) outside of Europe. The southwest side is also the location of the Polish Highlanders Alliance of North America. Many Polish churches are found in Chicago, built in the Polish Cathedral style of architecture, and can be seen from the Kennedy Expressway, other roadways, public transportation routes, as well as in the neighborhood street."

And while I'm at it genius, here's a website from the University of Illinois of Chicago's Department of Slavic and Baltic Literature. Taken from the opening paragraph:

"Chicago is home to the largest concentration of East Europeans outside Eastern Europe; and our Department is truly representative of this ethnic diversity in offering a unique range of language and literature courses in Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, Serbian,and Ukrainian"
Department of Slavic and Baltic Languages and Literatures at UIC

I don't expect a logical refutal to this. I think experts at a University would know a heck of a lot more than you.

BTW---- Do you have any Eastern European friends if you're supposedly so cultured? I for one have tons of ethnic Serbian, Polish, Lithuanian, Romian, Baltic, German, and Italian friends.

Not so bad for a cultureless, boring Chicago, ehhhh?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:28 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,551 times
LOL. I can't see what nonsense he posts, but I can certainly see it getting demolished. Typical day at C-D.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
hey i might as well join in the fun
Oh and btw chi..."cough" I mean cow-town is definetly full of hicks

Chicago has one of the largest concentrations of Italian Americans in the US, with more than 500,000 living in the metropolitan area.[17] Chicago has the third largest Italian American population in the United States, behind only New York and Philadelphia. Chicago's Italian community has historically been based along the Taylor Street and Grand Avenue corridors on the West Side of the city, there are significant Italian populations scattered throughout the city and surrounding suburbs. While the best-known Chicagoan of Italian descent is probably still Al Capone, Italian Americans have contributed to Chicago's cultural, political, civic and economic scene.
Chicago has the third-largest South Asian population in the United States, especially many Indians and Pakistanis who live in the city. The Devon Avenue corridor on the north side is one of the largest South Asian neighborhoods/markets in North America. Chicago has the second-largest Puerto Rican population in the continental United States,[28] after New York City, and the second largest Mexican population in the United States after Los Angeles.[29] There are about 185,000 Arabs in Cook County with another 75,000 in the five surrounding counties. Chicago is the center of the Palestinian and Jordanian immigrant communities in the United States.[30][31]

Last edited by mas23; 04-01-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,558,376 times
Glad my comment about all the Polish babies working in Dublin generated these awesome responses. Good work guys.

Polish girls are easy to fall in love with, as I discovered.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,686,241 times
CHI-Town!!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
You want evidence? I'll give you evidence! Have you really been to Chicago? If so, you'd notice the signifcant Eastern European population.

BTW---- Do you have any Eastern European friends if you're supposedly so cultured? I for one have tons of ethnic Serbian, Polish, Lithuanian, Romian, Baltic, German, and Italian friends.

Not so bad for a cultureless, boring Chicago, ehhhh?
As always Chicago gets all puffed up What a city....
I am not saying that Chicago does not have a significant Eastern European population I am only disputing the claim that it is the largest Eastern European immigration in the US. Every big city in America is diverse, Chicago is not an exemption here. There is nothing exciting about it.

Still, New York being three times bigger than Chicago I suspect there are more Eastern Europeans there. As a matter of fact Eastern Europeans have very strong presence in the entire Bosh Wash corridor, you can find them in so many towns in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut. Chicago is not unique here however I do understand that since you do not travel you think there is no diversity outside of Chicago. That's what you get for being located so far away from any other super city.

BTW. I have friends from all over the world but what makes you think that Eastern Euroepans are especially cultured? Some are some are not. Like with all nationalities.

Last edited by dementor; 04-02-2009 at 12:03 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
hey i might as well join in the fun
Oh and btw chi..."cough" I mean cow-town is definetly full of hicks

Chicago has one of the largest concentrations of Italian Americans in the US, with more than 500,000 living in the metropolitan area.[17] Chicago has the third largest Italian American population in the United States, behind only New York and Philadelphia. Chicago's Italian community has historically been based along the Taylor Street and Grand Avenue corridors on the West Side of the city, there are significant Italian populations scattered throughout the city and surrounding suburbs. While the best-known Chicagoan of Italian descent is probably still Al Capone, Italian Americans have contributed to Chicago's cultural, political, civic and economic scene.
Chicago has the third-largest South Asian population in the United States, especially many Indians and Pakistanis who live in the city. The Devon Avenue corridor on the north side is one of the largest South Asian neighborhoods/markets in North America. Chicago has the second-largest Puerto Rican population in the continental United States,[28] after New York City, and the second largest Mexican population in the United States after Los Angeles.[29] There are about 185,000 Arabs in Cook County with another 75,000 in the five surrounding counties. Chicago is the center of the Palestinian and Jordanian immigrant communities in the United States.[30][31]

"One of the largest, one of the biggest"... Of course, we are talking about the third largest city in the US.... There is nothing special about Chicago, maybe besides the fact that it still waits for its Italian or Polish mayor...
So far for diversity in the city of Chicago.

By the way, I thought Al Capone was a New Yorker....

Old 04-02-2009, 12:11 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
As always Chicago gets all puffed up What a city....
I am not saying that Chicago does not have a significant Eastern European population I am only disputing the claim that it is the largest Eastern European immigration in the US. Every big city in America is diverse, Chicago is not an exemption here. There is nothing exciting about it.

Still, New York being three times bigger than Chicago I suspect there are more Eastern Europeans there. As a matter of fact Eastern Europeans have very strong presence in the entire Bosh Wash corridor, you can find them in so many towns in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut. Chicago is not unique here however I do understand that since you do not travel you think there is no diversity outside of Chicago. That's what you get for being located so far away from any other super city.

BTW. I have friends from all over the world but what makes you think that Eastern Euroepans are especially cultured? Some are some are not. Like with all nationalities.
Where's your evidence that you so often claim we need?

The cord works both ways.

And why do you think I've never traveled? I have many balanced, fine things to say about many cities that I've been to, INCLUDING New York. It is you who has only negative, smarmy things to say, including blatant generalizations listed above that you claim Chicago is chock full of.

Case in point: I have nearly 300 less posts than you but over twice as many rep points. Who's your daddy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.