Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:57 PM

464 posts, read 1,080,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I am glad you had such a wonderful experience however for many Poles or Ukrainians reality is not that peachy and many are forced to try their luck abroad, including the US. Why do you think they are here?
Why do you think anyone is here? It's the opportunity to make something of yourself. With more and more countries around the world developing, The U.S is going to see a huge decline in growth as other countries begin to develop.

Quote:
Neither. Who ever said food has anything to do with culture or being cultured???
You did. You talked about restaurants for pages, and even the taste of Chicago. Do you really want to go back to all that?

Quote:
I think you take everything literally, without much effort to comprehend. Yes, I do not try to produce my own movies or stage my own plays. I do not write books that I am reading. Does it makes me passive? Like the most of us I leave certain aspects of culture to the pros.
You should leave everything to the pros, i.e us Chicagoans

[quote=dementor;8158342To summarize, reading Dostoyevsky in Russian or enjoying Futomaki does not automatically make you cultured. As a matter of fact neither does frequenting theater. It's not that simple and it's not automatic. Exposure to culture, however, does wonders and that's why we all love New York
There is no other place on the planet that offers so much, you just have to be willing to take advantage of it and in New York it is hard not to.[/quote]

...It's not hard to be cultured in any American city. You have people from all walks of life in all cities. You don't have one city specializing in all of them.... If you want to learn about the various Asian cultures, you can go to San Fransisco, if you want to learn about Hispanic cultures, go to L.A, if you want a mix of everything stop by in Chicago and NYC.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:45 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,690,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Where's your evidence that you so often claim we need?

The cord works both ways.

And why do you think I've never traveled? I have many balanced, fine things to say about many cities that I've been to, INCLUDING New York. It is you who has only negative, smarmy things to say, including blatant generalizations listed above that you claim Chicago is chock full of.

Case in point: I have nearly 300 less posts than you but over twice as many rep points. Who's your daddy?
It's True He talks a lot of Shizzle about LA but He loves Chicago Like I do.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 PM

464 posts, read 1,080,557 times
Quote:
As always Chicago gets all puffed up What a city....
I am not saying that Chicago does not have a significant Eastern European population I am only disputing the claim that it is the largest Eastern European immigration in the US. Every big city in America is diverse, Chicago is not an exemption here. There is nothing exciting about it.

Still, New York being three times bigger than Chicago I suspect there are more Eastern Europeans there. As a matter of fact Eastern Europeans have very strong presence in the entire Bosh Wash corridor, you can find them in so many towns in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut. Chicago is not unique here however I do understand that since you do not travel you think there is no diversity outside of Chicago. That's what you get for being located so far away from any other super city.

BTW. I have friends from all over the world but what makes you think that Eastern Euroepans are especially cultured? Some are some are not. Like with all nationalities.
NYC isn't three times the size of Chicago. It's a little over two . Do you even know what Super/Mega City Status is? It's a region of over ten million generally . Chicago won't be Mega Status until 2010 Census reports come out. There are only two official super cities in the U.S, but Chicago will be an official one by 2010.

There are other large cities in the Midwest .

Detroit, Michigan
Chicago, Illinois
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Indianapolis, Indiana
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
St. Louis, Missouri
Cleveland, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio
Cincinnati, Ohio

Those are all over 1,000,000 people per region.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,294,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Why do you think anyone is here? It's the opportunity to make something of yourself. With more and more countries around the world developing, The U.S is going to see a huge decline in growth as other countries begin to develop.
This is a rhetorical questions. You can always count on Chicagoan to answer one, though....

Quote:
You did. You talked about restaurants for pages, and even the taste of Chicago. Do you really want to go back to all that?

No. I talked about the lack of international events in Chicago.
I never claimed however that food has anything to do with culture. Do you have a problem with comprehension? Maybe you could find an easier forum?

Quote:
You should leave everything to the pros, i.e us Chicagoans
Yes, you are pros in inflated claims and deep parochialism. I live that to you.

Quote:
...It's not hard to be cultured in any American city. You have people from all walks of life in all cities. You don't have one city specializing in all of them.... If you want to learn about the various Asian cultures, you can go to San Fransisco, if you want to learn about Hispanic cultures, go to L.A, if you want a mix of everything stop by in Chicago and NYC.
And this in your mind means "cultured"... OK.... That explains a lot.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
NYC isn't three times the size of Chicago. It's a little over two .
You are wrong again, Spire. New York has 8,274,527 and Chicago 2,836,659 people so it seems that Chicago is much much closer to being three times smaller than New York than two Do the math.

Quote:
There are other large cities in the Midwest .

Detroit, Michigan
Chicago, Illinois
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Indianapolis, Indiana
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
St. Louis, Missouri
Cleveland, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio
Cincinnati, Ohio
According to today's Sun-Times:

Games are a big plus for city :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Commentary

Big plans for Games are a big plus for city

Dreaming big has made Chicago the vibrant and cosmopolitan town we proudly call home. It's also what distinguishes it from other, decaying Midwestern cities, guaranteeing a future while other cities now can only look back at their greatest days.

Are those the grand cities that Chicago is located near by and you are so proud of? Believe me nobody considers Milwaukee or Indy a big city.
By the way, statements like above, published in big Chicago papers are a reason I do not have any respect for this city. Why do you have to put other cities down, calling them decaying, in order to make yourself feel better? Typical Chicago attitude.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,024,774 times

Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 PM

734 posts, read 2,055,574 times
Not a BigCityGuy post unless there's several random pictures of NYC. At least he's on topic, though.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:06 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,024,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Not a BigCityGuy post unless there's several random pictures of NYC. At least he's on topic, though.
Thanx

Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Thanx

And as always the pictures are great... It takes a lot to even show the scale of NY skyline....

Old 04-03-2009, 11:18 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,075,686 times
Quote:
And as always the pictures are great... It takes a lot to even show the scale of NY skyline....
Hey it takes atleast 2 or 3 pics to show Chicago's.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.