Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 11:02 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Definition of ghettos:Urban Dictionary: ghetto Ghettos existed in NYC, even apart from those places mentioned previously, long before the 1960's.

Ghettos neighborhoods were the poor, immigrants/minorities live. Crime occurs because of their economic situation.

Have you ever heard of Hell's Kitchen? Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia My Grandma was a first generation Italian who was born there in 1900 when the name aptly fit the description. I heard many a story from her about what that place what like then.

The Lower East going back to the late 1800's and mid 1900's would have also been considered a ghetto. Even the East Village would have met the criteria of the above definition until "gentrification".

Gentrification and elimination of rent control/stabilization changed so many of these "ghetto" areas of NYC, but to say they didn't exist before the 70s, or that nobody on this forum would remember them is false, even if we didn't actually grow up there. Some of us had even older relatives of ours who did. If you ancestors immigrated to NYC back in those days, odds are they grew up in a ghetto.
How about the 5 points back in the 1800's? That was what the movie Gangs of NY took place

Old 06-14-2009, 11:11 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
How about the 5 points back in the 1800's? That was what the movie Gangs of NY took place
That is where my Irish ancestors lived. Different groups of immigrants lived in different parts of the city depending on the time period and where they were originally from.

This how your Little Italy's, Chinatowns, etc., came into being.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:30 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
I've been reading the last few pages of replies and I'll put my views in.

If you've been around city-data for a while you would know that about 90% of the people on here do not live in rough areas now, and about 80% were not raised in rough areas. The majority of people on here live in suburban areas or nicer/average urban areas. This is just an observation, and I've been here for a while so I know what I'm talking about. I would guess the average age of these people is mid 40's. That's fine though, no problem with that.

As far as this "hard" and "soft" city nonsense, I can understand both sides of the argument. I'm in my late 20's now, so I've matured and don't care about that reputation thing too much anymore. I don't get what's so good about you're city being "hard". What "hard" basically means is that the living conditions in you're city are horrible from crime, poverty, decay, murders, etc. I'm from rough areas and part of the reason they were considered "hard" was at the expense of many of my good friends and family members lives, whether they were killed, overdosed, incarcerated for crimes, whatever. I don't spend much time on youtube (the video site), but I've seen the comments you speak of and I would recommend that you just ignore them. If they're saying that stuff on youtube they're obviously kids with not much to do, whether from suburbs or elsewhere.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 AM

567 posts, read 1,446,458 times
TANaples, i know. i mentioned on my last post that harlem has always been a ghetto and i also mentioned on a previous post that inner cities (in a crime sense and not necessarily the universal definition of ghetto moreso the american definition....ie decay drugs etc) didn't really exist until the 70s. harlem, hells kitchen etc were crime filled, but they werent decayed and the mafia didn't deal drugs so no, they aren't "inner city" material.

and to the guy who said i want crime to increase or whatever and that its sick for me to want the murder rate to rise so my city isn't "weak".....when did i say any of that? im glad my city is safer, but this has nothing to do with crime. im talking about people saying nyc is weak. thats it. it doesn't irritate me that people say my city is weak because of its low crime....it irritates me that people say my city is weak PERIOD.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I've been reading the last few pages of replies and I'll put my views in.

If you've been around city-data for a while you would know that about 90% of the people on here do not live in rough areas now, and about 80% were not raised in rough areas. The majority of people on here live in suburban areas or nicer/average urban areas. This is just an observation, and I've been here for a while so I know what I'm talking about. I would guess the average age of these people is mid 40's. That's fine though, no problem with that.
Based on your reasoning I am more apt to know the average age and upbringing of the posters on C-D than you.

Then again, someone who has been a member a month longer than me will know better than I would.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:06 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,458 times
again...i don't want my cities crime to increase just so we aren't called weak. i don't know how any of you got that out of what ive been saying. for the last time....im not irritated that people say nyc is weak for its low crime...im irritated because people say my city is weak and that everyone here is fake because of it. would that not press you buttons? you should be calling the people who say that sick, not me. they act like 500 murders a year isnt bad (tough). 1 murder a year is bad.

i'll say it again since some of you might not understand....i could care less if nyc has a low crime rate, but i do care when people talk about where im from. understand now? not like im saying "i wish the crime rate can rise so my city isn't called weak" moreso im saying "i wish these people can stop saying everyone from nyc is weak". was that clear enough?

Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
again...i don't want my cities crime to increase just so we aren't called weak. i don't know how any of you got that out of what ive been saying. for the last time....im not irritated that people say nyc is weak for its low crime...im irritated because people say my city is weak and that everyone here is fake because of it. would that not press you buttons? you should be calling the people who say that sick, not me. they act like 500 murders a year isnt bad (tough). 1 murder a year is bad.

i'll say it again since some of you might not understand....i could care less if nyc has a low crime rate, but i do care when people talk about where im from. understand now? not like im saying "i wish the crime rate can rise so my city isn't called weak" moreso im saying "i wish these people can stop saying everyone from nyc is weak". was that clear enough?
Which brings us full circle.

I can't believe you are that worried about people calling where you live weak, especially on the interwebz.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:28 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
Here's information on that area: Five Points, Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is interesting because it was an area with freed Black slaves from NY(Yup, NY had slavery until 1827) and new Irish immigrants that came due to the Potato Famine in Ireland. They fought against and with each other and even had children with each other.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:34 PM

Default How can anybody say it is weak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
TANaples, i know. i mentioned on my last post that harlem has always been a ghetto and i also mentioned on a previous post that inner cities (in a crime sense and not necessarily the universal definition of ghetto moreso the american definition....ie decay drugs etc) didn't really exist until the 70s. harlem, hells kitchen etc were crime filled, but they werent decayed and the mafia didn't deal drugs so no, they aren't "inner city" material.

and to the guy who said i want crime to increase or whatever and that its sick for me to want the murder rate to rise so my city isn't "weak".....when did i say any of that? im glad my city is safer, but this has nothing to do with crime. im talking about people saying nyc is weak. thats it. it doesn't irritate me that people say my city is weak because of its low crime....it irritates me that people say my city is weak PERIOD.
You don't need to give the examples you do to prove it isn't weak. Don't you think 9/11 alone proved that? What other city survived something like that and came back even stronger?

There have been so, so many other instances of devastating events that have happened over the years which I will not go into, but it's still going isn't it? It's just the evey day average Joes and Janes who deserve the credit.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Default NYC Race Riots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's information on that area: Five Points, Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is interesting because it was an area with freed Black slaves from NY(Yup, NY had slavery until 1827) and new Irish immigrants that came due to the Potato Famine in Ireland. They fought against and with each other and even had children with each other.
I was never taught about that in school. I didn't learn about it until I started doing genealogy and couldn't escape the why's of what happened to ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City