Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 02:58 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
now imagine hearing that or reading that all the time. about two weeks ago i was on another forum and the topic came up and someone asked me where im from. i says "nyc" and someone else says "man that b---- a-- city". would that not be offensive to you? or are you all just so mature than you show no anger?
That is offensive and that type of crap makes me defensive too. I feel where you're coming from. I just think you're reacting to the wrong audience since most posters on this thread would agree that NYC has bad neighborhoods and wouldn't come at you like that. But I hate when punks gotta talk down for no good reason. And anyone has the right to defend where they're from if someone is attacking.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You don't need to give the examples you do to prove it isn't weak. Don't you think 9/11 alone proved that? What other city survived something like that and came back even stronger?
Honolulu did, let's not forget that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Tough is picking yourself up after a calamity, be that a 9/11, an earthquake, a hurricane, etc., etc., and surviving and going on with your life. It just so happens that right now in history 9/11, which happened in NYC, is probably the most catalismic event to occur in US history. I was just trying to give that poster some comfort with his pride in his City.
Now that's an exaggeration. I in NO WAY WHATSOEVER am trying to marginalize what happened on 9/11; that was one of the worst days I've ever experienced and I am not even close to being over it. But the "most cataclysmic" I would hesitate to label it when we just had Katrina happen a few years ago and I lived through the '89 earthquake in SF. The body count was w/o a doubt higher on 9/11 and only comparable to Pearl Harbor IMO, but the total destruction was minimal in comparison to several disasters that have occurred in our history.

It may have been the hugest, most-symbolic building complex in our country, but it was ONE building complex vs. the destruction of entire areas. I think Katrina, the Loma Prieta Earthquake, the LA Rodney King riots, the Mt. St. Helens eruption, the CA wildfires and the Florida hurricanes were all much more destructive or cataclysmic than 9/11. And I think "toughness" was shown by all the people who got through these occurences and carried on.

Not to take anything at all away from how NY recovered from that tragedy. I'm just saying that there are other instances where Americans have had to do the same thing.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:21 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,259 times
lol, cool video and a good song too.
but yea, i feel you. i over reacted a little. im glad you know where im coming from though.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:22 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
la's murder rate is 10 i believe.
yea, the source i looked at said 9.8, but its all the same. i could've sworn it was around 15,

Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Please get back on the original topic. Please report posts that are off topic and do not respond to them.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:15 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Honolulu did, let's not forget that.

Now that's an exaggeration. I in NO WAY WHATSOEVER am trying to marginalize what happened on 9/11; that was one of the worst days I've ever experienced and I am not even close to being over it. But the "most cataclysmic" I would hesitate to label it when we just had Katrina happen a few years ago and I lived through the '89 earthquake in SF. The body count was w/o a doubt higher on 9/11 and only comparable to Pearl Harbor IMO, but the total destruction was minimal in comparison to several disasters that have occurred in our history.

It may have been the hugest, most-symbolic building complex in our country, but it was ONE building complex vs. the destruction of entire areas. I think Katrina, the Loma Prieta Earthquake, the LA Rodney King riots, the Mt. St. Helens eruption, the CA wildfires and the Florida hurricanes were all much more destructive or cataclysmic than 9/11. And I think "toughness" was shown by all the people who got through these occurences and carried on.

Not to take anything at all away from how NY recovered from that tragedy. I'm just saying that there are other instances where Americans have had to do the same thing.

any race riot was changing in history, 90% of all cities that have had them, became urban ghettos' and only some have bounced back up, detroit,Newark,Cincinnati, all are dying city's with something in common. miami is lucky to come out of everything it has. 1 race riot in the 60's another in the 80's with the mariel boatlift, drug cartels, high crime and extreme poverty. and then andrew in 92. really is a magic city.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:18 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,634 times
I think the worst towns have to be among these:

Gary, Indiana
Saginaw, Michigan
Flint, Michigan

I lived outside of Flint for several months. It drove me crazy.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM

258 posts, read 443,271 times
The one where the space aliens are feeding on humans. Sort of like the rich feed on the poor. No one is better than anyone else. Money is only a way that humans seperate themselves. It a sad world we live in. Hope the future is better than now. We need fusion power, and the end will come to the classes and the division between them!!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I've just heard that Camden, NJ or Brick, NJ are one of the worst places to live. But I'm not sure about Brick, it might be one of the BEST--not sure.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've just heard that Camden, NJ or Brick, NJ are one of the worst places to live. But I'm not sure about Brick, it might be one of the BEST--not sure.
Yeah, Brick Township is one of the nicest places in the country. It had to be on one of the "better" lists floating around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City