Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 12:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You don't need to give the examples you do to prove it isn't weak. Don't you think 9/11 alone proved that? What other city survived something like that and came back even stronger?
Uh, Atlanta? Try the only American city ever totally destroyed in a war.

Of course, since it was the Civil War it probably doesn't count, right?

Old 06-14-2009, 12:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Not even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Uh, Atlanta? Try the only American city ever totally destroyed in a war.

Of course, since it was the Civil War it probably doesn't count, right?
We are talking about foreign terroists killing thousands of people in a matter of hours in an attempt to bring destruction to the entire US. 9/11 wasn't just about NYC. It was aimed at AMERICA.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:52 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Well, it didn't matter which way you shot in the civil war, you'd have "aimed at AMERICA" pretty much everywhere.

Anyhow, let's try to not rack points for which city can go through the most destruction. I'm sure we'll all end up winners in a nuclear winter or asteroid impact anyway.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
We are talking about foreign terroists killing thousands of people in a matter of hours in an attempt to bring destruction to the entire US. 9/11 wasn't just about NYC. It was aimed at AMERICA.
Well then why do all of you New Yahkers try to OWN 9/11 - just like in your previous post?.

Let me quote you: "What other city survived something like that and came back even stronger?"

I gave THE prime example. If you choose to ignore or marginalize it, that is YOUR problem - not mine.

You have almost perfected the art of changing the subject to suit your argument. You should give lessons.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Default The Civil War

Quote:
Well then why do all of you New Yahkers try to OWN 9/11 - just like in your previous post?.

Let me quote you: "What other city survived something like that and came back even stronger?"

I gave THE prime example. If you choose to ignore or marginalize it, that is YOUR problem - not mine.

You have almost perfected the art of changing the subject to suit your argument. You should give lessons.
which basically was a LOCAL war, not a foreign power, was over a 100 years ago. How many people were living in Atlanta during the Civil War versus how many people were living in NYC in 2001. Did the burning of Atlanta bring fear across the entire country like 9/11 did? 9/11 WAS meant to bring AMERICA down. NYC was just symbolic to them. It represented America. Did Atlanta during the Civil War represent America across the states?

Why in the world am I saying all this? I was addressing another poster in my post who wanted to defend his city. Why does the SOUTH ALWAYS come up in these posts?????

Get over the Civil War. America is not just the SOUTH.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
which basically was a LOCAL war, not a foreign power, was over a 100 years ago. How many people were living in Atlanta during the Civil War versus how many people were living in NYC in 2001. Did the burning of Atlanta bring fear across the entire country like 9/11 did? 9/11 WAS meant to bring AMERICA down. NYC was just symbolic to them. It represented America. Did Atlanta during the Civil War represent America across the states?

Why in the world am I saying all this? I was addressing another poster in my post who wanted to defend his city. Why does the SOUTH ALWAYS come up in these posts?????

Thank you. You just confirmed what I totally expected you to say.

And I might add, get over YOURSELF. America is not just NEW YORK.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:15 PM

Default Read my previous post

Quote:
Thank you. You just confirmed what I totally expected you to say.

And I might add, get over YOURSELF. America is not just NEW YORK.
and get over FLOREDUH, and the SOUTH.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:46 PM

I was only try to clarify what a ghetto neighborhood was and also the meaning of "tough". Tough does not necessarily involve street fighting. Tough is picking yourself up after a calamity, be that a 9/11, an earthquake, a hurricane, etc., etc., and surviving and going on with your life. It just so happens that right now in history 9/11, which happened in NYC, is probably the most catalismic event to occur in US history. I was just trying to give that poster some comfort with his pride in his City.

It seems the intent of my agrument to the other poster was hijacked.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:48 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:

This was not about North vs South.
You asked what other city had been through what NYC had been through with 9/11. When he gave a prime example you deflected to a N vs S argument since you realized he was right.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
This was not about North vs South.
You asked what other city had been through what NYC had been through with 9/11. When he gave a prime example you deflected to a N vs S argument since you realized he was right.
Thanks, Mike.

Neither one of them is capable of EVER admitting they are EVER wrong about ANYTHING.

EVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City