Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
living/growing up in the city, doesn't mean the same thing as living/growing up in the inner city. thats what i was getting at. most people on here wouldn't understand why i would be offended with someone on here calling my city weak. they would think its childish or whatever.
You are just making alot of assumptions that are not backed up by any facts.
You have no idea where most of the people on here grew up.
Many may have grown up in NYC during the 80's and 90's when, by your own admission, it was much worse than it is today.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 AM

567 posts, read 1,445,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You are just making alot of assumptions that are not backed up by any facts.
You have no idea where most of the people on here grew up.
Many may have grown up in NYC during the 80's and 90's when, by your own admission, it was much worse than it is today.
the whole city wasn't just a giant, crime filled hell hole then. you still had safe areas. but anyway, i think its safe to say (just like you said most of the "gangster" people on youtube are suburban) that most people on this forum are, like i said, well to do 50 somethings. theres no denying that. its not like its a bad thing, but its not like i expect them to understand what im getting at either.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
the whole city wasn't just a giant, crime filled hell hole then. you still had safe areas. but anyway, i think its safe to say (just like you said most of the "gangster" people on youtube are suburban) that most people on this forum are, like i said, well to do 50 somethings. theres no denying that. its not like its a bad thing, but its not like i expect them to understand what im getting at either.
Actually, judging by the intelligence level I have seen displayed by many on here, I do not think that most people on here are well to do 50 somethings.

Also, as previously mentioned, what evidnece do we have that those well to do 50 somethings did not grow up in the inner city?

Does someone need to have been, shot, stabbed, etc. to be able to understand the inner city?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Actually, judging by the intelligence level I have seen displayed by many on here, I do not think that most people on here are well to do 50 somethings.
what correlation is there between age of an adult and intelligence?

Quote:
Also, as previously mentioned, what evidnece do we have that those well to do 50 somethings did not grow up in the inner city?
because inner cities (in a crime sense) didn't even exist until the mid 70's? maybe thats it. i have met people here that grew up in compton, detroit etc but they weren't warzones then. if your over 50, most likely, you were born before the 60's and reached maturity in the 70's....ie you weren't raised in a ghetto. chances are they continued to live there, but again, they weren't raised there. but thats not the point.

Quote:
Does someone need to have been, shot, stabbed, etc. to be able to understand the inner city?
no, thats ridiculous.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
what correlation is there between age of an adult and intelligence?

For the most part a well to do person will have a higher intelligence than someone who is not as well off. Not always true but on average it definitely is

because inner cities (in a crime sense) didn't even exist until the mid 70's? maybe thats it. i have met people here that grew up in compton, detroit etc but they weren't warzones then. if your over 50, most likely, you were born before the 60's and reached maturity in the 70's....ie you weren't raised in a ghetto. chances are they continued to live there, but again, they weren't raised there. but thats not the point.

There were more murders in NYC in 1972 and 1973 than in 1982,1983,1984,1985,1986 and 1987
1975 and 1976 were higher than 83,84,85 and 86.

no, thats ridiculous.
Seems that some of us that were actually there at the time remember it a little differently.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 AM

ok 1) i asked "what correlation is there between AGE of an adult and intelligence?". why are you talking about income?

2) i was born in '74, so i would say i was around then. but why are you stating murder rates in the 70s??? i never said it wasn't dangerous then, i said they (50 somethings) weren't RAISED in inner cities as they didn't exist until they were around the age of 17-26. so even though by the time those 50 somethings were adults, their neighborhood was a ghetto doesn't mean they were raised in a ghetto. a person born in the south bronx in the 40s (for example) cant say they were raised in the ghetto, because the south bronx wasnt a ghetto until atleast the mid 60s. now, someone from harlem is different. harlem has always been a ghetto. there were more murders in harlem in 1920 than there were last year. so yea, a 50 something from harlem could possibly relate to me. a 50 something from the south bronx? no

Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 AM

47 posts, read 128,960 times
Hey GDK94, you think it's cool to have a high crime rate with people on the streets killing each other? Your city is weak if it doesn't have enough murders? It's sick how people can think that way. You should have pride if your city has a low crime rate, not a high one. There's nothing hard or cool if a family member or close friend gets shot, or anyone for that matter. A couple years back, a kid was shot and killed who goes to the high school by gang violence, though he wasn't a member. Needless to say, it wasn't a pleasant day or week.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:03 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
but watch though. right now NYCs murder rate is hovering between 5 and 7 and people think thats weak or something. 15 years from now when oakland or so and so city has the same murder rate and NYC is around 2 or 3, people will STILL say nyc is weak and so and so has a murder rate of 6 so its real or its tough.

example, when nyc had a murder rate of about 15 or 16 it was criticized. now, LA has a murder rate of 15 or 16 and its real somehow??? please.
Everything is relative...

And LA's murder rate has been lower than that for a while:

1998 - 11.8
1999 - 11.6
2000 - 14.9
2001 - 15.6
2002 - 17.1
2003 - 13.4
2004 - 13.4
2005 - 12.6
2006 - 12.4
2007 - 10.2

Old 06-14-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
ok 1) i asked "what correlation is there between AGE of an adult and intelligence?". why are you talking about income?

Well, being I never said there was a correlation between the age of an adult and intellect I decided to post something about the correlation between intellect and income.

2) i was born in '74, so i would say i was around then. but why are you stating murder rates in the 70s??? i never said it wasn't dangerous then, i said they (50 somethings) weren't RAISED in inner cities as they didn't exist until they were around the age of 17-26.

Inner Cities have been around since cities have been around

so even though by the time those 50 somethings were adults, their neighborhood was a ghetto doesn't mean they were raised in a ghetto. a person born in the south bronx in the 40s (for example) cant say they were raised in the ghetto, because the south bronx wasnt a ghetto until atleast the mid 60s. now,

So since the South Bronx was a ghetto in the mid 60's and someone who is 50 years old would have been 5 or 6 years old in the mid 60's, they were then raised in the ghetto. Thank you for helping me prove my point.

someone from harlem is different. harlem has always been a ghetto. there were more murders in harlem in 1920 than there were last year. so yea, a 50 something from harlem could possibly relate to me. a 50 something from the south bronx? no
filler

Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Definition of ghettos:Urban Dictionary: ghetto Ghettos existed in NYC, even apart from those places mentioned previously, long before the 1960's.

Ghettos neighborhoods were the poor, immigrants/minorities live. Crime occurs because of their economic situation.

Have you ever heard of Hell's Kitchen? Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia My Grandma was a first generation Italian who was born there in 1900 when the name aptly fit the description. I heard many a story from her about what that place what like then.

The Lower East going back to the late 1800's and mid 1900's would have also been considered a ghetto. Even the East Village would have met the criteria of the above definition until "gentrification".

Gentrification and elimination of rent control/stabilization changed so many of these "ghetto" areas of NYC, but to say they didn't exist before the 70s, or that nobody on this forum would remember them is false, even if we didn't actually grow up there. Some of us had even older relatives of ours who did. If you ancestors immigrated to NYC back in those days, odds are they grew up in a ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City