Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times

Advertisements

This is a new list that just came out: Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop

I was just talking about this in another thread about how it is very misleading.

Something similar about almost all of them on the list is that they are almost completely abandoned or vacant areas. One on the list is the area just south of where Robert Taylor Homes were, and that area is currently 90% vacant lots/non residential but its next to a major street that many people pass through. Same type of thing with the Cleveland one. It includes an area on the Eastside Ashland ave. and nearly all the blocks off that are 90%+ vacant lots or abandoned houses.

What this means is that with the area being so abandoned with such a low population, it's very easy for the crime rate in that neighborhood to look much higher and it makes it even higher if they are near heavily populated areas or major roads like many of them are on the list.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:03 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Interesting to note East St. Louis has 31,000 people and 19 murders last year.

I have no doubt in my mind that areas of major cities have more murders in such a confined space as well. There are parts of Cleveland, OH with a population of around 30,000 (if you outlined where clusters of homicides occur) that have 20-30 murders a year. I'm sure the same can be said about Detroit, Chicago, or Balitmore, etc.
East St. Louis had about 30 murders in 2007.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Ha! Harlem made the list.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah St. Nicholas and 125th... I'm there all the time...what a laugh. It wasn't even East Harlem I won't take that article seriously.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 PM

122 posts, read 295,171 times
Quote:
Ive been reading stuff on the NYC forum because im interested in moving but on there most people say Harlem is not that bad any more and pretty much any area in Harlem is safe because of all the gentrification going on. Is this not true, is Harlem still the "hood"?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Yeah St. Nicholas and 125th... I'm there all the time...what a laugh. It wasn't even East Harlem I won't take that article seriously.
It's a terrible neighborhood. I remember walking through 125th trying to get to the 4 train and by the St Nich intersection it seemed more desolate and I saw alot of rats and vagrants.

It was at 1 am on a Friday though.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac14 View Post
Ive been reading stuff on the NYC forum because im interested in moving but on there most people say Harlem is not that bad any more and pretty much any area in Harlem is safe because of all the gentrification going on. Is this not true, is Harlem still the "hood"?
Harlem is not that. It kind of depends on your comfort level, or your confidence level. NYers can pick out someone that doesn't belong very easily. If you belong than your pretty safe even i East Harlem which is still pretty rough. Harlem in general is decent, but has some rough parts. 125th and St. Nicholas would definately not be one of the rough parts. I would say that if you're moving to NYC and find an apartment in Harlem go check it out. Don't discount the nabe as there are plenty of people from all races that live there, although depending on the part is either mostly black or hispanic.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac14 View Post
Harlem is still definitely the hood. Some blocks have really cleaned up but alot of Harlem is still the hood.

- Harlem is still contains the worst parts of Manhattan.

- When talking about NYC bad nabes, I wouldn't hesitate to put Harlem up there with the S.Bronx, North BK etc

- Many people think that just because Harlem is in Manhattan, that it can't be bad or as bad as other places. That's so far off from the truth when really, throughout NYC history, Harlem has probably been it's most infamous nabe and has held the title of murder capital many times.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
It's a terrible neighborhood. I remember walking through 125th trying to get to the 4 train and by the St Nich intersection it seemed more desolate and I saw alot of rats and vagrants.

It was at 1 am on a Friday though.
Are you really a NYer??? the 4 runs no where near there. The A, B,C,D run there. The 4 is on the lexington line which runs up Lexington in East harlem. I agree that East Harlem is bad, but you're confused about where 125th and St. Nick is.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Harlem is still definitely the hood. Some blocks have really cleaned up but alot of Harlem is still the hood.

- Harlem is still contains the worst parts of Manhattan.

- When talking about NYC bad nabes, I wouldn't hesitate to put Harlem up there with the S.Bronx, North BK etc

- Many people think that just because Harlem is in Manhattan, that it can't be bad or as bad as other places. That's so far off from the truth when really, throughout NYC history, Harlem has probably been it's most infamous nabe and has held the title of murder capital many times.
Lol.... Harlem isn't that bad... Where do you actually live, because you don't know harlem at all. You don't even know where the 4 runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City