Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 208 62.28%
Long Island 126 37.72%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 AM

98 posts, read 172,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
You can't just make a blanket, dismissive statement like that.

I can also say "C'mon, there is not a whole lot to do in Brooklyn and Queens". But instead, I gave specific examples to support my opinion."
What am I supposed to do? Drag you to Wallington and show how bland the area is with just a few Polish restuarants compared to thriving and hip Greenpoint, Brooklyn? Drag you to Brighton Beach? Show you the Greek Astoria? What examples are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Let's face it...there is not a whole lot to do in Brooklyn and Queens, and there certainly is NOT more to do than in NJ. I will once again assert my claim -- there is NOTHING you can find in Queens/Brooklyn/Nassau/Suffolk that you CAN NOT find in NJ. There are things, however, that you can access in NJ that you cannot on Long Island.
Yes. the entire 5.5M Queens and Brooklyn are simply huge rediential areas; ) Guy, there are more art galleries in Queens and Brooklyn than in entire New Jersey. I bet Williamburg and downtown Brooklyn has more art galleries than entire New Jersey... After all Queens and Brooklyn are actual cities and there is no 5M city anywhere in Jersey. Somehow urbanity seems a strange concept to New Jerseyans... C'mon New Joisey, be realistic.

Last edited by broadwaynow; 12-15-2009 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Sorry, but Brooklyn/Queens sports doesn't hold a candle to the Meadowlands (not to mention, Red Bull Arena or the PruCenter.)
So now you are claiming NY sport teams as your own?

Quote:
NYC's lifeblood is Manhattan. Brooklyn, is larger than NJ cities, but is literally no better than JC..
Yoiu haven't been to Brooklyn and Queens lately, have you? How about Silver Cup films studios in Queens? How about art galleires of Williamsburg?
Manhattan become to small to be sole lifeblood of NYC long time ago... Brooklyn and Queens as JC? Why not Newark? Give me a break...

Quote:
And to sum it all up, no Brooklynite would ever consider themselves a Long-Islander
Of course not. Yet in reality both Brooklyn and Queens are located on the island... And yes, every Brooklynite consideres himself a New Yorker, now we would all laugh if a resident of Hoboken or JC tried to make a similar cliam... Long Island has always been connected to NYC, the larger part of New York is located on the island and the Hamptons are where prominent New Yorkers go to the beach.

Last edited by broadwaynow; 12-15-2009 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,839,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaynow View Post
Misguided? That's my opinion. I think even Pennsylvania beats New Jersey in diversity and natural settings with an exception of the shore of course.
But New Jersey is pretty bland, it's major cities such as Newark or Jersey City are not much in terms of cultural experience. It's smaller cities like Morristown or Trenton are even worse. Even neighboring Pennsylvania has Philly and Pittsburg while New Jersey has not even one decent city...
C'mon. Although extremely affluent New Jersey never aspired to have a cultural and arts center. Like I said it is very bland.
Now, the island of Long Island is divided into four counties: Kings, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk and as much smaller than New Jersey cannot offer as much in terms of natural settings as New Jersey but when it comes to cultural experience even the first two beat it hands down.
Only if your ignorant to it.

Pennsylvania is known for not being so culturally diverse. New Jersey is far more diverse than Pennsylvania.

Newark has no culture experience? You obviously don't know a thing about Newark to even say anything about it.

-Newark was once home to one of the largest little Italy's in the nation (Sicilian Culture: Little Italy Neighborhoods: Newark NJ)
-Newark's Ironbound section has a very large Portugese/Brazilian population where you could get a great experience with the culture.
-Rutgers University in Newark has been the most diverse university 12 years in a row.
-Newark is home to African Globe Theater which cultivate the diverse interests of a multi-cultural American audience by sharing and experiencing the cultural, artistic and literary heritage of people of African descent.
-Newark is where the 60s riots hit hardest between whites and blacks.

As for Jersey City.. well it's the nations most racially diverse city in the nation.

But I guess you were unaware of Newark's and Jersey Cities cultural experience because like many, your blinded by it's neighbor.

Why not it's smaller cities like Edison and Paterson?
Edison has some of the best public schools of any other city of it's size, and it has the highest percentage of Indians than any other city.
Paterson is also home to the second largest waterfall in the northeast (but I guess that's bland to you) and it's so rich in history.

As for your comment stating "NJ hasn't come up with one decent city" is absurd because back in the 30s-40s, cities like Newark and Paterson were twice the size they are now and for people working in industry, the two places were VERY ideal. The wealthy moved from NYC to Newark and Paterson (just look at the mansions in Newark and Paterson)

NJ cities now might not be so great but they're making strides (with the exception of Camden) Newark's crime has decreased tremendously over a 20 year period, more so than almost all other cities in the nation.
Jersey City is growing more than most outsiders think. It's ideal for business, and it's more affordable to live there than Manhattan without having to resort to a crummy overpriced apartment in the Bronx.

Jersey City is turning into a more well-known city now, and in the near future it will be more than just a decent city in NJ.

http://www.ci.newark.nj.us/visitors/places_to_go.php
For you to even think North Jersey doesn't beat Long Island in cultural experience is strange.
And again, you guys are mentioning Brooklyn and Queens like they're apart of Long Island suburbs as well.

The comparison of North Jersey and Long Island are obviously a battle between two NY suburbs.. but like any thread, you people will try to find anyway to win... unsuccessfully.

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-15-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,727,487 times
Don't forget the Belmont Stakes are on LI also.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Only if your ignorant to it.

Pennsylvania is known for not being so culturally diverse. New Jersey is far more diverse than Pennsylvania.
Not known? Maybe you are just "ignorant to it"? Pennsylvania with both Amish Lancaster county and Polish and German Wilkes-Barre and many other German, Italian and Dutch and other ethnic communitiess is less diverse than New Jersey? What about Philadeplhia being a home to many ethnic communities? What about Western PA?

Quote:
Newark has no culture experience? You obviously don't know a thing about Newark to even say anything about it.

-Newark was once home to one of the largest little Italy's in the nation (Sicilian Culture: Little Italy Neighborhoods: Newark NJ)
-Newark's Ironbound section has a very large Portugese/Brazilian population where you could get a great experience with the culture.
-Rutgers University in Newark has been the most diverse university 12 years in a row.
-Newark is home to African Globe Theater which cultivate the diverse interests of a multi-cultural American audience by sharing and experiencing the cultural, artistic and literary heritage of people of African descent.
-Newark is where the 60s riots hit hardest between whites and blacks.
Yeah, I can definetely see how the riots in the 60s and being ONCE home to the largest Italian community can pass as cultural experience. Give me a break now, will ya? Why don't you tell me about theater and art in Newark? About art galleries there instead of absurd arguments you just posted?

Quote:
As for Jersey City.. well it's the nations most racially diverse city in the nation.
No, kidding? So it is not New York but JC? Not Flushing Queens, but run down city in New Jersey?

Quote:
But I guess you were unaware of Newark's and Jersey Cities cultural experience because like many, your blinded by it's neighbor.

Why not it's smaller cities like Edison and Paterson?
Edison has some of the best public schools of any other city of it's size, and it has the highest percentage of Indians than any other city.
Paterson is also home to the second largest waterfall in the northeast (but I guess that's bland to you) and it's so rich in history.
Again, is this what passes for cultural experience in New Jersey? Percentage of Indians and best public schools?

Quote:
As for your comment stating "NJ hasn't come up with one decent city" is absurd because back in the 30s-40s, cities like Newark and Paterson were twice the size they are now and for people working in industry, the two places were VERY ideal. The wealthy moved from NYC to Newark and Paterson (just look at the mansions in Newark and Paterson)
That was in the 30-40s right? How about now?

Quote:
Jersey City is turning into a more well-known city now, and in the near future it will be more than just a decent city in NJ.

City of Newark, NJ - Arts and Culture
For you to even think North Jersey doesn't beat Long Island in cultural experience is strange.
And again, you guys are mentioning Brooklyn and Queens like they're apart of Long Island suburbs as well.

The comparison of North Jersey and Long Island are obviously a battle between two NY suburbs.. but like any thread, you people will try to find anyway to win... unsuccessfully.
Brooklyn and Queens most eastern areas are not that different than Lynbrook or Garden City... And yes, both NYC boros are located on the island that is called Long Island..

Last edited by broadwaynow; 12-15-2009 at 01:51 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 01:37 PM

32,986 posts, read 36,507,139 times
Quote:
Apparently the reason the two are compared is because they are both apart of the NYC metropolitan area. Brooklyn and Queens are in NYC, but geographically on LI's turf... The Statue of liberty is in NJ but it's not NJ.

So if people are now including Brooklyn and Queens to Long Island to boost it's ratings.. then why not compare that with the whole state of NJ since adding Queens and Brooklyn is adding about 5 million more people? It has to be a fair comparison people.
I think it would be fair to consider at least the northern half of New Jersey. The geographic center of the state is New Egypt, Plumstead Township, Monmouth County.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:49 PM

893 posts, read 2,868,170 times
After reading this thread I have some questions.

1> What makes the NY Giants/Jets/Redbulls any less of a NY team because they play in NNJ ( a part of the NYC Metro Region)?
2> What makes someone who commutes to NYC daily for work any less than a New Yorker than someone who commutes from Long Island?
3>People on the LI board always talk about Queens and Brooklyn negatively, but when you're losing in a thread why mention them?

I read somewhere that a drag queen once said "New Jersey and Long Island? Same sh!& differen't direction"

BTW I'm a Long Islander, but I know that NNJ offers more than Long Island does. Would I choose to live in NNJ over Long Island? That's a different story since its where I grew up. But would I cross NNJ off my list all together? No. To me it seems like the real competition is NNJ&LI vs Westchester/Fairfield.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:33 PM

Bud, if you spent some time in New Jersey you would know that MOST of New Jersey including North Jersey display totally different menatlity than New Yorkers. New Jersey are ladies in fur coats and tennis shoes getting out of PATH in WTC...

PS. I never spoke bad about Long Island, I am from Brooklyn but like LI beaches, fresh fish and atmosphere... For me LI is Billy Joel, Baldwin, Howard Stern and Montauk lighthouse. I always like LI as an easy weekend geteway. North Jersey on the other hand? Well besided college town of Mont Clair and some areas close to the city is not much to look at. Endless suburbia. I don't know what is worse: run down dumps like Elisabeth, Irvington, Newark, Passaic, Union, Paterson or culturally sterile Sparta, Clifton, Wallington, Rockaway, Wayne etc. All those New Jerseyans complaining about New York only to present themsleves as New Yorkers whenrver they travell outside of the tri-state area. Even South Jersey makes fun of the pretentious North Jersey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
After reading this thread I have some questions.

1> What makes the NY Giants/Jets/Redbulls any less of a NY team because they play in NNJ ( a part of the NYC Metro Region)?
2> What makes someone who commutes to NYC daily for work any less than a New Yorker than someone who commutes from Long Island?
3>People on the LI board always talk about Queens and Brooklyn negatively, but when you're losing in a thread why mention them?

I read somewhere that a drag queen once said "New Jersey and Long Island? Same sh!& differen't direction"

BTW I'm a Long Islander, but I know that NNJ offers more than Long Island does. Would I choose to live in NNJ over Long Island? That's a different story since its where I grew up. But would I cross NNJ off my list all together? No. To me it seems like the real competition is NNJ&LI vs Westchester/Fairfield.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,839,926 times
Quote:
Not known? Maybe you are just "ignorant to it"? Pennsylvania with both Amish Lancaster county and Polish and German Wilkes-Barre and many other German, Italian and Dutch and other ethnic communitiess is less diverse than New Jersey? What about Philadeplhia being a home to many ethnic communities? What about Western PA?
Ok.. and NJ is still more diverse.
It's obvious and factual.

New Jersey is one of the most ethnically and religiously diverse states in the country. It has the second largest Jewish population by percentage (after New York);[23] the second largest Muslim population by percent (after Michigan); The largest population of people from Costa Rica in the United States; the largest population of Cubans outside of Florida; the third highest Asian population by percent; the third highest Italian population by percent according to the 2000 Census; and a majority of the population is Caucasian. African Americans, Hispanics and Latinos, and Arabs are also high in number. It has the third highest Indian population of any state by absolute numbers.[24][25][26][27] Also, it has the third largest Korean population, fourth largest Filipino population, and fifth largest Chinese population.[28] The five largest ethnic groups are: Italian (17.9%), Irish (15.9%), African (13.6%), German (12.6%), Polish (6.9%).

Quote:
Yeah, I can definetely see how the riots in the 60s and being ONCE home to the largest Italian community can pass as cultural experience. Give me a break now, will ya? Why don't you tell me about theater and art in Newark? About art galleries there instead of absurd arguments you just posted?
You totally just skipped the "African Globe Theatre" in my comment.
And I gave you the link City of Newark, NJ - Arts and Culture ... your just too busy looking for points to cut me down

Quote:
No, kidding? So it is not New York but JC? Not Flushing Queens, but run down city in New Jersey?
Are you aware that JC's racial makeup is practically 25%/25%/25%/25%
https://pics.city-data.com/craces/13814.jpg (broken link)

And judging by your statement towards JC, I'm sure you never traveled in and around JC... And please don't lie and say you did.

Quote:
Again, is this what passes for cultural experience in New Jersey? Percentage of Indians and best public schools?
Not at all. Can you bring up small towns in Long Island and compare them to one's in NNJ and tell me what has more cultural experience?

elaborate what you're perspective is on "cultural experience". I mean obviously your pretty obsessed with it and I'm sure If you told me what your looking for, I can find it in NJ.

Quote:
That was in the 30-40s right? How about now?
Right now NJ's cities are recovering after a rough past.
Newark is making strides and the biggie, Jersey City will soon be very well known Model of urban future: Jersey City? - USATODAY.com

"It's part of a remarkable demographic and economic U-turn. In a region where many cities are shrinking, Jersey City in the last quarter-century has gained about 30,000 residents, 27,000 jobs and 18 million square feet of prime office space — more than all such space in downtown Atlanta, Phoenix or Miami."

Quote:
Brooklyn and Queens most eastern areas are not that different than Lynbrook or Garden City... And yes, both NYC boros are located on the island that is called Long Island..
Brooklyn and Queens are apart of NYC
They're GEOGRAPHICALLY settled on Long Island, yes... Brooklynites would never be caught dead calling themselves Long Islanders. this thread is a comparison between two metros. Adding Queens and Brooklyn to the equation is contradicting the comparison.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:07 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,101,308 times
Quote:
Bud, if you spent some time in New Jersey you would know that MOST of New Jersey including North Jersey display totally different menatlity than New Yorkers. New Jersey are ladies in fur coats and tennis shoes getting out of PATH in WTC...

PS. I never spoke bad about Long Island, I am from Brooklyn but like LI beaches, fresh fish and atmosphere... For me LI is Billy Joel, Baldwin, Howard Stern and Montauk lighthouse. I always like LI as an easy weekend geteway. North Jersey on the other hand? Well besided college town of Mont Clair and some areas close to the city is not much to look at. Endless suburbia. I don't know what is worse: run down dumps like Elisabeth, Irvington, Newark, Passaic, Union, Paterson or culturally sterile Sparta, Clifton, Wallington, Rockaway, Wayne etc. All those New Jerseyans complaining about New York only to present themsleves as New Yorkers whenrver they travell outside of the tri-state area. Even South Jersey makes fun of the pretentious North Jersey...
Ya the fact that new jersey is completely different than new york is something they have a hard time understanding, which comes off as extremely weird too me. Being a new yorker doesnt depend on if you live in manhattan or not lol. They think they are just as new york as the bronx,brooklyn and queens. All of which are distinctivly new york. Its funny

Do south jersians think there phillidelphians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City