Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 208 62.28%
Long Island 126 37.72%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:43 PM

98 posts, read 172,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Okay, openheads is actually right, this is going all the way troll.

Once someone uses language like: "Nobody ever says I am going to New Jersey with any excitement in their voice" (which doesn't even make sense), then the discussion goes from a decent back/forth to a ridiculous put-down fest. I won't be a part of it. I'll defend NJ, but not from foolishness on the other end.

A New York State of Mind...my goodness.

You win. I'm done.

No matter how many condos you will build and how much Manhattan spillover you will get New Joisey will always stay New Joisey: cultural desert and subject of constant jokes by New Yorkers. It's not only Conan O'Brian that does it Gulliani expressed a popular sentiment when he said, reffering to Ellis Island ownership dispute with New Jersey: "I do not think my father wanted to come to New Jersey"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 03:44 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
New Jerseians are aware that they're different; Especially the people in NJ cities. (Ever see the pride in someone from Newark or Paterson?)
It's those damn NYers that want to believe otherwise to build on to their ego and cockiness.
BP,

don't bother, he's a new guy and he doesn't want to talk about NJ (and the poll on this thread sure isn't helping his cause), he's trolling here just to try to bring it down.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,368,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
JC looks no more 'dumpish' than Brooklyn. As to my understanding, Brooklyn's downtown and brownstones have cleaned up (gentrification) in recent years. Guess what? The same has occurred in JC.

So much so that Jersey City has the taller skyline outside of Manhattan (boroughs included)
You mean you don't like that beautiful Citi building towering over the Queens skyline ?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:52 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
You mean you don't like that beautiful Citi building towering over the Queens skyline ?

A gorgeous building indeed, but not taller than Goldman Sachs

Old 12-15-2009, 03:55 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,829,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaynow View Post
More diverse than PA? More diverse than Brooklyn or Queens?
Yes, more diverse than Pa. Ask anyone, people are aware of NJ's strong diversity.. I'm not sure why you're so ignorant to it.

Quote:
I am simply not that interested in African culture but maybe you could explain to me how the riots in the 60's made your list of cultural institutions in New Jersey?
So if it's not culture YOU like than it doesn't count? Well aren't you selfish.

And the riots was an example of people fighting to keep cultural institutions (Among whites (mainly Italians) and Blacks)

Quote:
No. But I am ware of most of JC looking like a dump.
The "dumpy" sections of JC aren't as bad as the one's in Brooklyn I'll tell you that. Brownsville, Redhook, Bed Stuy, Flat bush-- sheesh... Even Jersey Cities median household income is higher than Brooklyns.

Quote:
Art galleries, theater, film studios, anything remotely related to culture...
I already posted a link of all the art galleries and theaters located in Newark..
But even with that said I think it's ironic you say all this because NJ is filled with theaters, art galleries, etc.

New Jersey Performing Arts Center
Discover Jersey Arts

but I get it.. you're from NYC.. your not aloud to believe that NJ has any sense in anything NYC is famous for..

Quote:
No it is simply cognizant of Long Island's topography. Why would you cut the Island in half and only talk about Nassau and Suffolk counties?
I already stated why.
THIS THREAD IS A COMPARISON BETWEEN TWO NYC SUBURBS.

Unless you believe Brooklyn and Queens are NYC suburbs, then I don't know why adding 5 million+ people to the comparison is fair.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 PM

98 posts, read 172,125 times
Quote:
Yes, more diverse than Pa. Ask anyone, people are aware of NJ's strong diversity.. I'm not sure why you're so ignorant to it.
Why do you mean by ask "anyone"? PA has a real Dutch community as in Pennsylvania Dutch. Anything as original in New Jersey?

Quote:
And the riots was an example of people fighting to keep cultural institutions (Among whites (mainly Italians) and Blacks)
What? Riots as an example of culture? And who told you they were about keeping cultural institutions?

Quote:

The "dumpy" sections of JC aren't as bad as the one's in Brooklyn I'll tell you that. Brownsville, Redhook, Bed Stuy, Flat bush-- sheesh... Even Jersey Cities median household income is higher than Brooklyns.
Buddy, I have seen JC as recently as last week. Big progress in some areas but most of it is still just a dump. Let's not talk about Newark, OK?

Quote:
I already posted a link of all the art galleries and theaters located in Newark..
But even with that said I think it's ironic you say all this because NJ is filled with theaters, art galleries, etc.

New Jersey Performing Arts Center
Discover Jersey Arts
Right. That's a total of two. Both clearly on the forefront of culture
Proud NJPAC on route 21 You forgot the largest IMAX this time

Quote:
but I get it.. you're from NYC.. your not aloud to believe that NJ has any sense in anything NYC is famous for..
Nobody outside of New Joisey believes that. For us New Joisey are those ladies in fur coats and tennis shoes outside of Penn Station, suspicious smell on the turnpike and bad drivers. Also object of Conan Obrian's jokes As you know New Jersey even have a special name in New York

Quote:
I already stated why.
THIS THREAD IS A COMPARISON BETWEEN TWO NYC SUBURBS.

Unless you believe Brooklyn and Queens are NYC suburbs, then I don't know why adding 5 million+ people to the comparison is fair.
First of all where does it say it is about suburbs? Second, Suffolk county is hardly NYC's suburb. Honestly, besides rich Alpine, college-town Mont Clair and yuppiefied Hoboken most of New Jersey is simply sterile, endless suburbia.
On the other side you have pictureques towns like the Hamptons or Montauk, beautiful beaches, wineries, lighthouses all missing in North Jersey.
You know very well that Queens and Brroklyn are located in Long Island so why keep denying it?

Last edited by broadwaynow; 12-15-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 04:40 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,277,411 times
Quote:
Bud, if you spent some time in New Jersey you would know that MOST of New Jersey including North Jersey display totally different menatlity than New Yorkers. New Jersey are ladies in fur coats and tennis shoes getting out of PATH in WTC...

PS. I never spoke bad about Long Island, I am from Brooklyn but like LI beaches, fresh fish and atmosphere... For me LI is Billy Joel, Baldwin, Howard Stern and Montauk lighthouse. I always like LI as an easy weekend geteway. North Jersey on the other hand? Well besided college town of Mont Clair and some areas close to the city is not much to look at. Endless suburbia. I don't know what is worse: run down dumps like Elisabeth, Irvington, Newark, Passaic, Union, Paterson or culturally sterile Sparta, Clifton, Wallington, Rockaway, Wayne etc. All those New Jerseyans complaining about New York only to present themsleves as New Yorkers whenrver they travell outside of the tri-state area. Even South Jersey makes fun of the pretentious North Jersey...
Actually, women wearing professsional attire is a "city" thing, since they have to walk so much in Manhattan. This is not unique to commuting women from NJ...it is seen on women commuting from anywhere from Upper East Side, Queens, from Brooklyn, from NJ, Long Island, Westchester, etc. They typically change their shoes when they arrive at their office.

You're a New Yawka and you didn't know that?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
What am I supposed to do? Drag you to Wallington and show how bland the area is with just a few Polish restuarants compared to thriving and hip Greenpoint, Brooklyn? Drag you to Brighton Beach? Show you the Greek Astoria? What examples are you talking about?

Yes. the entire 5.5M Queens and Brooklyn are simply huge rediential areas; ) Guy, there are more art galleries in Queens and Brooklyn than in entire New Jersey. I bet Williamburg and downtown Brooklyn has more art galleries than entire New Jersey... After all Queens and Brooklyn are actual cities and there is no 5M city anywhere in Jersey. Somehow urbanity seems a strange concept to New Jerseyans... C'mon New Joisey, be realistic.
My man...if you are denying that Brooklyn and Queens are 99% residential than you simply don't know the city that you claim to be from. Come on.

I'd estimate that at least 50% of Kings and Queens County neighborhoods are dumps...and many New Yorkers that I know would absolutely agree with me.

Regarding Brooklyn and Queens being a part of Long Island - put it this way. 99% of people that live in Brooklyn and Queens would cringe when asked if they live on Long Island, and would deny it. And 99% of Nassau/Suffolk County residents would absolutely deny that Brooklyn and Queens are Long Island. So take that for what it is (and if you are a New Yorker you know that I'm right).

Lastly...why are you calling our state New Joisey? It's pronounced New Jersey.

Oh and PS ... look at the scoreboard

Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 PM

The most amusing part of this thread, is that broadwaynow lives near Long Island City, and yet he calls "most of JC a dump".

I laughed out loud.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,829,314 times
Quote:
Why do you mean by ask "anyone"? PA has a real Dutch community as in Pennsylvania Dutch. Anything as original in New Jersey?
That doesn't make it more diverse.
But you could say the same about LI..

Quote:
What? Riots as an example of culture? And who told you they were about keeping cultural institutions?
Italians were trying to keep their neighborhood Italian influenced. Cultural Institutions.. trying to keep cultural traditions and values.

Quote:
Buddy, I have seen JC as recently as last week. Big progress in some areas but most of it is still just a dump. Let's not talk about Newark, OK?
Brooklyn still has crappier areas than anywhere in JC... case closed
Newark can be very dumpy... just like a lot of NYC.

Quote:
Right. That's a total of two. Both clearly on the forefront of culture
Proud NJPAC on route 21 You forgot the largest IMAX this time
I showed you more than two.. you just overlook everything you don't want to know.
I showed you this...
City of Newark, NJ - Arts and Culture

Newark offers a rich variety of theater, dance, and music, as well as an array of museums and galleries showcasing art and history.

Quote:
Nobody outside of New Joisey believes that. For us New Joisey are those ladies in fur coats and tennis shoes outside of Penn Station, suspicious smell on the turnpike and bad drivers. Also object of Conan Obrian's jokes As you know New Jersey even have a special name in New York
And that's what makes you people seem so ignorant.

Quote:
First of all where does it say it is about suburbs? Second, Suffolk county is hardly NYC's suburb. Honestly, besides rich Alpine, college-town Mont Clair and yuppiefied Hoboken most of New Jersey is simply sterile, endless suburbia.
On the other side you have pictureques towns like the Hamptons or Montauk, beautiful beaches, wineries, lighthouses all missing in North Jersey.
You know very well that Queens and Brroklyn are located in Long Island so why keep denying it?
-I should correct you since this is about the 3rd time.. it's Montclair.

the Op stated "Both Just outside of NYC." .. Brooklyn and Queens aren't outside of NYC, they're IN NYC. So he obviously is comparing the two regions as suburbs.
Long Island is the epitome of suburban sprawl more so than north jersey.

NNJ is missing those things while LI is missing Waterfalls and ski resorts (mountains). NNJ has a winery, a very beautiful one at that http://www.newjerseywines.com/photos.html
Another thing NNJ has over LI is not being so isolated.

I also never denied that Queens and Brooklyn are on LI. they're just not on suburban LI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City