Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 208 62.28%
Long Island 126 37.72%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:11 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,972,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Ya the fact that new jersey is completely different than new york is something they have a hard time understanding, which comes off as extremely weird too me. Being a new yorker doesnt depend on if you live in manhattan or not lol. They think they are just as new york as the bronx,brooklyn and queens. All of which are distinctivly new york. Its funny
I certainly don't think I'm a NY'er. Don't put words in peoples mouths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,841,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Ya the fact that new jersey is completely different than new york is something they have a hard time understanding, which comes off as extremely weird too me. Being a new yorker doesnt depend on if you live in manhattan or not lol. They think they are just as new york as the bronx,brooklyn and queens. All of which are distinctivly new york. Its funny

Do south jersians think there phillidelphians?
New Jerseians are aware that they're different; Especially the people in NJ cities. (Ever see the pride in someone from Newark or Paterson?)
It's those damn NYers that want to believe otherwise to build on to their ego and cockiness.

98 posts, read 172,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Ok.. and NJ is still more diverse.
It's obvious and factual..
More diverse than PA? More diverse than Brooklyn or Queens?

Quote:
You totally just skipped the "African Globe Theatre" in my comment.
And I gave you the link City of Newark, NJ - Arts and Culture ... your just too busy looking for points to cut me down .
I am simply not that interested in African culture but maybe you could explain to me how the riots in the 60's made your list of cultural institutions in New Jersey?

Quote:
Are you aware that JC's racial makeup is practically 25%/25%/25%/25%.
No. But I am ware of most of JC looking like a dump.

Quote:
And judging by your statement towards JC, I'm sure you never traveled in and around JC... And please don't lie and say you did. .
Of course not. I even take GWB just to avoid JC altogether..

Quote:
Not at all. Can you bring up small towns in Long Island and compare them to one's in NNJ and tell me what has more cultural experience?.

elaborate what you're perspective is on "cultural experience". I mean obviously your pretty obsessed with it and I'm sure If you told me what your looking for, I can find it in NJ..
Art galleries, theater, film studios, anything remotely related to culture...

Quote:
Right now NJ's cities are recovering after a rough past.
Newark is making strides and the biggie, Jersey City will soon be very well known Model of urban future: Jersey City? - USATODAY.com.
Right.I've heard that before. Let me know when they actually recover

Quote:
Brooklyn and Queens are apart of NYC
They're GEOGRAPHICALLY settled on Long Island, yes... Brooklynites would never be caught dead calling themselves Long Islanders. this thread is a comparison between two metros. Adding Queens and Brooklyn to the equation is contradicting the comparison.
No it is simply cognizant of Long Island's topography. Why would you cut the Island in half and only talk about Nassau and Suffolk counties?

2,881 posts, read 6,098,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaynow View Post
So now you are claiming NY sport teams as your own?

Yoiu haven't been to Brooklyn and Queens lately, have you? How about Silver Cup films studios in Queens? How about art galleires of Williamsburg?
Manhattan become to small to be sole lifeblood of NYC long time ago... Brooklyn and Queens as JC? Why not Newark? Give me a break...

Of course not. Yet in reality both Brooklyn and Queens are located on the island... And yes, every Brooklynite consideres himself a New Yorker, now we would all laugh if a resident of Hoboken or JC tried to make a similar cliam... Long Island has always been connected to NYC, the larger part of New York is located on the island and the Hamptons are where prominent New Yorkers go to the beach.

Yeah, the Jets are Giants are 'real' NY teams lol. We all know metro-area sports don't stop at city limits, or there would be a real naming problem

Sorry, but no, I've never ever met a Brooklynite (or a Queens resident for that matter-I was stationed in Ft. Totten for awhile) that considers theirself a 'Long-Islander'.

When someone says Long-Island, it is immediately known that they're not talking about BK/QNs I'm surprised you're actually trying to bring this up for discussion (perhaps to give LI that little 'boost' lol)

Queens doesn't have the financial capacity that JC has, and Brooklyn is a borough first, then a city. Neither BK or QNs has anything like Liberty State Park, or the Liberty Science Center (largest IMAX).

And lastly, LI is indeed connected with NYC, but no more than North Jersey is unfortunately.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
More diverse than PA? More diverse than Brooklyn or Queens?

No. But I am ware of most of JC looking like a dump.

Of course not. I even take GWB just to avoid JC altogether..

Art galleries, theater, film studios, anything remotely related to culture...
JC looks no more 'dumpish' than Brooklyn. As to my understanding, Brooklyn's downtown and brownstones have cleaned up (gentrification) in recent years. Guess what? The same has occurred in JC.

So much so that Jersey City has the taller skyline outside of Manhattan (boroughs included)

Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Yeah, the Jets are Giants are 'real' NY teams lol. We all know metro-area sports don't stop at city limits, or there would be a real naming problem

What??? Jets and Giants are NEW YORK teams even though the stadium is located in Jersey the same way Intel is an American company even though most of production is done in Korea.

Quote:
Sorry, but no, I've never ever met a Brooklynite (or a Queens resident for that matter-I was stationed in Ft. Totten for awhile) that considers theirself a 'Long-Islander'.
I never said that. However I live 5 minutes away from Long Island City. That's in Queens, you know. I live in Brooklyn.

Quote:
When someone says Long-Island, it is immediately known that they're not talking about BK/QNs I'm surprised you're actually trying to bring this up for discussion (perhaps to give LI that little 'boost' lol)

Queens doesn't have the financial capacity that JC has, and Brooklyn is a borough first, then a city. Neither BK or QNs has anything like Liberty State Park, or the Liberty Science Center (largest IMAX).
And New Jersey does not have anything remotely simialr to Willaimbsurg, Brooklyn or Silver Cup movie studios in Queens. There is no Park Slope and no Forrest Hills. Largest IMAX? Wow, Keep it.

Quote:
And lastly, LI is indeed connected with NYC, but no more than North Jersey is unfortunately.
Not really. Long Island to most New Yorkers are famillair beaches and pictureseque towns like Hamptons or Montauk. People since ever moved to Long Island to buy a bigger house etc... New York State of Mind.
You can hear people "we are going to Long Island" and it is understood what they have in mind, most likely the beach. Nobody ever says I am going to New Jersey with any excitement in their voice. New Jersey is just boring New Joisey. Nobody wants to know about it.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:31 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,972,479 times
This thread has turned into a troll fest............................

Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
New Jerseians are aware that they're different; Especially the people in NJ cities. (Ever see the pride in someone from Newark or Paterson?)
No. I can't imagine you can be proud of being from Newark or Paterson in the first place... Proud of what???

Old 12-15-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
What??? Jets and Giants are NEW YORK teams even though the stadium is located in Jersey the same way Intel is an American company even though most of production is done in Korea.

I never said that. However I live 5 minutes away from Long Island City. That's in Queens, you know. I live in Brooklyn.

And New Jersey does not have anything remotely simialr to Willaimbsurg, Brooklyn or Silver Cup movie studios in Queens. There is no Park Slope and no Forrest Hills. Largest IMAX? Wow, Keep it.

Not really. Long Island to most New Yorkers are famillair beaches and pictureseque towns like Hamptons or Montauk. People since ever moved to Long Island to buy a bigger house etc... New York State of Mind.
You can hear people "we are going to Long Island" and it is understood what they have in mind, most likely the beach. Nobody ever says I am going to New Jersey with any excitement in their voice. New Jersey is just boring New Joisey. Nobody wants to know about it.

Okay, openheads is actually right, this is going all the way troll.

Once someone uses language like: "Nobody ever says I am going to New Jersey with any excitement in their voice" (which doesn't even make sense), then the discussion goes from a decent back/forth to a ridiculous put-down fest. I won't be a part of it. I'll defend NJ, but not from foolishness on the other end.

A New York State of Mind...my goodness.

You win. I'm done.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:42 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,974,342 times
Ask Infamous92, he says he's more of a Long Islander than a city guy, lol. He lives in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City