Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 04:43 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,690,477 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia
Seattle
Chicago
San Diego
Salt Lake City
Denver
Boston
Houston
Atlanta
Miami
Los Angelas
Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:41 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Really haven't travelled extensively enough throughout north America to make a detailed list...This one is pretty much based on my jerk reactions of how fun I found each city based mostly on extremely limited visits and places where I could see myself living.

1. Northwest Portland, Oregon - I really have yet to find a place I would want to live more than my hometown (though I grew up in the burbs). It's green spaces are what I would miss most if I left...I mean really there are at least a dozen parks within walking or very short driving distance away from my house, and I don't mean tiny patches of grass that you find in southern California, I mean parks at least an acre in size but typically much larger with forest area, swamps, streams (large enough for my dogs to swim in). It has an awesome and accessible downtown, wine country, the mountain, the gorge, the beach within an easy drive....ideal...clean...everything I could really want.

2. South bay area of Los Angeles, California - If there's one place that might unseat Portland as the place I'd want to live it might be L.A. It's truly unlike any other place I've been. I live here now as a student, so my opportunities to actually get out and really know L.A. well have been extremely limited, but I like what I see. In the line of work I plan to enter I would not make enough money to live in the nicer parts of L.A. County so we'll see where I end up. Also, there's the crowds and lack of green space that I previously mentioned. Taxes are high, and the transportation sucks, but I still think that if L.A. had the public transportation infrastructure that New York had it could be the greatest city in the world.

3. Anywhere in the San Francisco bay area - Probably the most beautiful major city I have yet to see. Have never had a bad time in San Fran and I even liked the Silicon Valley area a lot when I drove through. It has fantastic weather and a high quality of life. I could easily be happy living anywhere in the area.

4. New York City, New York - No explanation needed. I definitely want to spend some time there, but I have yet to decide if it's a place I could live for my entire life.

5. Seattle, Washington - I love Seattle for the same reasons I love Portland, but considering the roots I have in Portland, I probably wouldn't live in Seattle unless I had some amazing job opportunity; however, the career I will be pursuing in the near future wouldn't allow for that.

6. Washington, DC - Absolutely loved it when I stayed there a few years back, granted a large part of the reason I loved it so had to do with the fact that I stayed with friends in a stellar row-house on the hill with a roof deck and view of the Capitol building. The subway and fast pace of the city also appeal to me, and in all honestly I will probably be living in D.C. for a good many years for my career.

7. San Diego, California - I have had only one brief visit to San Diego, but I liked what I saw. Love the climate, culture, and amenities but again, considering its extreme proximity to L.A. the only reason I'd live there would be some great job opportunity.

8. Vancouver, British Columbia - Competes with San Francisco as the most beautiful city I've ever seen. It scored lower on the list only because it's in Canada and I probably wouldn't live outside the U.S. unless I were working at the American Consulate there.

9. Las Vegas, Nevada - I would never live in Sin City let me say that now, but I will return again and again when I need to escape my life for some heathen fun.

These are really the only cities I have spent enough time in to develop mature opinions on. I have been to New Orleans and frankly, I won't be returning for at least a decade. I was in Boston for a week and I'm sure I would like it a lot more if I returned, but it didn't seem all that unique or exciting to me at the time.

Cities I would love to visit soon: Miami, Honolulu, Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, Denver, Austin.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:54 PM

250 posts, read 246,123 times
top 12 no order

honolulu
San Francisco
Chicago
New york city
san diego
miami
los angeles
philadelphia
toronto
vancouver
washington dc
mexico city

Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
I will simply list top 12 favorite USA cities, in no particular order:

Seattle
New York
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
Washington D.C
Boston
Portland
Denver
Minneapolis
Chicago
Phoenix

Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 AM

457 posts, read 1,108,515 times
1) NYC
2) Chi
3) Toronto
4) Montreal
5) SF
6) Vancouver
7) Bos
8) DC
9) Phil
10) Sea
11) LA
12)Baltimore or maybe Ottawa

I am a little unsure about the placement of some of these cities. Particularly Montreal and Vancouver. Also, I am sure Mexico City probably deserves to be on the list, if simply for the vibrancy.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,271 times
I wonder how many people that chose Miami have actually been there.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM

250 posts, read 246,123 times
i chose it off the strength alone of the quality of bird watching in south beach alone. i dont think ive ever done more double takes in my life.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:33 PM

353 posts, read 816,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
I wonder how many people that chose Miami have actually been there.
What's wrong with Miami?!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
New York City
Chicago
Portland, OR
Cleveland
Ann Arbor
Reading, PA
Milwaukee
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Toronto
Traverse City
Boston

Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
1. New York City
2. San Diego
3. Vancouver
4. Chicago
5. Boston
6. Toronto
7. Washington, DC
8. San Francisco
9. Philadelphia
10. Miami
11. San Antonio
12. Montreal

Mexico City would make it on my list if there wasn't so much damn pollution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City