Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:05 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
You know, I always find it so ironic how northerners claim to be so intelligent and well-rounded, yet they make such blatantly ignorant statements. Lol as if TGI Friday's and Papa John's have NO locations in Jersey . Don't kid yourself, man.

And, no, when I speak of the cuisine in SC I am not talking about chains. I'm talking about locally owned restaurants and home cooks.

And diversity does not mean it will taste good on my tongue, so you can keep your pizza and bagels. I'll take my BBQ steak, smothered turkey legs, perfectly seasoned chicken, grits, and peach cobbler. Thank you.
OK, you're the one that brought food into the discussion. SC does Southern Cuisine/Comfort Food quite well. Understood. And that type of cuisine is *your* preference. That makes sense, but since food preferences are entirely subjective by definition, that's not really a great gauge of the quality of the food in the two regions/states. Diversity in types of cuisines available *is not* subjective. And in that regard (diversity in different types of cuisines available), NJ is the clear winner.

But for what it's worth, I've been to several kick-butt southern cuisine restaurants in NJ (and NYC). Owner/chefs from the South.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:18 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,835,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
OK, you're the one that brought food into the discussion. SC does Southern Cuisine/Comfort Food quite well. Understood. And that type of cuisine is *your* preference. That makes sense, but since food preferences are entirely subjective by definition, that's not really a great gauge of the quality of the food in the two regions/states. Diversity in types of cuisines available *is not* subjective. And in that regard (diversity in different types of cuisines available), NJ is the clear winner.

But for what it's worth, I've been to several kick-butt southern cuisine restaurants in NJ (and NYC). Owner/chefs from the South.
You're the one who brought diversity into the discussion. Not me. In my original post, I stated that the food is better in SC than NJ. Not just because I like soul food, but because I feel it is of greater quality than what is offered in Jersey.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:38 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
You know, I always find it so ironic how northerners claim to be so intelligent and well-rounded, yet they make such blatantly ignorant statements. Lol as if TGI Friday's and Papa John's have NO locations in Jersey . Don't kid yourself, man.

And, no, when I speak of the cuisine in SC I am not talking about chains. I'm talking about locally owned restaurants and home cooks.

And diversity does not mean it will taste good on my tongue, so you can keep your pizza and bagels. I'll take my BBQ steak, smothered turkey legs, perfectly seasoned chicken, grits, and peach cobbler. Thank you.
stop taking advantage of the fact that many ppl here havent been to south carolina. Knowing that, you can paint any vivid picture you want and if somebody calls you out on it, you can always say-well you've actually got to visit to find out. lol

If columbia(where im currently going to school at now) is any indication, than the food here is garbage. Nothing but chains, what great food are u talking about, golden corral? lmao

Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
If columbia(where im currently going to school at now) is any indication, than the food here is garbage. Nothing but chains, what great food are u talking about, golden corral? lmao
There are lots of great local, non-chain eateries in Columbia, most notably in the Vista district (http://www.vistacolumbia.com/maincategory.asp?Search=Dining - broken link) downtown. But Charleston/the Lowcountry is the epicenter of good Carolina cuisine, hands down.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
stop taking advantage of the fact that many ppl here havent been to south carolina. Knowing that, you can paint any vivid picture you want and if somebody calls you out on it, you can always say-well you've actually got to visit to find out. lol

Thank you for just proving my point all over again.

You stating that Columbia, SC has only chain restaurants means one of three things: you're either telling a flagrant lie, you're so busy trying to tell yourself that nothing in Columbia is worth your time that you won't even bother to try the hundreds of local restaurants available in the area, OR the only thing you eat is Pizza Hut or order-in Chinese because you never leave your apartment.

And you can't talk about me, because if I had said the exact same things about Jersey, posters from all over the Tri-State area would lose their minds.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
Thank you for just proving my point all over again.

You stating that Columbia, SC has only chain restaurants means one of three things: you're either telling a flagrant lie, you're so busy trying to tell yourself that nothing in Columbia is worth your time that you won't even bother to try the hundreds of local restaurants available in the area, OR the only thing you eat is Pizza Hut or order-in Chinese because you never leave your apartment.

And you can't talk about me, because if I had said the exact same things about Jersey, posters from all over the Tri-State area would lose their minds.
i didnt prove any point. Im actually in south carolina and im calling u out on this. SC overwhemingly consist of "chain" food. It simply cant even begin to be on the same level as jersey. Its laughable actually

Old 09-29-2009, 08:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
i didnt prove any point. Im actually in south carolina and im calling u out on this. SC overwhemingly consist of "chain" food. It simply cant even begin to be on the same level as jersey. Its laughable actually
I'm sure you could say that every state "overwhelmingly" consists of restaurant chains, but even if you disagree, there's probably no way to prove anything either way, at least conveniently. But to say that there's nothing but restaurant chains in Columbia (to say nothing of the rest of the state) is quite disingenuous. If you haven't had the time to check out the local joints or if you lack the interest, then just say so.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:09 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Didn't you just lol the hell out of a transplant telling a native what he does or does not know? I guess you don't stick to even your own logic sometimes. That being said, I enjoy living on the outskirts of big cities, and I thought Princeton was fantastic. So it's New Jersey for me.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-29-2009 at 09:53 PM..

Old 09-29-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Since when does having a surplus of chain restaurants mean having no quality local restaurants?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
its no secret that fast food and chain restaurant culture owns the rural south...come on, talking the home of 1500 waffle houses. Where longhorn steak house has valet parking... I haven't spent much time in columbia...but plenty of other similar size cities in the south, if it is anything like it, going to be pretty crap options overall compared to the rest of the u.s. That whole region north florida/georgia/alabama/missisippi/arkansas/south carolina is behind, outside of major metro like ATL, the rest of the u.s. in culinary options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City