Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 05:14 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times

Advertisements

I think of southern twangs (nasally, quick and often quick or clipped speech) as typical dialects of the upper south while southern drawls (colonial era, slow, old south, over enunciation of vowels) as typical of the deep south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 08:21 AM

842 posts, read 826,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I think of southern twangs (nasally, quick and often quick or clipped speech) as typical dialects of the upper south while southern drawls (colonial era, slow, old south, over enunciation of vowels) as typical of the deep south.
I do too, in general. As mentioned earlier in the thread, old money White Southerners also tend to speak with a genteel old Southern drawl, even in parts of the South where most White people speak with a twang. I'm always amazed by how many politicians in Alabama sound like they stepped off the set of Gone With the Wind (Jeff Sessions and Guvnuh Ivey for example), but I think it mostly has to do with descent from old money. Some of it is generational in some areas as well. The older people I know in Birmingham are more likely to drawwwwwl than the younger ones.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:07 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
It's a question of one being rhotic vs. non-rhotic, a fancy way of saying using hard rs versus soft or nonexistent ones. Drawls tend to be non-rhotic, where all the hard consonants are softened and the rs are either diminished or nonexistent.

A more rhotic sound is more articulated.

Meanwhile, the twang is more an Appalachian nasal sound.

In truth, there are a ton of different Southern accents. In my city, you can tell what part of town a speaker is from by the accent.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's a question of one being rhotic vs. non-rhotic, a fancy way of saying using hard rs versus soft or nonexistent ones. Drawls tend to be non-rhotic, where all the hard consonants are softened and the rs are either diminished or nonexistent.

A more rhotic sound is more articulated.

Meanwhile, the twang is more an Appalachian nasal sound.

In truth, there are a ton of different Southern accents. In my city, you can tell what part of town a speaker is from by the accent.
I always find the intracity differences in accents interesting as well. I can tell what part residents are from. Socio-economic class and exposure are also influences as others have suggested. It is fun to guess where news anchors are from as well when their accents slip out...

Old 03-02-2020, 11:46 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
There's twang in Appalachia and drawl in the lower lands, with fast growing cities across the South having more neutralized versions of either.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:36 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Real answers please! I have never heard of drawl and twang. I am trying to learn something here. Gosh!!
Google is your friend ...

A twang is quite distinctive from a drawl. The drawl, which is more common in the Deep South, tends to drop the "R" sound and sounds softer to the ear as syllables are drawn out. The twang, which is more common as you head further north and west, is more faster and sharper to the ear.

https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-dest...uthern-Accents

Old 03-05-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Google is your friend ...

A twang is quite distinctive from a drawl. The drawl, which is more common in the Deep South, tends to drop the "R" sound and sounds softer to the ear as syllables are drawn out. The twang, which is more common as you head further north and west, is more faster and sharper to the ear.

https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-dest...uthern-Accents
Twang: Trae Crowder

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AT73vf64pAI

Scott Jennings:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-33IEg_bL8U

Drawl:

Lindsey Graham:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s8EeaWwg0jg

Benjamin Crump:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VAOMTWnWhgw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City