Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:51 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times

Advertisements

I would guess maybe the difference between Reba McIntire and Dixie carter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
What is the difference between these two dialects of the southern accents? Your responses and post will be greatly appreciated!
The twang is associated with southern hill country, influenced mostly by the Scots-Irish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEKlp_GXVYw
^ Here's a great example of the twang.

The drawl is associated with the coastal plain, which is influenced by English and African speech.

YouTube - 1988 Frank Howard Clemson Recruiting Story
^ Here's a great example of a drawl (former Clemson football coach from Mobile, AL). My grandparents spoke exactly this way.

YouTube - Charlie Rose - Mike Easley
^ Here's a decent example of a drawl (former NC governor from Southport, NC)

For reasons I don't fully understand, the drawl is difficult to pick up and does not spread. The twang is the opposite; if you hear people talk this way you pick it up very easily. Few people these days talk with a strong drawl, even in areas where it originated. I have a feeling that I'm gonna miss it one day.

Last edited by le roi; 03-04-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 03-04-2009, 11:09 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
BTW- Country Music Singers can vary as well. Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash had drawls vs. Hank Williams Sr for example.
Of course they can. My point was really to use the "stereotypical" country music sound as an example that might serve as a broad example of that "twang."

Old 03-15-2009, 06:09 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,102 times
I simply love to hear the 'texas drawl' on a woman...sexiest thing I ever heard! I even like it a Southern Drawl on a woman from the South, but, not as much as that texas drawl...

Just my humble opinion.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
The twang is associated with southern hill country, influenced mostly by the Scots-Irish.

YouTube - Announcing the DVD release of Still Making Moonshine
^ Here's a great example of the twang.

The drawl is associated with the coastal plain, which is influenced by English and African speech.

YouTube - 1988 Frank Howard Clemson Recruiting Story
^ Here's a great example of a drawl (former Clemson football coach from Mobile, AL). My grandparents spoke exactly this way.

YouTube - Charlie Rose - Mike Easley
^ Here's a decent example of a drawl (former NC governor from Southport, NC)

For reasons I don't fully understand, the drawl is difficult to pick up and does not spread. The twang is the opposite; if you hear people talk this way you pick it up very easily. Few people these days talk with a strong drawl, even in areas where it originated. I have a feeling that I'm gonna miss it one day.
So twang is associated with poorer Southerns while drawl is more upper class? Thats what it seems like. My relatives in Oklahoma have the twang. A lot of wealthy older people here in Memphis have the drawl.

I always have to correct non-Southerners when they make assumptions about the Southern accent. Some will say that a Southern accent is hot on a woman, but I have to remind them that there is a classy Southern accent and then there's the one you hear on Jerry Springer all the time. I guess I was comparing the twang & the drawl and I didn't realize it.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
A twang is mostly associated with the western half of the south, with states like Texas, and Oklahoma. The drawl is basically the rest of the south.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
The twang is also called "highland southern" which tends to be in the upper and middle south through Texas. The drawl or "coastal southern" encompasses the coastal plains into the piedmonts from Virginia thru East Texas.

There are variations of both and there is no well defined line between the two types as they both tend to "finger" in and out of some southern areas.

I live in an area where coastal southern is spoken with rhotic speech and any non rhotic is slight. Rhotic is whether you pronounce your "r's" or not. Rhotic is "there" ; non rhotic is "they uh"

Last edited by hdwell; 04-11-2009 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-11-2009, 10:25 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I would guess maybe the difference between Reba McIntire and Dixie carter

that's a great comparison!

Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
A twang is mostly associated with the western half of the south, with states like Texas, and Oklahoma. The drawl is basically the rest of the south.
I would say the "twang" is also common in the "Upper" or "Mountain" South as well, Polo. In fact, it is the "originator" of why such is common in West Texas, since that area is where a great number of original settlers came from. Here is a little excerpt and link:

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Texan . Drawl | PBS

The most basic explanation of aTexas accent is that it’s a Southern accent with a twist,” said Professor Bailey, who has determined that the twang is not only spreading but also changing....The broadly defined “Texas accent” began to form, Bailey explained, when two populations merged here in the mid-nineteenth century. Settlers who migrated from Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi brought with them what would later become the Lower South Dialect (its drawl left an imprint on East Texas), while settlers from Tennessee and Kentucky brought with them the South Midland Dialect (its twang had a greater influence in West Texas).[/

Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I would say the "twang" is also common in the "Upper" or "Mountain" South as well, Polo. In fact, it is the "originator" of why such is common in West Texas, since that area is where a great number of original settlers came from. Here is a little excerpt and link:

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Texan . Drawl | PBS

The most basic explanation of aTexas accent is that it’s a Southern accent with a twist,” said Professor Bailey, who has determined that the twang is not only spreading but also changing....The broadly defined “Texas accent” began to form, Bailey explained, when two populations merged here in the mid-nineteenth century. Settlers who migrated from Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi brought with them what would later become the Lower South Dialect (its drawl left an imprint on East Texas), while settlers from Tennessee and Kentucky brought with them the South Midland Dialect (its twang had a greater influence in West Texas).[/
Intresting. But where did the twist in the texas twang come from? I know the drawl came from the eastern half of the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City