Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Dallas, Atlanta, etc have a slightly southern feel and its nothing wrong with that.

But, they dont have the deep south redneck/hick feel.
Again, the difference isn't in culture, it's in money. Urban areas have more money. Rural areas have less money. There are rednecks in every state. Even in big cities like Chicago and Boston. They're just outnumbered by people who care about being politically correct. For every hick you can find in rural Tennessee, I can find an artist, writer, or philosopher. Culture isn't just in books and museums. Culture is what's all around us. The man who goes hunting deer every fall may be someone with a deep appreciation of the beauty around him, someone who waits for the fall, for the silence in the woods when he can hear a twig breaking beneath a hoof, for the solitude of the early morning and the creeping cold that makes visible his breath. There's culture in the quilts pieced together by the ladies in the church, there's culture in the evening meal you sit down to partake. The "backwards" people are the ones who don't look around themselves to see what their culture offers, and long for the culture elsewhere. Certainly, I love the museums and galleries in New York City, the bookstores, the concerts, the opera and the plays. But it's not "backwards" to come home to Arkansas and to breathe deep of the clean air, to climb the hills and look across the green verdant landscape for miles and miles. It's not "backwards" to listen the lyrics of country music, and hear that poetry any more than it is "backwards" to listen to rap and hear the rhythms of the street. It's not "backwards" to look at a quilt, and to appreciate the colors and composition of it like any piece of modern art, and to know the hours of loving labor that created it. "Backwards" is putting down things you don't take the time to understand.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I wouldnt necesarily call it "backwards" though. It may not be on the same level as CA, but it aint as slow paced like mississippi, or parts of the rural north that i've been to. Yeah theres alot of old people, but that's just the westcoast of florida. Miami isnt exactly what I would call a backwards city. It's pretty progressive in my opinion. i think the whole south florida region is pretty progressive. I mean Florida was a blue state lol, people often forget that. And it's the fourth largest cyberstate.
Florida's a purple state.... not blue. Sure it went for Obama this time but not by much and passed a constitutional amendment gay marriage AND civil union ban by over 60% of the vote in 66 of 67 counties and Florida was red the election before and 537 votes the election before that. Republican governor, Republican House and Republican Senate...... I would not call Florida a blue state.

And as you said earlier.... one metro does not make a state. You have a lot of seniors on the west coast, the South in N Florida and the interior peninsula..... and the Tampa and Orlando metros are a 50/50 split.... not either totally backwards or totally progressive...... the only "progressive" areas are Broward/Palm Beach and parts of Dade and the Keys.....

Though you are correct that Florida isn't Mississippi...... it also isn't California......

Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Again, the difference isn't in culture, it's in money. Urban areas have more money. Rural areas have less money. There are rednecks in every state. Even in big cities like Chicago and Boston. They're just outnumbered by people who care about being politically correct. For every hick you can find in rural Tennessee, I can find an artist, writer, or philosopher. Culture isn't just in books and museums. Culture is what's all around us. The man who goes hunting deer every fall may be someone with a deep appreciation of the beauty around him, someone who waits for the fall, for the silence in the woods when he can hear a twig breaking beneath a hoof, for the solitude of the early morning and the creeping cold that makes visible his breath. There's culture in the quilts pieced together by the ladies in the church, there's culture in the evening meal you sit down to partake. The "backwards" people are the ones who don't look around themselves to see what their culture offers, and long for the culture elsewhere. Certainly, I love the museums and galleries in New York City, the bookstores, the concerts, the opera and the plays. But it's not "backwards" to come home to Arkansas and to breathe deep of the clean air, to climb the hills and look across the green verdant landscape for miles and miles. It's not "backwards" to listen the lyrics of country music, and hear that poetry any more than it is "backwards" to listen to rap and hear the rhythms of the street. It's not "backwards" to look at a quilt, and to appreciate the colors and composition of it like any piece of modern art, and to know the hours of loving labor that created it. "Backwards" is putting down things you don't take the time to understand.
YA, actually it is! That's the definition of "backwards"! Looking at a "quilt" and "appreciating the colors"?... What are you, some kind of Mary?........

Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,928,606 times
Quote:
Beautiful post. Some people don't seem to be able to understand that you can find beauty and culture in the most simple things in the most unexpected places. If you're not living like a sardine in a high rise apartment building in the middle of the most populated city, you're not really living. Au Contraire.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:10 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
What a beautiful, poetic post!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
IMO, Massachusetts is by far the most progressive state in the country.
HA It still looks like the 1800s.

Last edited by nomore07; 03-16-2009 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,698 times
Quote:
1. IMO, the difference is in culture and money. The people have a different mentality of life in Charleston, SC than in Dallas, TX. The reason for this is because the metro area of Dallas is 6.5 M people and it grew by 19% from 2000 to 2007.

Do you think that the people coming to Dallas were from rural Texas? I think not. They were coming from the Northeast, Miami, Atanta, Cali, all over the west coast, etc.

That is why small towns in the south still have the redneck feel is because there is not a lot of white collar jobs, which in return keeps the population low. Also, if you have not noticed rednecks do not like big cities..... they want to be in rural areas. So, if there were rednecks in Dallas then I can guarantee you when they saw the population boom that most of them went to a rural area farther from Dallas.

2. In the rural south (towns and states).... I have seen people that speak like Larry The Cable, hunt, go muddin, watch nascar, every activity that a redneck does, but they have a 4 yr college degree, own a average house and are making a decent living

Just because someone has a college degree, makes a decent living and owns a house it doesnt disqualify them from being a redneck.

EX) I knew a friend of my sisters that had every indication of being a redneck..... trust me when I say everything. I was having a convo with him and I found out the guy is a pharmacist. So just because you have a little bit of money and a college degree it doesnt disqualify you from being a redneck

Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
Quote:
1. IMO, the difference is in culture and money. The people have a different mentality of life in Charleston, SC than in Dallas, TX. The reason for this is because the metro area of Dallas is 6.5 M people and it grew by 19% from 2000 to 2007.

Do you think that the people coming to Dallas were from rural Texas? I think not. They were coming from the Northeast, Miami, Atanta, Cali, all over the west coast, etc.

That is why small towns in the south still have the redneck feel is because there is not a lot of white collar jobs, which in return keeps the population low. Also, if you have not noticed rednecks do not like big cities..... they want to be in rural areas. So, if there were rednecks in Dallas then I can guarantee you when they saw the population boom that most of them went to a rural area farther from Dallas.

2. In the rural south (towns and states).... I have seen people that speak like Larry The Cable, hunt, go muddin, watch nascar, every activity that a redneck does, but they have a 4 yr college degree, own a average house and are making a decent living

Just because someone has a college degree, makes a decent living and owns a house it doesnt disqualify them from being a redneck.

EX) I knew a friend of my sisters that had every indication of being a redneck..... trust me when I say everything. I was having a convo with him and I found out the guy is a pharmacist. So just because you have a little bit of money and a college degree it doesnt disqualify you from being a redneck
Wow. Where to begin...?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:

Exactly what are these symptoms or requirements of being a redneck????

Old 03-16-2009, 10:32 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,928,606 times
Quote:

What are your sources that you speak with such authority. I know you're specifically talking about the south, but it's offensive to anyone. So, anyone who lives in a small town (even with a college degree) would be a redneck? No one who lives in a city (such as Dallas) would qualify to be a redneck? Just because a city is large, doesn't mean that everyone there possesses the height of sophistication. Just as an example, in a very small town in Wisconsin a man lived for a good part of his life (by choice). His name was Frank Lloyd Wright. Would he be a redneck without any culture?
Where did Henry David Thoreau do much of his writing? The list of accomplished people living in small cities and towns is endless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City