Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city to shop?
Los Angelas 45 70.31%
Houston 4 6.25%
Dallas 9 14.06%
Miami 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:10 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Now your just putting words in my mouth. Chicago is not KNOWN for it's shopping scene, people don't get rich and the first place they think of is the shopping districts in Chicago. I'm sure Chicago has a great shoppng scene, but for you to assume that everyone knows about it because you've visited and researched the city is selfish on your part. Chicago is not in the spotlight as much as NYC and LA.
Well no city is in the spotlight like those two cities. But I think one would have better knowledge of anything if you research and visit as opposed to neither. Chicago is one of the top cities in the US for shopping. Let's leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 12:32 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,766,661 times
We should close this thread clearly I was way out my leauge.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Good. I hope they never get them. Just adds to the fact that Houston doesn't have to be pretentious to showcase their city. Also the fact that they are malls anyway. I do think Houston still has the potential. The income is there.
Right... Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco are only reputable because of their "pretentious" upscale shopping. It's the "pretentiousness" that they use to showcase their city... that's why people come. Boston doesn't have a butt-load of history and urban charm or anything at all like that. It's just a giant shopping mall. Same with Chicago and SF... just big, partially residential shopping malls. [/sarcasm]

In reality, Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco are very cosmopolitan cities with a multitude of all things that make a city, "cosmopolitan." Upscale shopping is one of those things, but so are working class neighborhoods and mid-scale shopping, incredible history and educational institutions, excellent cultural attractions (i.e. theater, sports, dining, etc), diversity, etc. While these places may have some of the better established shopping districts and centers in the nation, shopping is hardly what these places are known for. It's a combination of a multitude of things (including shopping) that make these cities the cosmopolitan destinations that they are.

Also, the primary upscale retail districts in those cities (Bos, Chi, SF) are not malls at all. The "malls" in these cities tend to be secondary to primary shopping districts and are also very integrated in the urban fabric meaning that they are usually multi-level, and build into the base of office and mixed/use structures. Certainly no sprawling parking lots. In Boston (not sure about Chi or SF), they have subway stations built in.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:55 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,683,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Right... Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco are only reputable because of their "pretentious" upscale shopping. It's the "pretentiousness" that they use to showcase their city... that's why people come. Also, the primary upscale retail districts in those cities (Bos, Chi, SF) are not malls at all. The "malls" in these cities tend to be secondary to primary shopping districts and are also very integrated in the urban fabric meaning that they are usually multi-level, and build into the base of office and mixed/use structures. Certainly no sprawling parking lots. In Boston (not sure about Chi or SF), they have subway stations built in.
You are right..this is SF

And the subway is across the street..

Old 03-22-2009, 11:24 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Right... Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco are only reputable because of their "pretentious" upscale shopping. It's the "pretentiousness" that they use to showcase their city... that's why people come. Boston doesn't have a butt-load of history and urban charm or anything at all like that. It's just a giant shopping mall. Same with Chicago and SF... just big, partially residential shopping malls. [/sarcasm]

In reality, Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco are very cosmopolitan cities with a multitude of all things that make a city, "cosmopolitan." Upscale shopping is one of those things, but so are working class neighborhoods and mid-scale shopping, incredible history and educational institutions, excellent cultural attractions (i.e. theater, sports, dining, etc), diversity, etc. While these places may have some of the better established shopping districts and centers in the nation, shopping is hardly what these places are known for. It's a combination of a multitude of things (including shopping) that make these cities the cosmopolitan destinations that they are.

Also, the primary upscale retail districts in those cities (Bos, Chi, SF) are not malls at all. The "malls" in these cities tend to be secondary to primary shopping districts and are also very integrated in the urban fabric meaning that they are usually multi-level, and build into the base of office and mixed/use structures. Certainly no sprawling parking lots. In Boston (not sure about Chi or SF), they have subway stations built in.
You could say the same for cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. These cities aren't known for shopping, but they have great shopping.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You could say the same for cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. These cities aren't known for shopping, but they have great shopping.
And that is exactly why I said what I said because I knew somebody would throw that back in my face. Yes, I was being sarcastic with my post as well but I didn't show it. But I knew the uppity comments about how cosmopolitan those cities are was going to come.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
And that is exactly why I said what I said because I knew somebody would throw that back in my face. Yes, I was being sarcastic with my post as well but I didn't show it. But I knew the uppity comments about how cosmopolitan those cities are was going to come.
No, I understood what you were saying, but the shopping scene in Chicago isn't known as much as LA and NYC. I bet it does have a great shopping scene, but not many people know much about it because you don't hear a lot about it. Hell it probably rivals LA and MIA, but I wouldn't know since I've never been there.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
You are right..this is SF

And the subway is across the street..
Wow SF is a BEAST. What part of SF is that?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:05 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Well no city is in the spotlight like those two cities. But I think one would have better knowledge of anything if you research and visit as opposed to neither. Chicago is one of the top cities in the US for shopping. Let's leave it at that.
No. It's not. I know a lot of Chicagoans, especially women who fly to New York for shopping. Chicago is especially lacking in high-end boutique store and designer apparel.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Nyc is no doubt but none on the list compare to LA.
Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City