Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city to shop?
Los Angelas 45 70.31%
Houston 4 6.25%
Dallas 9 14.06%
Miami 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:18 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I heard the reason for this is because NYC recieves a ridiculous amount of fashionable clothes/shoes/acessories, so they recieve so much they sell stuff for much cheaper on the streets. It is really not something that is too crazy to believe. I got a friend who goes there usually every summer and gets tons of stuff.

Let me guess, Canal Street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well still, you need to travel than. Chicago is very much known as a city for it's shopping. The home of one of the most popular shopping streets in the nation and home to a few department stores.
As someone mentioned it is not known to be a shopiing center of the nation. Nobody flies to Chicago for shopping and people ruotinely fly to New York or LA just for this. And what department stores are exatcly headquartered in Chicago? Sears? Target? Very unique.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Let me guess, Canal Street?
Well there are these stores that i go to in midtown that sell high end apparel for cheap and they are authentic. I think cause he gets them direct from the factory or something but its. This store in particular is sort of secluded like if you were just walking by you most likely wouldnt see it. or if you would just shop at a store that sells High end stuff and has the best sales for it like Century 21 or the Macys on 34th Street.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,636 times
L.A., Celebrities live and shop here for a reason...

Old 03-25-2009, 08:04 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
As someone mentioned it is not known to be a shopiing center of the nation. Nobody flies to Chicago for shopping and people ruotinely fly to New York or LA just for this. And what department stores are exatcly headquartered in Chicago? Sears? Target? Very unique.
Carson Pirie Scott and Sears in the 'burbs. Target is in Minneapolis, though it wouldn't be a bad idea to move to Chicago.

Rodeo Drive may be nice but Michigan Avenue is geared to the practical shopper, usually the affluent middle class demographic. If you must have the Rodeo Drive experience in Chicago, check out Oak Street.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Carson Pirie Scott and Sears in the 'burbs. Target is in Minneapolis, though it wouldn't be a bad idea to move to Chicago.

Rodeo Drive may be nice but Michigan Avenue is geared to the practical shopper, usually the affluent middle class demographic. If you must have the Rodeo Drive experience in Chicago, check out Oak Street.
Like in Rush and Oak? Nah. It's not that easy, even though there are more and more stores opeining in Chicago it is still far behind LA and NY. One of the reason is that the city does not have a real fashion business, there are no fashion magazines, shows or acclaimed designers located in Chicago. There is simply no market for that in this town.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Nyc is no doubt but none on the list compare to LA.

I disagree wholeheartedly. As someone who used to live in Glendale, LA is nice, but nothing compares to NYC shopping. End of story. LA is a close second.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Agree.

You live in NY and you say that LA is better. For the first time ever, Dementor I am questioning you. Maybe you never been to L.A. L.A. is not better for fashion than NY. Heck, NY is fashion capitol of the world. I usually agree with you Dementor but not this time. I think you've lost your mind. Still cool with you though.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
You live in NY and you say that LA is better. For the first time ever, Dementor I am questioning you. Maybe you never been to L.A. L.A. is not better for fashion than NY. Heck, NY is fashion capitol of the world. I usually agree with you Dementor but not this time. I think you've lost your mind. Still cool with you though.
No Slickrick. I do not claim LA is better;. For years the best labels bared Paris-London-New York designation, for years most fashion magazines and shows were located in New York however this list does not include New York. New York is in its own league.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
No Slickrick. I do not claim LA is better;. For years the best labels bared Paris-London-New York designation, for years most fashion magazines and shows were located in New York however this list does not include New York. New York is in its own league.

I thought you were agreeing with someone who said NY was nice but nothing was as good as LA. I would go back and check your statement or his for that matter. No biggy anyway. Crushing any Chicagoins tonight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City