Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most dangerous neighborhood to walk in the US?
South Bronx ( yes more than one neighborhood) 44 8.21%
Highland Park ( Detroit) 55 10.26%
Compton ( Los Angeles) 67 12.50%
zone 3 (Atlanta) 32 5.97%
Chicago Southside 66 12.31%
Inner Wash DC ( sorry this isn't precise) 20 3.73%
North Philadelphia 62 11.57%
Liberty City Miami 26 4.85%
East St Louis , Ill 81 15.11%
OTHER 83 15.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:57 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
It is mind boggling that 24 people think compton is the most dangerous place in the country for me its the safest on the list considering I used to live there.
Didn't you say in a post a while back that you had been shot in Compton? And that you hadn't been shot doing deals in NY? If not, then my bad, but I could've sworn I'd read a post from you that said that. And if it was you, then wouldn't you consider it pretty dangerous? I mean folks should be choosing a particular hood there (like Kelly Park or Southside or something) if they're going to vote for a "neighborhood," but I don't see how it could be mind boggling that more people would consider it the most dangerous when statistically it has been the most dangerous city in the US plenty of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:59 AM

322 posts, read 800,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Didn't you say in a post a while back that you had been shot in Compton? If not, then my bad, but I could've sworn I'd read a post from you that said that. And if it was you, then wouldn't you consider it pretty dangerous?

Lol..."Got em"

Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 PM

12 posts, read 32,915 times
Quote:
didn't you say in a post a while back that you had been shot in compton? And that you hadn't been shot doing deals in ny? If not, then my bad, but i could've sworn i'd read a post from you that said that. And if it was you, then wouldn't you consider it pretty dangerous? I mean folks should be choosing a particular hood there (like kelly park or southside or something) if they're going to vote for a "neighborhood," but i don't see how it could be mind boggling that more people would consider it the most dangerous when statistically it has been the most dangerous city in the us plenty of times.

homie you can get shot in the safes city in america, but if you do , are you going to run around saying i got shto so this city is dangerous, your a nobody and just want attention .. Get a life

Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM

163 posts, read 493,715 times
Quote:
It is mind boggling that 24 people think compton is the most dangerous place in the country for me its the safest on the list considering I used to live there.
where in Compton ?

Old 05-18-2009, 05:53 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,215 times
Quote:
Didn't you say in a post a while back that you had been shot in Compton? And that you hadn't been shot doing deals in NY? If not, then my bad, but I could've sworn I'd read a post from you that said that. And if it was you, then wouldn't you consider it pretty dangerous? I mean folks should be choosing a particular hood there (like Kelly Park or Southside or something) if they're going to vote for a "neighborhood," but I don't see how it could be mind boggling that more people would consider it the most dangerous when statistically it has been the most dangerous city in the US plenty of times.

Shot was a code word me and my friends used to refer to a set up or getting jumped during a deal I got "shot" 3 seperate occasion which lead me to leave that lifestyle.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9TheCityOfAngeles9 View Post
where in Compton ?

I forget because it was so long ago but I belive it was w raymond st.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHAITIAN17 View Post
homie you can get shot in the safes city in america, but if you do , are you going to run around saying i got shto so this city is dangerous, your a nobody and just want attention .. Get a life
Great, another NYer with paper-thin skin. Look, before you go on another personal attack for no reason at all, try and actually GET what I was saying. Dude who posted had found it "mind boggling" that more people had voted for Compton than any other place. I questioned what was so mind-boggling when it ranks among the top in terms of DANGER (are you getting this?) on annual lists regularly, and I was double-checking b/c he himself had been "shot" there. Twisting my words into saying that if someone got shot in the safest spot in the US and then started calling that place dangerous is not a good reason to come at me foul like you did. SMH.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Shot was a code word me and my friends used to refer to a set up or getting jumped during a deal I got "shot" 3 seperate occasion which lead me to leave that lifestyle.
Got it. I'm used to someone calling that type of situation "getting popped."

All I remembered was reading that, and I don't remember you making it clear that "shot" meant something other than taking a bullet. I did appreciate the post you'd written that on though, and I think its great you left that lifestyle.

Either way though, why does it surprise you that so many people actually view Compton that way? I'm sure at least half the people voting on these polls has probably never been to most of the hoods/cities that are up for consideration, and Compton's rep is pretty huge. I personally think several places are worse, like East St. Louis, Detroit, etc. (I haven't been to these places either, I'm just responding to the OP based on what I've read/heard), but Compton should definitely be up there. It might not be the most run down, by any means, but its w/o a doubt one of the most dangerous with the gang and race wars they've had going on there for decades.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 PM

I find it strange because Compton is a place where if you knew nothing about its history you would think its a good ol suburb by its looks granted it is dangerous its basically a gangland where its gang vs gang not people vs people plus it gives you a vibe where if your not a gang member you can relax. So my point is its the most dangerous place in america......if your a gang member, its a dangerous place if your a average joe but not more dangerous than places on the list such as The South Bronx and Highland Park.....Matter of fact I think its the safest place on the list.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I find it strange because Compton is a place where if you knew nothing about its history you would think its a good ol suburb by its looks granted it is dangerous its basically a gangland where its gang vs gang not people vs people plus it gives you a vibe where if your not a gang member you can relax. So my point is its the most dangerous place in america......if your a gang member, its a dangerous place if your a average joe but not more dangerous than places on the list such as The South Bronx and Highland Park.....Matter of fact I think its the safest place on the list.
Fair enough, I respect your opinion. At least yours comes from experience and not from either being a homer or a hater.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but considering the way you just described it I'm thinking maybe Compton has a different dynamic than a lot or at least some of those other super-dangerous places/hoods. It seems like for a Compton resident the place is 100x more dangerous than it is for someone just passing through.

I may be totally wrong in saying this, but it seems to me that that is the case. I've never been there myself, but I've had a few friends that lived there in the past, and they always stressed how hard it was to completely avoid the gang life there and survive, whether it be by joining a gang, being affiliated with one (just by living in the hood) or by being a bystander to their activity. I've always been told how hostile it is for people living there, and that the ones that try to stay on the sidelines and avoid trouble would get whooped or worse for not riding with their hood.

But I could see how it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad for someone to just pass through, especially if they weren't associating with any gangsters. Whereas in some of the other places listed, I imagine there is a lot more random crime. So I think I get your point. I hope I do anyway haha.

Last edited by jman650; 05-18-2009 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City