Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most dangerous neighborhood to walk in the US?
South Bronx ( yes more than one neighborhood) 44 8.21%
Highland Park ( Detroit) 55 10.26%
Compton ( Los Angeles) 67 12.50%
zone 3 (Atlanta) 32 5.97%
Chicago Southside 66 12.31%
Inner Wash DC ( sorry this isn't precise) 20 3.73%
North Philadelphia 62 11.57%
Liberty City Miami 26 4.85%
East St Louis , Ill 81 15.11%
OTHER 83 15.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 AM

89 posts, read 449,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The south Bronx is huge. It consists of many neighborhoods. But the Morrisania neighborhood in 2008 had a murder rate of 23 per 100,000. So not quite the 11 you are talking about.

However, Hunts Point in the south Bronx had rates:

Rape: 36 per 100,000
Robberies: 669 per 100,000
Felony Assaults: 839 per 100,000.

The neighborhood is tiny and is mostly industrial. So all the crime is packed in the few tenement blocks there. Also half the population lives in poverty. I'd put Hunts Point up against anything.

Try living there.
put it up against hunter's point in SF, E. saint louis (esp. sauget), st. clair-superior and kinsman (E.S.C.), hayden (EC), N. richmond (this area is bad!!), N.E. detroit, opa-locka, bank head atl. etc, and hunt's point in the south BX wouldn't be looking so hood no more. i'm not saying it's not, but all the other areas are definately on the same level, some even higher.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 02:27 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
You all are mentioning neighborhood murder rates around 15-30/per 100k, there are large cities with murder rates worse than that.

Across the country there are many neighborhoods with murder rates 80/per100k+.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 PM

210 posts, read 845,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownplayer View Post
put it up against hunter's point in SF, E. saint louis (esp. sauget), st. clair-superior and kinsman (E.S.C.), hayden (EC), N. richmond (this area is bad!!), N.E. detroit, opa-locka, bank head atl. etc, and hunt's point in the south BX wouldn't be looking so hood no more. i'm not saying it's not, but all the other areas are definately on the same level, some even higher.
You refering to North Richmond California I assume?? Where do you live?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Compton is mostly known because of MTV.
If it wasn't for MTV it wouldn't be mentioned as much.
Hmmm. So MTV is the reason Compton had one of the highest muder rates in the mid 90's?? Intresting.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
There are alot of illegal immigrant killings that dont get counted and MUCH more missing people on the south BX plus all the other stats are higher and look at compton its a suburb.
That's what makes it worse, the fact that it's a SUBURB of LA and NOT in the inner-city, and YET it STILL has that high of a murder rate.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownplayer View Post
I agree, Opa Locka is just as bad as ANY place up north.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:45 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's what makes it worse, the fact that it's a SUBURB of LA and NOT in the inner-city, and YET it STILL has that high of a murder rate.
How does that make it worse? Its not some far out area. It touches South Central, LA. I don't know what other part of the city is much worse than South Central.

Also there are plenty of areas that aren't in big cities, but touch them and are just as bad. East St Louis, IL next to St Louis,MO, Gary, IN next to Chicago, IL, PG County, MD next to DC, and plenty more.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Most of those neighborhoods in NY with those high rates are BIG BIG neigborhoods, with MANY, MANY people, some of them are as big as fully grown municipalities or cities, so there murder rate is gonna be high do to SO many people live there. Try living in small neighborhhods like Liberty City and Little Haiti in Miami or Overtown with HIGH murder rates. Im not trying to knock NYC, I wouldnt talk trash to anyone in the south Bronx, but im just saying.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
How does that make it worse? Its not some far out area. It touches South Central, LA. I don't know what other part of the city is much worse than South Central.

Also there are plenty of areas that aren't in big cities, but touch them and are just as bad. East St Louis, IL next to St Louis,MO, Gary, IN next to Chicago, IL, PG County, MD next to DC, and plenty more.
Im never said those places werent bad, but it sounded like the dude was trying to play the "suburb" card in judging how bad compton REALLY is. Maybe he wasnt, maybe I was wrong.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:53 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post

I like to add Wilkinsburg next to Pittsburgh, Camden next to Philadelphia and Newark -Irvington NJ to this notorious list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City