Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 AM

321 posts, read 720,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa luvs mojitos View Post
Well by virtue of all the local brainwashing i'm often subjected to, I am supposed to say Chicago.
But I cant say that because there's too much copycatting here with the city planning, restaurants, architecture, parks......

I think the truly unique places in Ameirca are:
new orleans
san francisco
key west
new york

If you put a small city/like Key West on the list, we'll end up with a long list. It's def unique but this thread took a direction toward big cities. There are many unique places around the size of Key West... Perhaps we should split the thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 AM

[quote=jonjj;11825083]Unique is a very subjective term depending on your life experiences. Most "unique" cities to me are not found in the US. Places like Quito, Ecuador or Istanbul, Turkey are unique to me. Even Quebec City in Canada is more unique to me than most of the US.
quote]

Obviously foreign cities are going to feel unique to you... You're American. And Im sure the opposite applies.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
[quote=cmo1984;11859247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Unique is a very subjective term depending on your life experiences. Most "unique" cities to me are not found in the US. Places like Quito, Ecuador or Istanbul, Turkey are unique to me. Even Quebec City in Canada is more unique to me than most of the US.
quote]

Obviously foreign cities are going to feel unique to you... You're American. And Im sure the opposite applies.
That's a good point although not what I meant when I wrote it. I particularly mentioned those two over let's say London or Paris because I really found them to be unique in an international sense. I also find some American cities to be unique in an international sense. I love many cities including my hometown but they may not necessarily be unique. But, it's a subjective term so what I may find unique, another may not.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:27 PM

[quote=jonjj;11876572]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post

That's a good point although not what I meant when I wrote it. I particularly mentioned those two over let's say London or Paris because I really found them to be unique in an international sense. I also find some American cities to be unique in an international sense. I love many cities including my hometown but they may not necessarily be unique. But, it's a subjective term so what I may find unique, another may not.

ok. I would tend to agree with you. I thought you were just listing those as (random) examples of foriegn cities- but those places are quite unique.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 AM

8 posts, read 22,017 times
New Orleans without a doubt.

Food: Cajun, Creole, French, Italian, American cuisine that combines more than one type on most occasions.
Music: Zydeco, Jazz, Southern Gospel, and Hip Hop have all been heavily influenced by New Orleans.
Geography: Situated below sea level, totoally surrounded by swamps, major port on the Mississippi River.
Architecture: French quarter Spanish influence where buildings are over 200 years old, 19th century Victorian Manisons of St. Charles Avenue and Garden District, Uptown and 9th ward Shotgun houses that cannot be found anywhere else in country, not to mention the historic plantations that surround the city.
Experiences very unique to the city: The voodoo culture, Gardi gras, Streetcars, the cajun culture where generations of people have been speaking French as a first language in a major American city, Being a predominantly Catholic city in in the Deep South Bible Belt.
Culture: Hatian, French, Spanish, African, American, all with particular dialects and accents unique to New Orleans and South Louisiana

Just the overall ambiance and experience of the city is unlike any place I have ever been, and I have been to every city listed in this poll.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 PM

31 posts, read 62,604 times
San Francisco, New Orleans, Las Vegas, New York City

Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
The most unique city meaning a city that cannot be replicated;

1. New Orleans
2. Miami
3. NYC
4. Seattle
5. Las Vegas

^ Each of those cities are unique in their own way, they cannot be replicated, and they display their own kind of culture and have amenities that no other city can have.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
San Juan, Puerto Rico
NO
Charlston, SC
Miami
Richmond, VA
Boston
NYC
Philly

IMO. In that order

Old 04-29-2010, 12:50 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Unique is something that is not emulated else where. New York, New Oreleans, Miami. I don't think SF is unique at all. Its like Seattle but with more ghetto people and bums and less clean air, poorer schools, and worse traffic. Portland is way more unique by light years, have you people seen how that city has turned around its public transit? Simply amazing. You want unique out west, go there.
Was that a very poor attempt at a Joke....FOMC..Falling Out Of My Chair......

Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Detroit, Honolulu, Phoenix, San Juan (PR)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City