Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,555 times

Advertisements

Fog is a result of temperature incosistancies between bodies of land, air and water, the sun plays a role due to the heat it provides, at any given season, but its light really has no clout on the matter. You are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 01:21 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,602,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Having tourists does not make a city unique. LA gets millions of tourists and coastal la looks exactly like coastal OC and SD, And Inland LA no different than PHX or Sacto.

You find me a city that was able to redevelope its central grid and improve its public transit on the scale that portland has, and I will concede that portland is not unique..until then...

SF excells at drawing tourists because city officials long ago realized that trying to lure any type of industry or business would result in total failure. So they wisely pumped money into their tourism, because that is the only thing pulling in relevant revenue in SF. Tourists and the money they spend. All the big money is in Silicon valley, and tourists do not go there, nor (outside of the niche industry) is the place unique. The same freeway haze in Silicon valley can be seen more clearly with more grandure in LA.

Statistically, there are 25 cities that have higher percentages of public transit usage than Portland. Yes, it has improved it's transit. That doesn't mean it's great or that people actually use it! Portland's claim to fame is that it is now the "in" place for white folks to go. Other than that, there is nothing unique about it.
It's actually silly to even think about comparing Portland to San Francisco's worldwide recognition.

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Finally, this list sums up Portland's uniqueness in terms of mass transit:

Metro systems by annual passenger rides: Information from Answers.com

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 06:57 AM..

Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM

Yea and there would be about 150 cities with better transit use than portland if they had not done what they did. People do use it and it is great, I've seen it. Just because you have not does not change anything. So it has less riders than Tokyo, NYC, and Chicago, I mean really what did you expect? The metro area is the size as sacramento. Portland is trendy because the a good deal of city is unrecognizable compared to even the mid to latter 90's. And it has changed for the better.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Yea and there would be about 150 cities with better transit use than portland if they had not done what they did. People do use it and it is great, I've seen it. Just because you have not does not change anything. So it has less riders than Tokyo, NYC, and Chicago, I mean really what did you expect? The metro area is the size as sacramento. Portland is trendy because the a good deal of city is unrecognizable compared to even the mid to latter 90's. And it has changed for the better.

Dude, read the stats carefully. The first two American ones are not about total ridership but rather, percentage of folks who ride. It doesn't matter how large a city is to have a great percentage (Jersey City).

Also, don't assume things about people. It makes your argument weak. I've been to Portland. In fact, lived in Oregon and have family there.

"Trendy" is not unique.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Uh "dude", if you lived in Oregon you would know portlands public transit was virtually non existant at one point. The fact that its public transit system was pretty much completely reinvented, with many green technologies, and has now achieved a ridership comparable to Oakland (right across the bay from sf) is EXTREMELY impressive. ANYONE whos seen both portlands would know that. Hence why there is so much hype. They have more people riding transit than in LA, at one point Portlands transit was WORSE than LA. You have to give a place time. How long have all those cities at the top of the list been at at the public transit game? Some 50 others 100 years.

The changes in Portlands transit is nothing short of phenominal. You are confusing trendy with trend setting. No other city in the united states has attempted to do what portland has been doing.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Uh "dude", if you lived in Oregon you would know portlands public transit was virtually non existant at one point. The fact that its public transit system was pretty much completely reinvented, with many green technologies, and has now achieved a ridership comparable to Oakland (right across the bay from sf) is EXTREMELY impressive. ANYONE whos seen both portlands would know that. Hence why there is so much hype. They have more people riding transit than in LA, at one point Portlands transit was WORSE than LA. You have to give a place time. How long have all those cities at the top of the list been at at the public transit game? Some 50 others 100 years.

The changes in Portlands transit is nothing short of phenominal. You are confusing trendy with trend setting. No other city in the united states has attempted to do what portland has been doing.

My only suggestion: travel a bit.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:30 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
New Orleans is the most unique city in the country.

/thread.
yep

Old 11-30-2009, 05:21 PM

571 posts, read 715,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I agree with those 4. I would take DC out
LOL! What other city in the country, or in the world, has anything like the Smithsonian? Where else can you see the Washington Monument, Lincoln and Jefferson memorials, White House, and the Capitol, the WWII Memorial, FDR Memorial, Vietnam War Wall? Did I miss where those sites are duplicated? What other city in the U.S. has as many wide avenues, both on a grid and at angles, and as many park-enclosed traffic circles? How many other federal government cities are in the U.S.? What other cities (or their surrounding areas) have sites like Arlington Cemetary and the Pentagon, Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown and Adams Morgan?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,633,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
LOL! What other city in the country, or in the world, has anything like the Smithsonian? Where else can you see the Washington Monument, Lincoln and Jefferson memorials, White House, and the Capitol, the WWII Memorial, FDR Memorial, Vietnam War Wall? Did I miss where those sites are duplicated? What other city in the U.S. has as many wide avenues, both on a grid and at angles, and as many park-enclosed traffic circles? How many other federal government cities are in the U.S.? What other cities (or their surrounding areas) have sites like Arlington Cemetary and the Pentagon, Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown and Adams Morgan?
Apparently, NYC1DAY doesn't appreciate the uniqueness of American History.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM

53 posts, read 101,448 times
Well by virtue of all the local brainwashing i'm often subjected to, I am supposed to say Chicago.
But I cant say that because there's too much copycatting here with the city planning, restaurants, architecture, parks......

I think the truly unique places in Ameirca are:
new orleans
san francisco
key west
new york
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City