Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 12:31 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,747 times

Advertisements

New Orleans
Miami
Seattle
Minneapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 AM

27 posts, read 102,647 times
Pittsburgh is the most unique as far as architecture goes. I don't care what anyone says, the architecture of Pitt cannot be compared with ANY other city.

NYC gets the cake for most overall unique (Size, diversity, landmarks, people, etc)

HOW can people say LA is unique? Everything about it just screams "Typical big city"
Same with San Francisco, and most Calli cities. Seattle, I can see. The Space Needle makes it stand out.
And come on, we gotta give Cleveland a little something, it's the only 3-building city in the world. :P

Old 10-17-2009, 09:43 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Pittsburgh is an incredible city with stunning architecture, but beyond comparison with any city on Earth? i don't know about that one

How is LA just a generic big city? There are too many things unique about it to say such a thing!!

San Francisco is extremely Unique to the US, and many many other Californian cities

Cleveland has 3 buildings in the entire city, well i don't know where to start with that one

Old 10-17-2009, 08:22 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
The original Four Unique Cities, according to Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain were:

Boston
New Orleans
San Antonio
San Francisco

IMO, the list still stands.

Exactly!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Um, Boston is just like Philadelphia and NYC. NYC is unique because it's the biggest of its kind in the country.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAirTraffic View Post
Pittsburgh is the most unique as far as architecture goes. I don't care what anyone says, the architecture of Pitt cannot be compared with ANY other city.

NYC gets the cake for most overall unique (Size, diversity, landmarks, people, etc)

HOW can people say LA is unique? Everything about it just screams "Typical big city"
Same with San Francisco, and most Calli cities. Seattle, I can see. The Space Needle makes it stand out.
And come on, we gotta give Cleveland a little something, it's the only 3-building city in the world. :P
Calli huh? Didnt realize California was spelled with two L's. So the Space needle stands out but the Golden Gate Bridge doesn't?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Um, Boston is just like Philadelphia and NYC. NYC is unique because it's the biggest of its kind in the country.
Um, no it isn't.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Unique is a very large "qualifier", as far as adjectives go.

What this means is that by that word alone, Detroit and NYC are both radically and equally unique and belong on the same list.

There are only a handful of "real" cities in the United States: NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and San Francisco. That order was chosen in my mind simply by going right to left.

I'd say San Francisco is the most "unique" because of those qualities I ascribe to that word. It's so small it can't offer the things other cities can. You realize the true value of space when you can't have parkland or front lawns. The most basic things any "city" offers really come at a premium in SF due to the spacial constraints.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:33 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Um, no it isn't.

I was in Boston almost every weekend for about 3 years, and I've lived in NYC. They're not much different.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:43 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I was in Boston almost every weekend for about 3 years, and I've lived in NYC. They're not much different.
Tell that to a Bostonian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City