Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Having only been to Pittsburgh on a layover, I have heard it compared to Seattle before, in terms of the hills, cloudy weather and the greenery. From your previous posts, it seems you do not share the same opinion, so I assume it wouldn't be very accurate to compare the two? Obviously the built environment is different with the older housing stock and architecture styles.

No, geographically they're relatively similar. Portland, too. And San Francisco. Nine times out of ten I'd get laughed off the forum (or worse) for saying that, but living in Seattle and SF and moving back east, Pittsburgh was practically my only option. I got addicted to hills somewhere along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
They really couldn't be more different.

Seattle is in the midst of their glory days as speak - Pittsburgh, well they have seen theirs.

The housing stock in Seattle is different too, you won't see too many rows, and the ones you do see are relatively new.

Seattle never declined the way Pittsburgh has, so there are no areas of abandonment, no slums really to speak of, and a very virbrant, clean and thriving downtown that remains the entire regions retail hub exists. Again, very different from Pittsburgh. The residents of Seattle are not self-hating, either.

Not really a fair comparison.
He was talking about geography. Seattle did have hard times in the 70s, and I think part of the 60s too, back when Boeing made them a one industry town, but they're obviously still ascendant being so young. I'm pretty sure the entire world is aware of that by now.

The thing is, these things go in cycles. Cities rise and fall and shrink and grow and change over time. This country is still a baby by world standards. In twenty years (or less), Seattle could end up a shell of its former self. I hope it doesn't, but anything's possible. What's more likely is that a new, I'd say improved, Pittsburgh will have clawed its way back from the brink as almost a new city as opposed to a shell of its former self. Or the whole country could collapse and we'll go all Thunderdome. Who knows?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:21 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
He was talking about geography. Seattle did have hard times in the 70s, and I think part of the 60s too, back when Boeing made them a one industry town, but they're obviously still ascendant being so young. I'm pretty sure the entire world is aware of that by now.

The thing is, these things go in cycles. Cities rise and fall and shrink and grow and change over time. This country is still a baby by world standards. In twenty years (or less), Seattle could end up a shell of its former self. I hope it doesn't, but anything's possible. What's more likely is that a new, I'd say improved, Pittsburgh will have clawed its way back from the brink as almost a new city as opposed to a shell of its former self. Or the whole country could collapse and we'll go all Thunderdome. Who knows?
That's a great point. In 100 years, Vegas could be desert again while Detroit and its abundant fresh water is the booming town. Our country is so young that we're still kind of going through a trial & error phase regarding which areas can support population long-term. It wasn't that long ago that New Orleans was our third largest city.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:52 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
If we're talking about uniqueness, and not necessarily cities we LIKE ot that we think are NICE, then I'd have to say (narrowing it down to 4):

1) Las Vegas, Nevada - I've there many times on business, and I hate it there, but, come on, it's cornered the market on quirkiness.[/i]
2) Washington D.C. - It's the only National Capitol we've got, and it's the only city in the WORLD with such fantastically FREE museums all over the place. It's also unique because it's the only US city which does not lie within a state itself. Again, it's not the nicest of cities - I lived there for 4 years and would not care to move back - but it's interesting to visit, and it's quite unique.
3) Honolulu, Hawaii - Our only true city (population over 300k witin the city proper) on a tropical isle in the South Pacific. It's got it's own food, music, flora and fauna, all of which is very famous and totally unique among any city from the other 49 US states. Overall, Honolulu is a not-so-nice city, with some very serious crime, drugs and racial problems (even compared to other, larger cities) but it does happen to be in a totally unique part of this country.
4) Anchorage, Alaska - Our only true city (population over 250k within the city proper) with non-stop daylight during summer months, and also the only city where grizzly bears and moose are are regularly spotted wandering the city streets.
http://animal.discovery.com/tv-sched...803.112349.0.0

Old 07-20-2009, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 12,985 times
durham, nc

/thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
New York City
New Orleans
Las Vegas
Atlantic City
Miami
Honolulu
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Orlando
Washington DC

Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Chicago
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
New York City
Boston
Seattle
San Francisco
Miami
New Orleans
Washington, D.C.
Denver
Las Vegas
Memphis
Atlanta

Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
New York City - Not Really.....
New Orleans - Yes
Las Vegas - Yes
Atlantic City - Sort of......
Miami - Kinda
Honolulu - Yes
San Francisco - Maybe.....
Los Angeles - No
Orlando - No
I'd probably Add:

Santa Fe
San Antonio to some degree.....
Alaska Cities.....
Washington DC

Old 07-20-2009, 04:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Chicago - NO
St. Louis - NO
Pittsburgh - NO
New York City - NO
Boston - NO
Seattle - NO
San Francisco - SURE
Miami - SURE
New Orleans - YES
Washington, D.C. - YES
Denver - NO
Las Vegas - SURE
Memphis - NO
Atlanta - NO

Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
As Appalachia's only large metro area, Pittsburgh is unique by definition. The only city I've seen with an even remotely similar ambiance is Cincinnati.

I can't believe anyone would list Seattle or Portland. I defy someone to distinguish between neighborhoods in those two cities, or Vancouver, BC. Not knocking them, but they're not unique when there are three very similar cities so close together.
They're practically the same city in three different locations. That's not bad though, they're three of the best cities on the continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City