Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 01:48 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I would simply recommend the best five cities in the U.S.

• NYC
  • DC
  • Chicago
  • SF
  • New Orleans

These cities are dynamic, culturally significant and have a plethora of attractions and also give the visitor a true sense of the U.S.

I certainly would never, in good conscience, point someone to Las Vegas. I would not recommend the following either, unless someone has a vested or specific interest in these cities or simply want to enjoy beaches and nice weather (each of these cities have great attributes, just not as many - IMO-- as the five I listed above):
  • Orlando
  • LA
  • Miami
Chicago is one of America’s great cities, but I don’t know if I’d go out of my way to recommend it to a foreigner? To me it would be like recommending Frankfurt to someone visiting Europe?

I also don’t know why you wouldn’t recommend Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 01:52 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
NYC
Miami
Vegas
SF
San Juan

Old 07-21-2021, 01:56 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Chicago is one of America’s great cities, but I don’t know if I’d go out of my way to recommend it to a foreigner? To me it would be like recommending Frankfurt to someone visiting Europe?

I also don’t know why you wouldn’t recommend Los Angeles?
I don’t know if I agree with the premise of the thread. Foreigners don’t all have the same tastes. Chicago offers a lot for tourists in terms of dining, nightlife, museums/cultural attractions, architecture, and doesn’t require a car. And in the summer there’s the beaches and lots of things to do on the water. It just depends on what factors are important to a visitor (and what time of the year it is).

Old 07-21-2021, 04:12 PM

111 posts, read 93,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I would simply recommend the best five cities in the U.S.

• NYC
  • DC
  • Chicago
  • SF
  • New Orleans

These cities are dynamic, culturally significant and have a plethora of attractions and also give the visitor a true sense of the U.S.

I certainly would never, in good conscience, point someone to Las Vegas. I would not recommend the following either, unless someone has a vested or specific interest in these cities or simply want to enjoy beaches and nice weather (each of these cities have great attributes, just not as many - IMO-- as the five I listed above):
  • Orlando
  • LA
  • Miami
Chicago doesn't stand out in any way why on earth would it be recommended over LA? The homerism is ridiculous in this one.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:46 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeternaII View Post
Chicago doesn't stand out in any way why on earth would it be recommended over LA? The homerism is ridiculous in this one.
I agree that LA offers more but it’s not a fun or easy place to get around in, and because the big touristy spots are sorta spread all over it can be a logistical challenge. I used to live there and have visited many times and generally only stayed in one specific area of the metro and not ventured too far, because who wants to spend their vacation sitting in traffic?

Old 07-21-2021, 06:59 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Stepping a bit away from importance/history and focusing on providing a balanced picture of the different Americas, a list like this might work:

An elite city with extreme inequality: San Francisco

A post-industrial city: Cleveland

A city with a large and influential African-American culture: Atlanta

A suburban, family/retirement-oriented city: Phoenix

A conservative, religious city (even if this experience is epitomized by rural America): Oklahoma City

Old 07-21-2021, 07:10 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Stepping a bit away from importance/history and focusing on providing a balanced picture of the different Americas, a list like this might work:

An elite city with extreme inequality: San Francisco

A post-industrial city: Cleveland

A city with a large and influential African-American culture: Atlanta

A suburban, family/retirement-oriented city: Phoenix

A conservative, religious city (even if this experience is epitomized by rural America): Oklahoma City
Wow this.. was .. pretty well rounded, and representative of America and it's history.

+1

Old 07-22-2021, 08:24 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:

Good grief. Do you really think -- as far as urban cities go, that Chicago isn't a more appealing city than LA? Really? Talk about homerism. LA has its charms -- the region itself is appealing, nearness to a varied natural environments, etc. -- but as far as a "city" -- vitality, culture, museums, ease-of-transit, it's lacking. IN MY OPINION, Chicago-- and the other four cities I mentioned, are more appealing than LA for foreign travelers. I think a lot of people would agree with my reasoning.

Also, this is one of the most ridiculous comments I have seen on this board -- "Chicago doesn't stand out in any way why on earth...". What a ridiculous and insecure comment.Please open your mind before spouting against other posters and treat others with respect.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:30 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
According to the 'favorite 5 cities' thread, Chicago is America's favorite US City on CD. Boston and New York round out the top 3.

Chicago sticks out. Im not sure where you are getting it doesnt. Its America's 2nd most urban city with great nightlife, tons of urban walkable neighborhoods and more. Its fantastic.

So yes,
Chicago>LA

Old 07-22-2021, 08:36 AM

111 posts, read 93,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
According to the 'favorite 5 cities' thread, Chicago is America's favorite US City on CD. Boston and New York round out the top 3.

Chicago sticks out. Im not sure where you are getting it doesnt. Its America's 2nd most urban city with great nightlife, tons of urban walkable neighborhoods and more. Its fantastic.

So yes,
Chicago>LA
So we are using a citydata poll to show that Chicago > LA ?

What does Chicago offer to foreigners that LA doesn't? And don't say urban fabric as we have other cities that do that better in the northeast that would likely take precedent over Chicago when it comes to recommendations a visit for foreigners.

I consider myself well traveled and from my experience with foreigners Chicago does not stand out when they are thinking of American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City