Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 05:14 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
For those of you saying NYC.

Yall talking about some blocks around Midtown? Or real NYC.

Everyone should see Riverside Bronx and Flushing Queens
I think you meant Riverdale, Bronx and it is definitely not what many people would expect when they think of the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 06:25 PM

176 posts, read 174,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Once you travelled international, Miami isn't all that exciting. I can think of several international beach destinations that are a more enjoyable time and just a beautiful if not more than Mia.
It is a fact that only NYC receives more international visitors than Miami.
https://ceoworld.biz/2020/01/02/most...elers-in-2019/
Worldwide it is the premier city that offers a tropical beach vacation with all the world class amenities of big cities that are important to tourists (nightlife, hotels, shopping, restaurants, and vibe)

Old 07-30-2021, 09:04 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I think you meant Riverdale, Bronx and it is definitely not what many people would expect when they think of the Bronx.
Did I actually say riverside? Whoops lol

And nope. Its such a cool part of NYC

Old 07-31-2021, 08:27 AM

809 posts, read 468,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If someone picks NYC to visit, going to Chicago would be pointless. That's the same reason I wouldn't suggest Boston, or Philly; they would appear to be miniature versions of NYC.
I do not agree with this sentiment at all, but we'll just leave it there.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:19 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
It also depends on which countries they are visiting from. With Italians NYC followed by Miami are their top 2 choices. With the Japanese, it seems to be Honolulu, LA, and NYC, and then SF, Seattle, and DC. Meanwhile in Atlanta, most foreign visitors seem to be from Germany, although I've met visitors from various other countries such as Brazil.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:32 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It also depends on which countries they are visiting from. With Italians NYC followed by Miami are their top 2 choices. With the Japanese, it seems to be Honolulu, LA, and NYC, and then SF, Seattle, and DC. Meanwhile in Atlanta, most foreign visitors seem to be from Germany, although I've met visitors from various other countries such as Brazil.
+Chinese tourists NYC, SF, LA, Boston.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:16 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Which beach city in the first world is more exciting than Miami?
In what ways does Miami excite you?

Personally, I prefer Barcelona and Los Angeles. Melbourne, Tel Aviv, Hong Kong, Honolulu, and San Juan have a good mix of exciting, cosmopolitan, and beach adjacent. I just don't care as much for nightlife, so Miami isn't particularly special for me.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:13 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
In what ways does Miami excite you?

Personally, I prefer Barcelona and Los Angeles. Melbourne, Tel Aviv, Hong Kong, Honolulu, and San Juan have a good mix of exciting, cosmopolitan, and beach adjacent. I just don't care as much for nightlife, so Miami isn't particularly special for me.
Barcelona, yes. LA and Tel Aviv, maybe. Honolulu and San Juan, no way. (And Melbourne and HK, though great cities, arent really beach towns.)

TBH the notion that Miami has nothing to offer beyond nightlife is at least 10-15 years past its sell-by date. Whether you are looking for great shopping, restaurants, architecture, interesting urban neighborhoods or even cultural attractions, Miami nowadays has something for everyone (and even more so if you include Broward and Palm Beach counties). Downtown is unrecognizable from 20 years ago and inner city neighborhoods that didn't even exist back then are hopping today (look at Wynwood). Of course it's lagging in some major areas if you compare it to European heavyweights like Barcelona or much larger metros like LA. Miami is still a very young city with plenty of maturing left to do. Also its culture and climate is not for everyone. The traffic is terrible and lots of crazy drivers. But if one is looking for great beaches and year-round beach friendly weather, while still having access to diverse amenities of a large and vibrant metropolis, Miami would be on a very short list of cities that fit this bill.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:39 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Not sure about Tel Aviv either….I’ve seen numerous sources refer to Tel Aviv as the Miami of the Middle East; have yet to see Miami referred to as the Tel Aviv of the US or North America (possibly in Orthodox neighborhoods of Miami, nowhere else)….maybe Dubai?—certainly very popular with hot Instagram models, lol.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...ddle-East.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...escapesection1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nat...iddle-east/amp

http://vivalifestyleandtravel.com/te...ael-city-break

LA has a better shot, primarily due to theme parks (though are those considered exciting); those foreigners needing a theme park fix often tie in a visit to Orlando with Miami (about to be made easier once the modern and higher speed rail Brightline expansion is completed shortly) whereas Miami will retain its title as cruise capital of the world once that resumes. LA offers more TV and movie star sighting opportunities whereas I run into top, famous athletes (and some pop music stars) in Miami on a regular basis. Restaurants and shopping are on par; nightlife goes to Miami; beaches—LA has more of them, though none as vibrant as SoBe and the beaches—in particular ocean/ocean temperatures—are more useable year round in Miami, less so in LA….I’d give Miami the edge, overall, on an excitement score as it is a tad more “hedonistic” with more of an exotic/foreign twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Barcelona, yes. LA and Tel Aviv, maybe. Honolulu and San Juan, no way. (And Melbourne and HK, though great cities, arent really beach towns.)

TBH the notion that Miami has nothing to offer beyond nightlife is at least 10-15 years past its sell-by date. Whether you are looking for great shopping, restaurants, architecture, interesting urban neighborhoods or even cultural attractions, Miami nowadays has something for everyone (and even more so if you include Broward and Palm Beach counties). Downtown is unrecognizable from 20 years ago and inner city neighborhoods that didn't even exist back then are hopping today (look at Wynwood). Of course it's lagging in some major areas if you compare it to European heavyweights like Barcelona or much larger metros like LA. Miami is still a very young city with plenty of maturing left to do. Also its culture and climate is not for everyone. The traffic is terrible and lots of crazy drivers. But if one is looking for great beaches and year-round beach friendly weather, while still having access to diverse amenities of a large and vibrant metropolis, Miami would be on a very short list of cities that fit this bill.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-05-2021 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-24-2022, 02:04 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
In my experience, most foreigners when visiting the US prefer the nature over the cities. Bearing that in mind, I would only recommend three:

New York
New Orleans
San Francisco

Besides that, I would suggest getting a rental car and going to national parks / national monuments like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc. Our national park system is one thing that the US really excels at and has the wow factor that will impress visitors overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City