Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 07:40 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
You know what Joe, I'll just delete the post (just did). It isn't worth it to have this conversation as a back-and-forth over something this trivial.

If you want to recommend to your friends and family in Europe (or even to anonymous strangers) to come to America and start going through all their time and money on things and places that have characteristics and amenities that can be had significantly closer to them where they live, often in better quality, then that is fine. That's your prerogative.

Sure, maybe they'll enjoy it, I guess.

I'm baffled as to why they leave some cities off the list to evaluate in one year, but then add them the next year? Also with Argentina and many of the European Countries, why was Miami not listed? Did they not include Miami in their study?

I seems for those countries Miami would be a slam dunk to rank high on the list.

I appreciate your awesome info you contribute to this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 08:17 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
You know what Joe, I'll just delete the post (just did). It isn't worth it to have this conversation as a back-and-forth over something this trivial.

If you want to recommend to your friends and family in Europe (or even to anonymous strangers) to come to America and start going through all their time and money on things and places that have characteristics and amenities that can be had significantly closer to them where they live, often in better quality, then that is fine. That's your prerogative.

Sure, maybe they'll enjoy it, I guess.
Eh, don't worry about him. He's just one of those people that get butthurt only a handful of American cities get 90% of the attention..... it's just how it is.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:36 PM

63 posts, read 75,338 times
I would suggest

1. NYC
2. LA
3. MIA
4. DC
5. ATL or NO (To give em some southern comfort)

Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No one goes to Orlando, they go to DisneyWorld.
But they have to go TO Orlando to go TO Disney World. Just like any other attractions in any other city/metro area. Too, there's much more to do in the Orlando area than just WDW. It couldn't sustain the numbers it does if it didn't; plus we love visiting there and know first-hand. It doesn't consistently pull in the numbers it does for just WDW.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I can agree with New York and San Francisco, but I believe I'd throw in at least one city from mid-America to show what typical average American life is like in a non touristy city in the heartland of America, such as Indianapolis, Kansas City, or Memphis. I think I'd recommend to a foreigner:

New York
San Francisco
Indianapolis
Miami
Denver

Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Chicago has a better balance of things to do during the day and at night (nightlife) than any city not named NYC and LA. Not many cities can match summer time in Chicago.
No better summer weather than Denver's. Low humidity, cool evenings. Lots of festivals, the Rockies, the Rapids and much more, too.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:37 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,895,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
1.ny
2.sf
3.bos
4.chi
5.la

I don't really think DC has a wow factor to a foreigner...
I do, They already gonna think America is this big bad ( bad In a good way) Country, and to see it's capital is gonna be awe inspiring for them, the monuments the Smithsonian the super clean metro/subway and The WHITE HOUSE, I remember the first time I seen the white house , on a 8th grade field trip. you always hear about it read about it see it in movies etc , But to see it In Person!! especially that first glimpse and the first few moments afterwards is like WOOOOOW, I'm sure to the average DC resident who see's it everyday it's nothing special but to the rest of us it truly is a sight to behold, the building itself and the power it holds

Absolute must for a foreigner

New York, Overwhelming City ( I been twice,) So Urban and hustle and bustle it exhausts you, So much going on so much to see and do you can't keep up, American power on full display, Has EVERYTHING you want Sports Beaches nearby, Theme Parks Food Scene, Museums, Cruises,Parks Diversity Shopping Clubs Vibrancy Energy Etc Etc Etc, wish it had mountains but with dat skyline who needs em, in most cities you can see the full skyline without even turning your neck, in New York turn your head all the way to the left all the way to the right and you still cant get the whole skyline in view , you will strain your neck trying to view the whole NYC skyline (from Jersey lol) and Diveeeeerse overwhelmingly diverse for example talk to a black person from ATL like ask a black In ATL for directions you expect them to speak English right, Ask a black person in New York for directions they mite start speaking Swahili or Fulani or something even though you thought there were American
Las Vegas
San Francisco
Chicago
DC/Miami

The above cities if you want to Impress a foreigner

If you wanna show a foreigner the Real America or Heartland America I would suggest

New Orleans
Boston
Atlanta
Nashville
Seattle/Denver

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 09-07-2016 at 03:13 AM..

Old 09-07-2016, 03:14 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Once you see NYC, no other U.S. city's skyscrapers ever seem as impressive.

Omitted from most lists here is Philadelphia. Given the quality of its history and art museums, I would rate it similarly if not higher than Boston, especially if you include nearby attractions such as the Brandywine Valley and the incomparable Longwood Gardens. The only thing that Chicago has over Philadelphia IMO is its skyscrapers, not as important if NYC is on the list.

Take Amtrak from NYC to Philadelphia to Washington, DC.

My list:

NYC

Washington

San Francisco (esp. includ. redwoods, Yosemite)

LA

Philadelphia

Just wanted to give Philadelphia some rep. Philadelphia after NYC, arguably has the best art museums in the U.S. They are world class (e.g., Barnes Foundation, not widely known in the U.S. in addition to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and Penn Museum for antiquities). Independence and Valley Forge National Historical Parks are among the very best in the U.S. (arguably better than anything in Boston) and Gettysburg (foremost among the great U.S. military history parks and also a Cold War site with the Eisenhower National Historical Site) and Lancaster County Amish Country are just to the west.

New Orleans is great for Mardi Gras. Not so great many other times of the year when tourist traffic is slow. It's not so unique for Europeans. Seattle is more unique, especially if the great and nearby national parks are included.

Of course, many visitors would include Orlando for Disney World, and Disneyland definitely boosts the LA ranking. It would be easy to make a case for LA over San Francisco, and vice versa, depending upon interests.

I would include a Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Page, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Colorado, Yellowstone, Salt Lake City, etc., as a stand-alone trip to the U.S. and perhaps preferable for any foreigner over a major city U.S. visit. Throw in NYC, LA, or SF to round out this trip.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-07-2016 at 04:36 AM..

Old 09-07-2016, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I can agree with New York and San Francisco, but I believe I'd throw in at least one city from mid-America to show what typical average American life is like in a non touristy city in the heartland of America, such as Indianapolis, Kansas City, or Memphis. I think I'd recommend to a foreigner:

New York
San Francisco
Indianapolis
Miami
Denver
Indianapolis over Chicago, the capital of the Midwest? Ridiculous IMO. Cleveland is a much better visit than Indianapolis, especially with Cedar Point and Ohio Amish Country nearby.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...h.Country.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Cleveland.html

Old 09-07-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
This is for international overall actual hotel bookings.

Foreign visitors favor isles - Hawaii Business - Starbulletin.com

Top US Destinations for International and Domestic Travelers for First Half of 2009
WHERE THEY'RE GOING

Top U.S. destinations for international and domestic travelers for the first half of 2009:
International Travelers
1. New York
2. Las Vegas
3. San Francisco
4. Miami
5. Los Angeles
6. Orlando, Fla.
7. Chicago
8. Boston
9. San Diego
10. Seattle
11. Washington, D.C.
12. Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
13. Honolulu
14. Newark, N.J.
15. Anaheim, Calif.
16. New Orleans
17. Atlanta
18. San Antonio
19. Houston
20. Key West, Fla.

Domestic Travelers
1. Las Vegas
2. New York
3. Orlando, Fla.
4. Chicago
5. San Francisco
6. Los Angeles
7. San Diego
8. Miami
9. Boston
10. San Antonio
11. Atlanta
12. Seattle
13. Houston
14. New Orleans
15. Washington, D.C.
16. Dallas
17. Denver
18. Anaheim, Calif.
19. Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
20. Philadelphia
This list likely measures airport arrivals.

E.g., it ignores the millions who travel between NYC and Washington, DC, visiting places such as Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City