Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 01:26 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yup. And to your point, more people are probably going to care about history that actually took place in Boston, NYC, Philadelphia than the museums in DC.
And that's my point. I wouldn't even really include NYC, while it has plenty of history, people don't go for NYC's history. They will check out some aspects of it I am sure, but that's not their reason for going there. Like I mentioned before, DC is more like just like a giant museum, showcases the US history that mostly happened in OTHER places. Like the Korean, Vietnam and World War II Memorials. Or the Holocaust Museum. I mean our first black president, the night he was elected and spoke to that crowd of a million people I believe, that wasn't even in DC, that was in Chicago. I would say if someone is interested in Obama, Chicago makes more sense to see than DC. I mean they are even building his presidential library here.....

But that's my point about DC, it holds limited appeal just like Vegas, and heck I would say even Miami. Miami if you don't like the beach or Latin culture, then the appeal is very limited. DC is that same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And why exactly would a European be impressed by Chicago? Especially when NYC is closer. As Red John already stated, NYC offers everything Chicago does, only it's bigger and better.
You're right, I am not saying Chicago needs to be on that list. Like I said before, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Philly and DC can all be interchangeable. But my point is if we are going to put a city on the list so people can experience and see US history then Boston and Philly should come before DC. My personal opinion is that I would put Chicago on that list, but I can completely understand why someone would omit it.

If someone wants to omit Chicago from this list, it's totally valid. Chicago offers more to do than DC, but if someone is interested in American history, monuments and museums, then DC easily beats Chicago, but in that regards, I think Boston and Philly beat DC as they offer history and more.

To me it's kind of like this: would you prefer to go to Ottawa or Montreal for Canadian history? Would you prefer to go to Brasilia or Rio de Janeiro to learn about Brazilian culture?

Cities that were purely built and designed to be just capitals are just that, as are their attractions. For some people that really interests them. For others and I think most people they probably want more.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:37 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I currently live in London, a lot of the cities that people are listing don't even appear to be on the radar here.
There's really nothing that would put Chicago on the radar. Internationally, I would say it has a rather low profile even if it does have a significant global business presence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...e_Architecture

The Sears Tower, for example, is not even that popular in America.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:40 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I currently live in London, a lot of the cities that people are listing don't even appear to be on the radar here.
What American cities are on the radar in london? Just curious.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
There's really nothing that would put Chicago on the radar. Internationally, I would say it has a rather low profile even if it does have a significant global business presence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...e_Architecture

The Sears Tower, for example, is not even that popular in America.
Haha, and your point is?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:41 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
You're right, I am not saying Chicago needs to be on that list. Like I said before, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Philly and DC can all be interchangeable. But my point is if we are going to put a city on the list so people can experience and see US history then Boston and Philly should come before DC. My personal opinion is that I would put Chicago on that list, but I can completely understand why someone would omit it.
People don't necessarily travel to DC to soak in history. They go there because it's famous.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:42 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Surprised there wasn't someone yelling, "MANHATTAN, BROOKLYN, THE BRONX, QUEENS STATEN ISLAND, LOLOLOLOL" because that's really the best answer, true or not.
Please...there is no reason for a tourist to go anywhere outside Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:46 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
What American cities are on the radar in london? Just curious.
New York, then San Francisco, then more distantly Boston. Due to geopolitics, Washington is constantly in the news headlines and on BBC articles. People absolutely know Washington and what it stands for and they even know some sites in the city.

Los Angeles is also very popular among some, but it appears to have just as many haters as lovers here it seems like. Some people here, out of ignorance I would imagine, don't view it as a sophisticated and cultured city. Even though it is a powerhouse cultural center for America. Miami would come next but its popularity appears to be more limited, rather than widespread. Las Vegas after that but its appeal is lower here. Orlando isn't as big here as it is for people in the Americas (both North America and South America), we have a Disneyland themepark in Paris. So that takes care of that.

Beyond that, people here do have an idea of other large American cities but all they really know is that it is big and in America. That's about it.

I would say New York and San Francisco appear to be the most popular American cities here by far, Boston would close out a big three on public perception here, I'd say.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
People don't necessarily travel to DC to soak in history. They go there because it's famous.
You know DC is the 8th most visited city by foreign travelers in the US and Chicago is the 9th right behind it. So if Chicago doesn't offer anything and is so bland, but DC is so unique that means either DC does a **** poor job being ranked right next to Chicago or it's really not that much on the radar.

Actually, for a city that is SO on the radar like DC, and for a city like Chicago that is not, Chicago does pretty damn well if it's ranked right behind such a unique and also the capital city of the US.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:53 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
You know DC is the 8th most visited city by foreign travelers in the US and Chicago is the 9th right behind it. So if Chicago doesn't offer anything and is so bland, but DC is so unique that means either DC does a **** poor job being ranked right next to Chicago or it's really not that much on the radar.

Actually, that is SO on the radar like DC, and for a city like Chicago that is not, Chicago does pretty damn well if it's ranked right behind such a unique and also the capital city of the US.
Chicago is a great city to visit as a foreigner or a domestic traveller. I believe you were pigeonholing DC as only US history. They both do well and are two of my favorites. It's just that Chicago doesn't offer much more then what can do in NYC so why put both when you have to select five. DC would make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City