Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 07:36 PM

574 posts, read 689,134 times

Advertisements

If a foreigner is going to at least a week here, I'm picking city where they won't get board too quick.

NYC (America's Prime City and has just about everything )
LA (2nd best city in the country, the LA experience, great food, lots of attractions)
Chi (great architecture, great food, beach in the summer, lots of attractions)
DC (nations capital, lots of attractions)
Philly (taste of American history, great food, lots of attractions)

San Francisco (can probably be swapped for one of the others without much argument from me)
Miami (has a pretty solid case too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 03:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,891 times
NYC
LA
DC
SF
Miami

When you think about it you realize that 5 limits a lot of good worthy cities....just think these 5 represent the best mix of what foreigners see of the US abroad, history, outright fun and urbanity. Don't like how entire regions get skipped over but its 5 cities only.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:12 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
NYC
LA
DC
SF
Miami

When you think about it you realize that 5 limits a lot of good worthy cities....just think these 5 represent the best mix of what foreigners see of the US abroad, history, outright fun and urbanity. Don't like how entire regions get skipped over but its 5 cities only.
I would swap DC with Chicago or New Orleans.

NYC - No explanation needed
SF - The most beautiful city in the US
Miami - The most exotic and "different" city in the US
Chicago - The most "American" city
LA - Probably the most unique as it's very different

I just think DC holds a limited interested. You rarely ever hear anyone say how much they love DC and love to go there just to visit the city. It's great if you want to see the capital of the country, yeah than swap it for Chicago, but I think outside of the DC experience isn't the most exciting or interesting. Education, that's for sure though. If you are the museum type, that really likes history, then DC by all means over Chicago. If you prefer to be in a more vibrant urban city with wide array of different things to do definitely Chicago.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:36 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
The best thing for "foreigners" to think about when planning a trip to America is - Do I want to see the variety of communities that make up America? Or do I only want to see urban areas that represent only a fraction of American life?

Here are 10 places I'd go to see the "real" America:

1) New York City

2) Lancaster, Pennsylvania

3) Duluth and the Boundary Waters, Minnesota

4) The Iowa State Fair

5) Pine Ridge Lakota Reservation

6) Olympic National Park

7) Los Angeles

8) Las Vegas

9) The Mississippi Delta (AR/MS border)

10) Washington, D.C.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:57 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post

I just think DC holds a limited interested. You rarely ever hear anyone say how much they love DC and love to go there just to visit the city. It's great if you want to see the capital of the country, yeah than swap it for Chicago, but I think outside of the DC experience isn't the most exciting or interesting. Education, that's for sure though. If you are the museum type, that really likes history, then DC by all means over Chicago. If you prefer to be in a more vibrant urban city with wide array of different things to do definitely Chicago.
I am from DC so you won't get any agreement from me on that one...I had a toss up between Chicago and SF and went with SF because I am in tech and think it points more towards the future...from the standpoint of a foreigner the capital has to be on it to get that mix I was referring to...if one were to remove DC from my list it would have to be replaced with Boston or Philly for that history fix...Chicago kinda got screwed on my list because NYC takes care of that vibrant, urban city mix better than anybody...LA is Hollywood and so therefore must be on any foreigners itinerary...I went with Miami over NO and Vegas for that touristy fun spot...BTW DC aint exactly Mayberry either...its vibrant too

Old 08-10-2016, 06:08 PM

431 posts, read 521,516 times
Quote:

How is LA unique? It has large highways that cut through the city, people get around by car, suburban style homes are splattered throughout the city, and it's home to a lot of strip malls. I guess you could say the beach is unique(but then again there are many cities on beaches). I get the whole Entertainment aspect but outside of the big studios and maybe the trashy touristy stuff in Hollywood I felt as if the entertainment aspect isn't that noticeable when I was last there.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:10 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:

Disagree. DC is a more unique city then Chicago. I think Chicago is an amazing city, one of my faves actually, but when it comes to a foreignor visiting, DC is a more unique experience in the US due to the government.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:44 PM

605 posts, read 669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Disagree. DC is a more unique city then Chicago. I think Chicago is an amazing city, one of my faves actually, but when it comes to a foreignor visiting, DC is a more unique experience in the US due to the government.
DC holds more appeal to Americans than it does with foreigners. Most foreigners are not that interested in the US government or US history enough that they want to visit the Capital or other monuments.

Anyways I would recommend the following cities to foreigners since these are among the most unique cities to visit and offer an interesting cultural perspective of the US to visitors.

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. San Francisco
4. Chicago/Philadelphia
5. New Orleans/Miami

Old 08-10-2016, 07:45 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
DC holds more appeal to Americans than it does with foreigners. Most foreigners are not that interested in the US government or US history enough that they want to visit the Capital or other monuments.

Anyways I would recommend the following cities to foreigners since these are among the most unique cities to visit and offer an interesting cultural perspective of the US to visitors.

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. San Francisco
4. Chicago/Philadelphia
5. New Orleans/Miami
Wrong... not according to any of the sources below (just Google "most foreign tourists and many more will come up). DC beats Chicago in number of foreign tourists. According to some not by much but DC is ahead or they are very close.... I wouldn't disagree that DC has as much appeal to foreigners as NYC or LA but neither does Chicago.

https://skift.com/2014/06/18/20-most...elers-in-2013/
The 10 Most Visited Cities in the United States by Foreign Travelers (2013) - Traveler's Digest
20 Most Popular US Cities For International Travelers
Foreign Tourism in the United States

And many more....

I love Chicago but amongst the cities you listed it is the least unique....
NYC, history, urbanity, architecture, skyline, iconic landmarks all over, Manhattan
SF, wine country, landscape, home to the biggest tech companies, the liberal hipster culture
LA, lifestyle, weather, landscape, Hollywood, skiing and sun
Philly, Colonial history, proximity to NYC and DC for a short detour
New Orleans, Mardi gras, French influence, creole, food
Miami, Gateway to Latin america, beaches
Chicago???

Last edited by Ebck120; 08-10-2016 at 08:15 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 PM

131 posts, read 141,408 times
Philly is a better choice than Boston because while they both are clear and away the two best for colonial history, Philly is a bit closer to NYC. It's also really the birthplace of the country and it has the symbols of America (Independence Hall, Liberty Bell). Boston has similar history, but there is no single factor like that. Philly ties it all together better.

Chicago is also inherently American because of it's skyscrapers (an American thing). DC has the government. I would probably pick Chicago between the two because its the more American feeling of the two. I think Chicago is more interesting than DC outside of that. Culturally it has to be Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City