Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 12:49 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Exactly, do people think foreigners come here to learn about European history and culture or something?
Do you really think Europeans care THAT much or are that interested in American history? Because they are not. If they cared that much DC, Boston, and Philly would be the most visited cities in the US by foreigners. but they fall in the bottom 5 of the top 10.

But what are the most visited cities in the US? The more modern ones, like NYC, LA, Miami, Las Vegas, etc. So that should show you how much Europeans care about American history.

I mean how much do you care about Canadian history? Or Mexican history? People in the US and from Europe when they go to Mexico do they go to Mexico for history to for the beach? How about Brazil?

Europeans and Asians as well, their countries have more than enough history than they can digest. American history while interesting, is not THAT interesting or that storied. Europeans come to the US to see what makes the US different, which is why I think Philly and Boston represent that better because they have a better mix of things to do and with a lot of national history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 12:55 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Well from my experience and what I have heard most Europeans aren't as interested in the historical cities, seeing as they live and breath it every single day. Europeans tend to be more interested in either modern places like LA, NYC, Chicago, or more beach vacations like Miami or the Carribbean.

A European in general is not going to be all that impressed with DC, AGAIN unless they really have a love for American history and monuments.

And I am not dismissing DC's museums. Where did you get that from? I am saying what does DC mostly offer? Museums, history, and monuments. That's about it. So if you really aren't into museums or history, then DC doesn't offer all that much then. My point is that places like Boston and Philly offer museums and history too, but if you are not into that there is a lot more to see and do in those cities.

I never said that visitors come for the beach for Chicago, but plenty of people do go to the beach and it's an option if you get tired of doing city stuff. Hey, make fun of Chicago's beaches all you want, but at least we have them (52 of them) and how many does DC have?

Again, DC is like Las Vegas where the appeal is limited in regards for a tourist. Not saying there isn't anything to do in DC, but it all revolves around museums and monuments. That's not for everybody.
You seem too dismissive of DC's neighborhoods and architecture as if it's not worth visiting imo. You'll go on about Chicago's beaches but act like DC has nothing worth visiting outside of museums and monuments. Amazing...

Old 08-11-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I'm not understanding what you can do in Chicago that you can't do in the other cities, which is why I would suggest DC. I get all of the other cities as they offer unique weather, experiences, outings, culture etc. I would understand Miami, Philly or Boston as well and mind you I think Chicago is a great city.
I agree, that Chicago's unique factor isn't quite there, but I think out of the major cities it's probably the most "American" when compared to LA, NYC, SF, DC, or Miami.

If you are looking for unique experiences I don't think Chicago is on that list. But if you are looking for places that best represent the US I think Chicago is a good one to have.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
You seem too dismissive of DC's neighborhoods and architecture as if it's not worth visiting imo. You'll go on about Chicago's beaches but act like DC has nothing worth visiting outside of museums and monuments. Amazing...
OMG you keep missing my point. DC's neighborhoods are nice, and actually that is my favorite thing about DC, but the neighborhoods aren't really anything to write home about either. My point is if we are going to put in a city for historical purposes, then I would put in Philly and Boston over DC.

For example Boston neighborhoods have more character and are more interesting than DC's. I haven't been to Philly yet, but I am sure one can say that too. DC has a very sterile feel to it, that even outside of the Mall area, with it's beautiful European architecture, it still feels very sterile. There really isn't a "DC culture" it's so transient.

In other cities you really feel the city's culture through ethnic enclaves or just the way people are. I mean is anyone really even from DC that lives in DC?! It just feels like a very transient city and sterile. To me DC is like a museum. Some great things to look at and learn about, but it's lacks a certain character found in other comparable cities.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Do you really think Europeans care THAT much or are that interested in American history? Because they are not. If they cared that much DC, Boston, and Philly would be the most visited cities in the US by foreigners. but they fall in the bottom 5 of the top 10.

But what are the most visited cities in the US? The more modern ones, like NYC, LA, Miami, Las Vegas, etc. So that should show you how much Europeans care about American history.

I mean how much do you care about Canadian history? Or Mexican history? People in the US and from Europe when they go to Mexico do they go to Mexico for history to for the beach? How about Brazil?

Europeans and Asians as well, their countries have more than enough history than they can digest. American history while interesting, is not THAT interesting or that storied. Europeans come to the US to see what makes the US different, which is why I think Philly and Boston represent that better because they have a better mix of things to do and with a lot of national history.
I never suggested they come here specifically for the history. But it is something you soak up when you visit places unless you're going to a place like Vegas or Orlando that is a niche market.

Your analogies are terrible. Clearly people go to beach destination for, wait for it.... THE BEACH. Do people go to Mexico City for the beach? What do you think they do there? You don't think they visit the historical monuments? Museums there?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:02 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:

But unlike other countries capitals DC is all over media and Hollywood and Obama is a household name. The white house alone gets destroyed ever other film. If not for US history, then the media/hollywood factor of DC plays into DC's tourism allure. DC is more the just US history.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:04 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
I think Washington makes a really compelling case as a destination to foreigners. All foreigners really pay for is their hotels, their transport costs, and their food and in return they get to see some very iconic institutions or artifacts and for the ones that aren't iconic, they are legit cultural establishments.

More or less, the best attractions in the city are free of charge; the Smithsonian National Museum, Korean War Veterans Memorial, National World War II Memorial, President Lincoln's Cottage, Library of Congress, National Archives, Arlington National Cemetery, the Supreme Court, National Portrait Gallery, National Postal Museum, Tudor Place, Clara Barton Missing Soldiers Office Museum, National Pentagon 9/11 Memorial, Freer Gallery of Art & Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, White House, United States Capitol Building, the Smithsonian Castle, among several others.

These are all free of charge and are all top quality establishments. You can read the Declaration of Independence, you can see the United States Constitution, you can see a lot of what makes the United States great there. This isn't even including all the greenspaces and parklands in the city.

Honestly, if the question was "what are the 5 most important cities in the United States" or "what are the 5 best overall cities in the United States?" then Chicago would be a lock for the top 5. However the question is if you had to recommend just 5 cities to foreigners, no way should Chicago be top 5, in my opinion, if it is top 5 then you have to take New York off the list altogether. Everything Chicago has to offer is covered in New York, so why repeat a lot of the same stuff? Just go somewhere completely different, somewhere that has things New York and the other cities in the top 5 don't have an answer to; therefore Washington DC is in, Chicago is out, in my personal opinion.

I know Chicago has its own style and does things its own ways, but its also true that everything Chicago offers is covered by New York too. Remember foreigners spend thousands to travel to the United States, airline tickets aren't free, neither are hotels and transport costs, so why go to BOTH New York AND Chicago? Skip one of them, more likely Chicago. If you're going to more than 5 cities, then yes, absolutely, Chicago belongs.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,026 times
Quote:
Well from my experience and what I have heard most Europeans aren't as interested in the historical cities, seeing as they live and breath it every single day. Europeans tend to be more interested in either modern places like LA, NYC, Chicago, or more beach vacations like Miami or the Carribbean.
I have a good number of European friends, and all that I know prefer beach vacations over city vacations (it's been a conversation piece more than once). Because so many live urban lives, they don't tour around to different cities on their time away. That doesn't mean it's the case for everyone, but I think that's a more common perspective than the American perspective.

I think there are some exceptions. Many Europeans go to Florida when visiting the US, but there are a quite of few that visit SF, NYC or a choice few other places. But I do agree that folks living in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Kyoto, Buenos Aires, Rio, or even much smaller (but urban) foreign cities are not going to care about visiting US cities.

If I were to guess, these would be the cities many foreigners would be interested in:

Disney (Orlando)
Honolulu
LA
Miami
NYC
San Fran

Most Americans, on the other hand, live much less urban lives. Hence why so many go to Europe and other places to see real urban cities.

I would also be willing to wager that foreigners from other low density countries, such as Australia, would be more in line with the American choices.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I never suggested they come here specifically for the history. But it is something you soak up when you visit places unless you're going to a place like Vegas or Orlando that is a niche market.

Your analogies are terrible. Clearly people go to beach destination for, wait for it.... THE BEACH. Do people go to Mexico City for the beach? What do you think they do there? You don't think they visit the historical monuments? Museums there?
But that's my point, if not for history why else would you go to DC?

And I brought in the Mexico comparison because that was my whole point. If people were THAT interested in history you would then see more people going to Mexico City or other Mexican cities to experience this history and monuments than do beach vacation. But that's not the case. Most people go to Mexico for the beaches because they aren't THAT interested in Mexico's history and history in general. Same deal with US.

There is a reason so many people from Europe go to Miami. If Europeans were interested in the US history then Boston, DC, and Philly would get more visitors than Miami, but they do not.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
OMG you keep missing my point. DC's neighborhoods are nice, and actually that is my favorite thing about DC, but the neighborhoods aren't really anything to write home about either. My point is if we are going to put in a city for historical purposes, then I would put in Philly and Boston over DC.

For example Boston neighborhoods have more character and are more interesting than DC's. I haven't been to Philly yet, but I am sure one can say that too. DC has a very sterile feel to it, that even outside of the Mall area, with it's beautiful European architecture, it still feels very sterile. There really isn't a "DC culture" it's so transient.

In other cities you really feel the city's culture through ethnic enclaves or just the way people are. I mean is anyone really even from DC that lives in DC?! It just feels like a very transient city and sterile. To me DC is like a museum. Some great things to look at and learn about, but it's lacks a certain character found in other comparable cities.
It still has nice architecture, good urban form, and vibrancy. Something that is lacking in a city like LA for example. Sure it's more sterile than Boston or Philly, but not so much so it is not worth visiting as it's a fairly well rounded city overall despite that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City