Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:56 AM

177 posts, read 431,335 times

Advertisements

Verzion, is going to add 500 high paying jobs to the Tulsa area, as it becomes their finance service center.
Verizon picks Tulsa for 500-job financial services center | Tulsa World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Instead of trying to put up the argument, reread your first replied comment. The word "if" is stated. So either you are illiterate or you do not understand the word "if". You would be better off acting as if there's no Charlotte-Wells Fargo connection than continuously posting yoour incorrect statements.
I clearly understood the direction you were heading with your statement.

The only person who is getting bent out of shape over this is you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
For some unknown reason I keep getting 6 fortune 500 for Charlotte NC from this internet LINK...
Fortune 500 2012: States: North Carolina Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com
The Charlotte MSA (NC & SC) has 9 Fortune 500 companies.
2012 Fortune 500
Bank of America Corp.
Lowe's
Nucor
Duke Energy
Family Dollar Stores
Goodrich
Sonic Automotive
SPX
Domtar

Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
For some unknown reason I keep getting 6 fortune 500 for Charlotte NC from this internet LINK...
Fortune 500 2012: States: North Carolina Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com
Two of them (Lowe's and Family Dollar) are in suburbs of Charlotte. The ninth is in an SC suburb.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I clearly understood the direction you were heading with your statement.

The only person who is getting bent out of shape over this is you.
You obviously took it out of context, but there's no use in arguing over the same thing.

Have a great day.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
Verzion, is going to add 500 high paying jobs to the Tulsa area, as it becomes their finance service center.
Great catch for Tulsa.

Tulsa is definitely up and coming, but its going take a lot to get it to where Charlotte is today. For some reason I can't see anywhere in Oklahoma attracting hundreds of thousands of transplants the way Charlotte has. I know Oklahoma City doesn't quite have the natural draw nor the cosmopolitan flair Charlotte has to be able to do it. Tulsa is slightly ahead of OKC but there really isn't that much of a difference. Charlotte, like Atlanta, is in a unique position to be attractive to people looking to get away from the rat-race of the Bos-Wash corridor without sacrificing too much quality of life. Transplants moving to the Great Plains corridor are far more likely to choose Dallas, Austin, or Houston (I know it's a Gulf Coast city and not a Plains city, but its in the same corridor) than Tulsa or Oklahoma City, both of which would offer a much lower quality of life than what they are accustomed to.

I moved to Oklahoma City from Charlotte, and I am having a difficult time adjusting, but having spent most of my formative years in this area of the country its less of a culture shock for me than it would be for somebody from one of the major metropolitan areas in the Northeast.

Charlotte wouldn't be what it is today without its flood of transplants. It's a very transient city, most people you meet in Charlotte are from somewhere else. In Oklahoma's cities, most people you meet were either born and raised there, or relocated from a small town in Oklahoma or one of the neighboring states of Arkansas or Kansas.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Default Great For North Tulsa OK

Quote:
This is great for the Tulsa International Airport Area , hats off

Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 PM

Default Bchris02 I Think Its Your AGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Great catch for Tulsa.

Tulsa is definitely up and coming, but its going take a lot to get it to where Charlotte is today. For some reason I can't see anywhere in Oklahoma attracting hundreds of thousands of transplants the way Charlotte has. I know Oklahoma City doesn't quite have the natural draw nor the cosmopolitan flair Charlotte has to be able to do it. Tulsa is slightly ahead of OKC but there really isn't that much of a difference. Charlotte, like Atlanta, is in a unique position to be attractive to people looking to get away from the rat-race of the Bos-Wash corridor without sacrificing too much quality of life. Transplants moving to the Great Plains corridor are far more likely to choose Dallas, Austin, or Houston (I know it's a Gulf Coast city and not a Plains city, but its in the same corridor) than Tulsa or Oklahoma City, both of which would offer a much lower quality of life than what they are accustomed to.

I moved to Oklahoma City from Charlotte, and I am having a difficult time adjusting, but having spent most of my formative years in this area of the country its less of a culture shock for me than it would be for somebody from one of the major metropolitan areas in the Northeast.

Charlotte wouldn't be what it is today without its flood of transplants. It's a very transient city, most people you meet in Charlotte are from somewhere else. In Oklahoma's cities, most people you meet were either born and raised there, or relocated from a small town in Oklahoma or one of the neighboring states of Arkansas or Kansas.
I think that people who are not young would not have the slap in the face CULTURE SHOCK as those who are in theirs 20's and 30's IMHO

Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Two of them (Lowe's and Family Dollar) are in suburbs of Charlotte. The ninth is in an SC suburb.
Thanks for the great input Charlotte region is really a great area.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
It is a cultural shock indeed, visited the Tulsa area last year around Labour Day for the first time, from the Greater Cleveland area, even though it's technically not in the Northeast--but it is close enough to say that it was quite different. Tulsa's much hotter, a bit flatter, and very open. Even suburban Cleveland area is far more dense, one would have to go to the extreme edges of Cuyahoga to find some space. As for those Fortune 500's Cleveland area has 10. But I do think given another 10 or 20 yrs, Tulsa and OKC will eventually be on there way up there, hopefully...
For me, the culture shock is not so much how spread out everything is. I came from Charlotte, which has the same problem. In fact, Charlotte has a worse walkscore than even OKC does.

The culture shock comes more from the conservative way of life here. All of the emphasis is placed on families around here and there isn't much for young singles in their 20s and 30s. Most people get married straight out of high school, or finish college and move away it seems.

There also isn't much outdoor recreation period. I know this is the Great Plains, but Charlotte is in the Piedmont region of NC which has a similar terrain and they've made the best of it. OKC doesn't have any parks like Freedom Park or Colonel Francis Beatty Park in Charlotte, and there is nothing in the terrain here stopping such a park from existing. OKC is planning a new downtown park though which from the renderings, looks like the type of place this city desperately needs so I wish they would build it sooner rather than later.

I've heard Tulsa has much better parks than OKC does.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:27 PM

108 posts, read 543,128 times
I thought I would kick in a few pictures of the Tulsa Skyline.

I view of downtown Tulsa at night this picture shows modern and art deco which Tulsa is well known for.

Tulsa boasts the nation’s third-largest collection of art deco. This view of downtown Tulsa shows some of the art deco buildings,

Tulsa looking from the 51st bridge, clear blue skies are common in Tulsa

Looks like I got hung up on the bridge pictures I will show other views of the Tulsa Skyline they are on my other computer.

Tulsa downtown picture shows a lot of buildings in one picture. Photo by John Shoemaker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City