Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Personally I Think southern Hip hop Changed Rap today.I Liked the rap bak in the day,Now the south Has Turned it around.I Hate main street most of all the artist today you hear on the radio are from the South.I'll just stick to Underground rap,It's knowledge rap not the bs rap these days.J5,Immortal technique,Fort minor,Living legends,Jedi mind tricks, etc.Lupe fiasco is the only main street rapper I Like,But it's stupid how the radio only played Superstar,It's not the only good song on his album,In fact I Like Hip hop Saved my life,the coolest,Streets on fire,Paris,Put you on game better than Superstar.
I wouldn't say the South changed it. But sadly it does deserve some of the blame for today's rap music. But again, Diddy was the one that opened the doors to the mainstream. The rest just followed suit.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
The difference is back then they actually had lyrical ability and the early 90s gangsta rappers were actually gangsta. Now a days I wouldnt be afraid of a mainstream rapper unlike in the early 90s you would be intimidated by a West coast guy like Ice Cube for example. I personally think hip hop died when the wave of good ny rappers died like B.I.G., Pun, Big L and oakland's 2 pac even though he was born in Brooklyn.
Understandable. But again, they had a message in their music back in the very early 90s. But it got out of hand when the gunplay and the drugs and them talking about women starting to appear more in their music. This started around 1993.

I listen to somebody like Elzhi and I wonder why people do not give him the time of day. Man I stay playing The Preface on my Ipod.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
But I gotta say most of the stuff biggie talked about was made up too. I think the only guys who actually lived wat they talked about were nas, snoop dogg, big L, Big Pun, and MAYBE jayz. And thats a big MAYBE. I'm not saying people should glorify their rough past but they shouldn't act like something they're not either
Maybe in the mainstream, but there are a lot of West Coast artists who did live what they rap about. DJ Quik, MC Eiht, The Whoridas, Dresta & BG Knocc Out, Jayo Felony, Mac Dre, Dub C, Mack 10, Coolio, Tha Eastsidaz, X-Raided, C-Bo, Sicx, The Game (supposedly), Jay Rock, Big Syke, Messy Marv, Sen Dog, B-Real, Seagram, Young Lay, Mac D (Down-n-Dirty Hustlas) & Mac Minister all really lived what they rap about.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Maybe in the mainstream, but there are a lot of West Coast artists who did live what they rap about. DJ Quik, MC Eiht, The Whoridas, Dresta & BG Knocc Out, Jayo Felony, Mac Dre, Dub C, Mack 10, Coolio, Tha Eastsidaz, X-Raided, C-Bo, Sicx, The Game (supposedly), Jay Rock, Big Syke, Messy Marv, Sen Dog, B-Real, Seagram, Young Lay, Mac D (Down-n-Dirty Hustlas) & Mac Minister all really lived what they rap about.
Salt Lake Rap is where it's at. Back in the day you had the original MC's like Cougar-X, DubNephi, DJ Mix-a-bunch, Caffeine Fiend Freddy, X-Lake-City, and then the new school with dudes like Manti Posse, Brigham MackDadday, Steve Young MC, The ProvoSidaz, SkiThuggin', Dr. Dru, Ice Patch, ScootWoolfie Woolf, Miszdemeanor, Salt-ridaz, Biggie Big Biggum and Macaroni Mackin (Fair-n-Hawnest Sellaz), Big Myke and they all really lived on the streets of Utah and lived what they rap about, YO.

Peace out!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I wouldn't say the South changed it. But sadly it does deserve some of the blame for today's rap music. But again, Diddy was the one that opened the doors to the mainstream. The rest just followed suit.
I blame Puff (I refuse to call him Diddy) for sissifying the mainstream and encouraging the type of garbage music that dominates the airwaves today. Signing under his label is the kiss of death for an artist. Think about how many short careers have gone through his hands. Don't expect to have anything more than 2 albums and have that brought to everyone's attention if you wanna go to Bad Boy. Look at how many careers ended after starting with Bad Boy: Craig Mack, Biggie (for separate reasons), 112, Lil' Kim, Mase, Loon, Little Cease & all of Harlem World & Junior Mafia, Black Rob, Shyne (for just being an idiot), Total, Da Band (lol), Dream, and now Danity Kane! Who from Bad Boy has had a career that didn't end abruptly? He's had a lot of talent pass through his label, but he's unbelievably bad at running it. And he's the most overrated producer I can think of.

Jermaine Dupri may be what Xzibit called him, a "cockeyed midget with a Napoleon Complex," but at least he has produced SOME talent that has lasted.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:19 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
ya I ment mainstream, mybad.
btw Jay rock is a beast! i heard him on a song with nipsey hussle and maino. He went in on thatt song

Old 04-27-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
ya I ment mainstream, mybad.
btw Jay rock is a beast! i heard him on a song with nipsey hussle and maino. He went in on thatt song
Oh yeah?! I don't think I heard that. Do you know the name of the track?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,286 times
Quote:
I blame Puff (I refuse to call him Diddy) for sissifying the mainstream and encouraging the type of garbage music that dominates the airwaves today. Signing under his label is the kiss of death for an artist. Think about how many short careers have gone through his hands. Don't expect to have anything more than 2 albums and have that brought to everyone's attention if you wanna go to Bad Boy. Look at how many careers ended after starting with Bad Boy: Craig Mack, Biggie (for separate reasons), 112, Lil' Kim, Mase, Loon, Little Cease & all of Harlem World & Junior Mafia, Black Rob, Shyne (for just being an idiot), Total, Da Band (lol), Dream, and now Danity Kane! Who from Bad Boy has had a career that didn't end abruptly? He's had a lot of talent pass through his label, but he's unbelievably bad at running it. And he's the most overrated producer I can think of.
LOL, I don't get the short career thing either.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 AM

Total just vanished out of thin air. They came out with trippin in 1998 and Sittin home the very next year in early 1999 and haven't been heard from since.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:01 PM

12 posts, read 22,913 times
Nice memories It was old school rap is the best like ((TUPAC)) real singers 4 real talk,&Biggie,Easy-E,All DeathRow records..
and some rappers still a live Ice cube,dj quick,nate dogg,mack10,dub c,keath sweat,aww Mariah carrey,
mix old & new..enjoy it & feel high!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City