Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF vs Chic
San Francisco 161 40.97%
Chicago 232 59.03%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,506 times

Advertisements

Oh no, the thing I haven't even linked yet has already been discredited by some weird sarcasm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 02:19 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Mitt Romney would be President if online polling was accurate.

Still waiting for the incontrovertable evidence that the city of LA "didn't want the thing."

Old 06-27-2014, 02:35 PM

37,154 posts, read 39,418,669 times
I think this museum could be great depending on their interpretation of narrative art is and how broadly the museum sees its mission. If it can expand well beyond Lucas's own works and possessions (which seem to be pretty impressive), then I can see this being a great museum.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:50 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think this museum could be great depending on their interpretation of narrative art is and how broadly the museum sees its mission. If it can expand well beyond Lucas's own works and possessions (which seem to be pretty impressive), then I can see this being a great museum.
Considering the range of films that LucasFilm's ILM has been involved in--and the firsts they've achieved in said films--I can see the museum having a lot more to offer than just Star Wars.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Considering the range of films that LucasFilm's ILM has been involved in--and the firsts they've achieved in said films--I can see the museum having a lot more to offer than just Star Wars.
The whole point of the museum is story telling/narration through the visual arts. Not to just say "oh look at this cool piece of tech that was used in _____." It has nothing 100% to do with film, though it's a portion of it. They'll be focusing on 19th and 20th century art/illustration, as well as film, 3d animation, digital art, special effects, technology in art/movies, etc.

The media has done a crap job of explaining what the museum actually is. There's a reason the museum is now called the "Lucas Museum of Narrative Arts."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vacSFe7DhC8

Old 06-27-2014, 03:01 PM

37,154 posts, read 39,418,669 times
For those interested, here's the future museum's website which tries to express its aims. Looks pretty good. Glad it explicitly states that Lucas's works and collections are just the initial seed.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:03 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For those interested, here's the future museum's website which tries to express its aims. Looks pretty good. Glad it explicitly states that Lucas's works and collections are just the initial seed.
Yep

Quote:
Narrative art tells a story. The genre uses the power of the visual image to ignite imaginations, evoke emotions and capture universal cultural truths and aspirations. What distinguishes narrative art from other genres is its ability to capture a shared experience across diverse cultures preserving it for future generations.
Quote:
The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art will be a gathering place to experience narrative art and the evolution of moving images – from illustration to cinema to the digital mediums of the future. The museum’s seed collection – a gift from founder George Lucas – spans a century-and-a-half and features the images and the mediums that have profoundly shaped our cultural heritage. The foundational collection will continue to grow and evolve as the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art acquires more works.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:16 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The whole point of the museum is story telling/narration through the visual arts. Not to just say "oh look at this cool piece of tech that was used in _____." It has nothing 100% to do with film, though it's a portion of it. They'll be focusing on 19th and 20th century art/illustration, as well as film, 3d animation, digital art, special effects, technology in art/movies, etc.

The media has done a crap job of explaining what the museum actually is. There's a reason the museum is now called the "Lucas Museum of Narrative Arts."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vacSFe7DhC8
Let's be real.

I highly doubt his museum is going to take away from what his own company (prior to the sale to Disney anyway) has done to involve itself in that narrative. Not that the museum won't include what happened without him or his company, but a museum entirely on his own dime is surely to focus on what George Lucas and what his own company, ILM, did for the film industry is far more realistic. To pretend otherwise is frankly ridiculous.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:31 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Uhhh, okay I'll bite....Why are we talking about George Lucas again...???

Old 06-28-2014, 09:24 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Anyway, any predictions on when the Chicago CSA's population will surpass 10,000,000?

2013 Combined Statistical Area(CSA) Population
Chicago-Naperville 9,912,730
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 8,469,854

Numerical Change, 2012-2013
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland +105,295
Chicago-Naperville +21,493

Numerical Change, 2010-2013
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland +316,158
Chicago-Naperville +71,801

Percentage Change, 2012-2013
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland +1.3%
Chicago-Naperville +0.2%

Percentage Change, 2010-2013
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland +3.88%
Chicago-Naperville +0.73%

IMO, I think all it takes is 1 really good economic boom year. I can't really explain why Chicago's growth has slowed down so much(the recession perhaps?) but I do recall that a decade ago(2002-2003), The Bay Area's population growth had slowed to a trickle(much slower than Chicago if I recall correctly) due to the dot com bust, then it began to pick up a little mid decade and then since 2010, it's been actually quite brisk, due to the current economic boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City